Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Get on1's Perfect Effects 9.5 for FREE! (£48 value)

reversing ring

bigpete 1 59 United Kingdom
13 Mar 2014 6:00PM
I would like to try using a reversing ring and would like to know whether I can do this with a sigma 50mm EX DG F 2.8 macro lens,, are their benefits to using a macro lens with a reducing ring or would I be better off using an 18-55 mm kit lens your advice and assistance would be much appreciated

Pete

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

13 Mar 2014 6:33PM
Reversing rings really work best with older all manual lenses as the newer lenses have motors to move the iris and focus.

Have fun
AndS Plus
2 1.6k England
13 Mar 2014 9:45PM
If I use the reversing ring on newer lenses I wrap a loop of cotton on the lever that opens the blades and carefully open fully, secure the cotton with a bit of tape to hold open. camera and subject need to be totally still as slightest vibration will result in blurred image (use a remote release and mirror up plus good tripod).
13 Mar 2014 10:42PM
You may find what you see a bit too dark to get an accurate focus point because you'll have to manually stop down all the way. At least trial and error is cheap with digital unless you value your time. Take measurements and make notes (just like the old days of film, even without reversing rings). Smile

AndS makes a good point also about mirror up and remote.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.