Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Right Brain -v- Left Brain

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

WeeGeordieLass
WeeGeordieLass e2 Member 2338 forum postsWeeGeordieLass vcard England
23 Feb 2012 - 9:39 AM

I've been wondering something lately.

My photography isn't very good, and when I look at some pf's on here it blows my mind how creative and talented a lot of photographers are.

I'm a very logical Left Brain person as opposed to a creative Right Brain Person.

Do you think Right Brainers make better photographers?

Maybe this is why my shots are c**p!

I can design a crackin' Excel Spreadsheet though!!!!

Cheers

Elaine

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Feb 2012 - 9:39 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NEWDIGIT
NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Feb 2012 - 10:04 AM

Lucky B*****d at least you have a brain

WeeGeordieLass
23 Feb 2012 - 10:06 AM

Yes....it's "pea sized"

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53548 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2012 - 10:14 AM

Hi Elaine,

Totally agree - my excel spreadsheets are great but my appreciation of the artistic is sadly lacking sometimes.

To counter that I'm now reading art books and thinking about composition much much more, i can build and deconstruct a shot but i'm not yet easily able to image and compose.

Keep up your right brain exercises Smile

Stuart

Last Modified By JackAllTog at 23 Feb 2012 - 10:14 AM
pabloisme
pabloisme  4565 forum posts England
23 Feb 2012 - 10:16 AM

Elaine: its just you need to make more mistakes....we all do well! possibly just take more pix and the formula is

more pix = more mistakes / good pix (*edit / crop) *dont listen to others / look at the greats = happiness

not sure IF it will fit on excel though!

;-0 sarcasm from a geordie boy!

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2012 - 10:42 AM

Looking at pictures from 'the greats' is good as is making a lot of mistakes. What you need to do is spend a bit of time analysing great images to see what makes them tick as well as taking a cold, hard look at your own stuff (including your best) and asking yourself how you can make it better.

BTW, this process never stops.... Wink

mikehit
mikehit  46194 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2012 - 11:09 AM

Being too analytical can definitely hinder some forms of photography. For example I will often be on a walk with the dogs and see a pattern in the leaves which will make me stop; I then think 'is it worth taking' and by the time I have humm'ed and ha'ed the moment is gone or I end up not taking it - then I see someone else with a similar photo and think 'boy, that's good' Tongue.
I guess some photography are suited to very analytical personalities such as still life, macro etc and I find I am very interested in abstract subjects like patterns etc rather than 'telling a story' which (in my mind) requires more creativity and viewer engagement.

Speaking for myself, the over-analysis often comes with feeling in control and some caution as a result of 'not being sure'. When I am going through one of my more intense photo periods I become more comfortable and the over-analysis gradually drops off and spontenaiety starts to creep in.

paulcr
paulcr  91536 forum posts Ireland9 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2012 - 11:24 AM

Photograph anything that makes you stop and look...If it catches your attention and causes you to pause for a while its worth shooting.
Paul

MeanGreeny
23 Feb 2012 - 11:25 AM

If you think you can be over analytical, take a look at Gregory Crewdson's work.

I'd guess that the reason someone doesn't take a picture isn't over analysis - but lack of vision.

There's always a picture in there somewhere we just can't fully see it and we move on after stopping, pausing, reflecting and looking - but not being convinced.

Let's not flatter ourselves that we're too cerebral by calling it over-analysis. I think it's a different, more fundamental shortcoming.

Jestertheclown
23 Feb 2012 - 11:43 AM

I'm about average with "XL", I guess but I'm much more of a whizz using "Publisher."
To the point where I've found it lacking and much prefer Serif's "PagePlus" version which is considerably more complicated.
Regarding photography, I'm something of an opportunist.
I "see" photographs everywhere and take shots of anything that catches my eye. I've been doing it for decades yet I've never found a specific type or genre that has particular appeal.
Also, I have a flagrant disregard for the supposed "rules of composition" and although I 'm sure I apply some of them because I think a shot looks better a certain way, I never deliberately use any of them.
I don't think I ever really analyse any of my work. Either I like it or I don't. I don't concern myself much with why I do or don't like it.

What does all of that tell you about my brain . . .?

pabloisme
23 Feb 2012 - 12:22 PM

Quote: Looking at pictures from 'the greats' is good as is making a lot of mistakes.

wrongly worded?

sadly you have to admit when you are wrong YOU are wrong?

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2012 - 1:03 PM

OK, I should have qualified that by writing '...as is making a lot of mistakes and analysing where you went wrong...'

I thought the qualification was implicit. That's where I was wrong.

Last Modified By joolsb at 23 Feb 2012 - 1:04 PM
WeeGeordieLass
23 Feb 2012 - 6:05 PM

Quote: more pix = more mistakes / good pix (*edit / crop) *dont listen to others / look at the greats = happiness

not sure IF it will fit on excel though!

Thanks for your formula for success Pablo - I think I'll avoid applying it in my job though!!

dsc-0065.jpg

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
24 Feb 2012 - 1:25 AM

That's cool...maybe you could work on it more and get into macro photography Wink Tongue Smile

pabloisme
24 Feb 2012 - 8:51 AM

NO silly it's justa formula

you just did what most did and cut/paste silly billy!

you need to input the names of greats, style of photographer, editing suite etc.

BUT REMEMBER the camera HAS NOTHING TO DO with pictures!

(wonder who is the first to shoot at me? mmm?)

wot are you like?

seriously what style / genre do you want to emulate first?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.