Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Retina Display

patters e2
10 1.8k 1 United Kingdom
24 Jun 2012 8:09PM
Hi folks
When looking at displays, normally, the more dots a display has, the more 'real estate' you have to play with in mdi type applications, and if you have a text editor open with say 10 point font, you would get more text lines/columns on the page.

I saw the new MacBook pro in store today. It's supposed to have more dots than any other laptop, yet it didnt look any different, and in display preferences, there was no indication of resolution or the ability to change it.

Does anyone have one yet or know whats the rub?

Cheers
Pat
PS. COME ON ENGLAND!!!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

24 Jun 2012 8:23PM
read a right up on macbook pro saying you cant upgrade them.some people who normally take this stuff apart to find all the info as to wat makes em tick found that battery and other stuff impossible to remove so no chance of upgradeing them urself.where as the macbook iv got you can change battery and hard drive urself
patters e2
10 1.8k 1 United Kingdom
24 Jun 2012 8:41PM
Your right Rob, but when 8 gig of additional memory is only 160 quid, and 500 meg drive is solid state, I probably won't be interested in upgrading, apart from the whole thing in 3 or 4 years

I would however be interested if anyone has an opinion on my original question?
Cheers
Patters
24 Jun 2012 8:56PM
reading apple info on mac pro resolutions 2880x1800 tho dont know bout changeing it
patters e2
10 1.8k 1 United Kingdom
24 Jun 2012 9:00PM
Yes, but like the iPad, the dots per inch are more, but the interface doesn't have smaller looking fonts etc
rogerfry e2
9 525 United Kingdom
24 Jun 2012 9:03PM
Look on [link=store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro/select]this page[/link], and you can see all the screen resolutions that you can set.
patters e2
10 1.8k 1 United Kingdom
24 Jun 2012 9:13PM
Cheers, but I think my question is, will I be able to see more of, say a web page? Because on an iPad 2 vs a new iPad, you can't see more, but what you can see is crisper
newfocus e2
8 644 2 United Kingdom
25 Jun 2012 10:56PM
As far as I can tell (from reading - I haven't used one), the resolution will be used to increase detail, not increase screen real estate. I guess that makes some sense - I can't say I'd want all the fonts to suddenly be half as big as they currently are on a 15" screen.

What isn't clear to me is just how much use existing desktop apps such as Photoshop can make (or not) of the extra resolution. Ideally, you'd want the fonts to be the same actual size on screen (but clearer) whereas images being edited would make use of all of the pixels to show more of the image when viewed at 1:1. This will probably involve changes to software such as Photoshop and there have been some discussions on the Adobe forum around whether various versions of CS might get an upgrade but the only 'official' info I've found so far is that CS6 will include some specific support, e.g. http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2012/06/photoshop-cs6-retina-display-support.html
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
26 Jun 2012 10:10AM
You won't see more midi tracks or anything else unless they let you increase the resolution. If there are more pixels on the screen (ppi) then I can't see why you are unable to increase screen resolution.

I remember hi res CRTs which you could run at something like 2048 x 1536, loads more space but fonts difficult to read but you'd just change global font scaling to 125% of normal.

Go into the Appl£ store and get the same web page up on the new computer and at the same tim on an older model with the same physical screen size. If you can see more of the page on the new Macbook then it's running at a higher res.

Would you be happy with the inflexibility? A lot of Mac video guys hate this new model. Disk space for video is insufficient / too expensive for them due to SSD, unlike earlier Pro models, you can't upgrade easily as standard 2.5 inch drives don't fit and the ram is soldered in. They don't want to invest 2k in something like that.
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
26 Jun 2012 10:26AM

Quote:Disk space for video is insufficient / too expensive for them due to SSD, unlike earlier Pro models, you can't upgrade easily as standard 2.5 inch drives don't fit and the ram is soldered in.

It does seem the most bizare set of restrictions they have built in to this, perhaps you will be able to get SSD upgrade from Apple stores later but it all seems a bit limiting.
I just upgraded my laptop to 1TB HDD & .25TB SSD and I'm still thinking I might be short of disk in 6 months or so.

And what is it with tiny 15" screens ?
26 Jun 2012 5:46PM

Quote:And what is it with tiny 15" screens ?

I would've thought the whole point of a laptop computer is to be portable. The bigger it gets, the less portable it is, I suppose.

That's the very reason I've a laptop with an 11.6" screen. I can take it anywhere. (Not a Mac... I can't afford one).

The lack up upgrade options does seem very bizarre. I guess they're relying on uptake of the thunderbolt standard for external storage (for those working with video)? Still doesn't explain why RAM is not upgradeable.

A guy I know uses a Drobo for storage when working with video. I guess something like that is the best compromise.
newfocus e2
8 644 2 United Kingdom
26 Jun 2012 10:54PM
I wouldn't be too bothered about the storage restriction personally - I have about 4TB of data these days in total so that pretty much rules out storing it all internally in a laptop anyway and most serious stuff I do needs to be available to others when I'm offline, so it needs to be on networked storage of some kind. My laptop drive really only needs to be big enough for software and work in progress. 15" screens suit me as a compromise between portability and usability too.

The lack of upgradability would worry me though, particularly the inability to replace memory and the hard drive. There doesn't seem any particular need to make the current Macbook Pros any smaller and this change just seems an inconvenience for little real benefit.
27 Jun 2012 9:29AM
Reports of a 'screen burn' issue with the Retina Display are also quite worrying. Sad
patters e2
10 1.8k 1 United Kingdom
27 Jun 2012 10:37PM
Cheers Folks
I did go to the apple shop and compare. The 'Retina' resolution is the same as a 15 inch macbook pro, 1440 x 900 (retina mode), so a full screen web page crops at the same place. The display actually has 2880 x 1800 dots but the driver will allow non retina mode 1920 x 1200 and then of course you can see more when comparing the web page, so that is what I was hoping, all good.

Interestingly, reports suggest that windows 7 will show the full 2880 x 1800. I'm guessing that apple os doesn't go this far because on a 15 inch screen it might cause eye strain, but they should leave that decision to the user?

Regarding upgrades, back when I bought the macbook I'm typing on now, the upgrade from 4 to 8 gig was about 400 quid. The new macbook upgrade from 8-16 is only 140 quid, so its a no brainer to get the full amount straight off

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.