Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Retirement age to be raised to 68.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Bridgelayer
8 Aug 2009 - 11:51 AM

It's nice to know that the retirement age is expected to be raised to at least 68 and probably 70 in the near future. There aren't enough funds in the pot.

Could this be due to the fact that British Forces are expected to remain in Afghanistan for the next 40 years and the billions that are being poured into Iraq?

Or is it that Mandelson needs to fund his stay in Corfu swanning around with his rich crowd on the yacht, probably paid for by the taxpayer? (I know it's his mates yacht, but did Mandy buy it with his expenses?)

Thank God I retire in 318 days!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Aug 2009 - 11:51 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102286 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
8 Aug 2009 - 12:38 PM

First of all, I hope you enjoy a happy retirement in nearly a years time (in spite of the economic and political insanity of our masters).
Hopefully you will be able to do plenty of photography!
I retired in 2004 at the early age of 60 - one of those cushy civil service jobs with an occupational pension Wink
Mind you, I was at the bottom of the ladder and so I'm not exactly in the Mandelson bracket!
Anyway, I'm content and get by fairly comfortably.
I don't envy the rich, but I resent the way they deprive many people much worse off than myself of a decent standard of living. Oh, and of course I agree with you about Iraq and Afghanistan.

Garth

Last Modified By gcarth at 8 Aug 2009 - 12:39 PM
ventile
ventile  7152 forum posts Wales
8 Aug 2009 - 1:07 PM

How can we not afford to pay pensions?When we are the most taxed country in the world!!

mark_delta
8 Aug 2009 - 1:14 PM

The UK recently wrote off Billions in loans to the third world such as Africa as a act of goodwill, unfortunately these government loans consisted of your pension money you had worked hard all your life for which had been invested in bonds secured on these loans , so in short despite what the NL bumwhits say, they, the corrupt African dictatorships got away with spending billions of pounds of free money supplied by YOU and our governments, Tory And the NL alike and had the debt written off, which for anyone with a dogs Dinner understanding of Economics will know that this now means that your pension money has all gone up in smoke, but dont worry you will now "live longer" as a consequence because Gordon Brown and David Cameron have given you permission to do so.....

Last Modified By mark_delta at 8 Aug 2009 - 1:18 PM
redsnappa
redsnappa  111911 forum posts United Kingdom
8 Aug 2009 - 1:23 PM

Oh no, yet another daily mail readers thread!

mark_delta
8 Aug 2009 - 1:28 PM

[quoteOh no, yet another daily mail readers thread!]
[/quote]
Yeah it may have some big words, but I am sure someone will explain them for you,,,,,,,,,,,,

stolzy
stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
8 Aug 2009 - 1:35 PM

Quote: It's nice to know that the retirement age is expected to be raised to at least 68 and probably 70 in the near future. There aren't enough funds in the pot.

Very inconsiderate of people to live so much longer these days and for your generation (and mine) for not having enough children to sustain the economy in our dotage. Simple arithmetic

Quote: Could this be due to the fact that British Forces are expected to remain in Afghanistan for the next 40 years and the billions that are being poured into Iraq?

No. Not that I'm in favour of meddling in other countries business.

Quote: Or is it that Mandelson needs to fund his stay in Corfu swanning around with his rich crowd on the yacht, probably paid for by the taxpayer? (I know it's his mates yacht, but did Mandy buy it with his expenses?)

Absolutly, all the pension hoie has gone into mandy's back pocket. Where do people come up with this nonsense?
Because:
A) You're annoyed that the pension system is FUBAR
and
B) You don't like Mandeleson
does not mean that B is the cause of A

MikeA
MikeA  91168 forum posts England
8 Aug 2009 - 1:53 PM

Quote: I retired in 2004 at the early age of 60 - one of those cushy civil service jobs with an occupational pension

I thought getting a job with the civil service was retiring Wink

53 myself, my target was always 55 but as luck would have it I made it earlier and never looked back...

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102286 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
8 Aug 2009 - 2:09 PM

Quote: Absolutly, all the pension hoie has gone into mandy's back pocket. Where do people come up with this nonsense?
Because:
A) You're annoyed that the pension system is FUBAR
and
B) You don't like Mandeleson
does not mean that B is the cause of A

It looks like we have to disagree, John (like old times!)
I think the Daily Mail does comes up with plenty of rubbish, so does even the Independent and Guardian, but I think Bridgelayer has a point - Mandelson's philosophy is a symbol of the very essence of what is wrong with the American colony of Great Britain: corrupt, greedy, self-seeking, control by a super-rich, super-powerful hegemony.
If the New World Order to which Mandelson and other Tories (yes, I use the word advisedly) had not wilfully brought the world economy to its kness, we might not be struggling so much with the pension crisis.
I mean who is suffering with pension deficits? Not Mandelson, Brown, Cameron or Fred Goodwin etc.
I'm sorry if this sounds like an anti-capitalist tirade but there is still so much money still floating around - but nearly all "in the pockets" of the elite.

Garth

gcarth
8 Aug 2009 - 2:12 PM

Quote: Quote:I retired in 2004 at the early age of 60 - one of those cushy civil service jobs with an occupational pensionI thought getting a job with the civil service was retiring Wink

Ooooh! Wink

Quote: 53 myself, my target was always 55 but as luck would have it I made it earlier and never looked back...

Lucky you! I hope you enjoy your retirement as much as I enjoy mine!

Garth

Last Modified By gcarth at 8 Aug 2009 - 2:15 PM
stolzy
8 Aug 2009 - 2:17 PM

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next decade or so regarding public service pensions. Its clear the present situation, even for current pensioners is not sustainable.
These pensions (many of which are final salary) are paid from current receipts. What happens when health services, police services, local authority services are compromised because more money is going into pensions than into the servies themselves
Obviously there are public employee coming up to retirement in the next decade or so and expecting generous pensions who are not going to get them.

gcarth
8 Aug 2009 - 2:31 PM

Quote: It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next decade or so regarding public service pensions. Its clear the present situation, even for current pensioners is not sustainable.
These pensions (many of which are final salary) are paid from current receipts. What happens when health services, police services, local authority services are compromised because more money is going into pensions than into the servies themselves
Obviously there are public employee coming up to retirement in the next decade or so and expecting generous pensions who are not going to get them.

Yes, I think we agree there is a global population problem and I think it is only a question of time (hopefully not in my lifetime!) before we cull a few million people from the planet, though no doubt the New World Order will see to that! Wink Sad

Garth

stolzy
8 Aug 2009 - 2:48 PM

Quote: think it is only a question of time (hopefully not in my lifetime!) before we cull a few million people from the planet

I was thinking of a rather less radical solution - along the lines of limiting final salary pensions for current and future public pensioners

Quote: I mean who is suffering with pension deficits? Not Mandelson, Brown, Cameron or Fred Goodwin etc.

True, and its not the retired police, firemen, council workers and others with generous final salary schemes either.
Its the people who create the wealth that pays for those pensions who don't have access to the public purse who get the sh1tty end of the stick

Last Modified By stolzy at 8 Aug 2009 - 2:51 PM
steve_kershaw

eventually it can only go one way

if you have any wealth you will get nowt till its all gone, even the equity in your home will be used,

as Stolzy says its simple maths, 20% cant support 80%

gcarth
8 Aug 2009 - 3:33 PM

Quote: True, and its not the retired police, firemen, council workers and others with generous final salary schemes either.

We can't all be wealth creators - there' been too much wealth creating but most of it is upwardly mobile!
The controlling elite, i.e. those financiers and others who really control the politicians, should allow everyone a decent wage and the super-rich should pay their fair share of tax.
The same controlling elite should never have encouraged the crazy house price fiasco and trillions of pounds/dollars of debt.
In other words, ordinary people can't save much money for retirement or anything else because of the insanity of the free market system. Maybe it's all part of the NWO plan...Wink

PS.
Just let me know when the revolution is about to start and I'll join anyone who's up for it... Wink

Garth

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.