Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Right Managed or Royalty Free

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    RichMac
    RichMac  2 United Kingdom
    16 Oct 2013 - 4:44 PM

I have been approached by a local authorities tourism department, here in the UK, asking if I could supply a price for some of my landscape images for use in advertising, brochures etc.

Not having sold any of my images before as in this manner, I am unsure of what to charge. Also if I should offer to sell Royalty Free or Royalty Managed.

I have looked on two of the large Stock Image libraries and consider my work to be as good as, if not better, than similar images there. But feel that there prices are expensive.

I would like to charge a fair price, but at the same time I do not want just to give my work away.

Any advise would be helpful.

Regards,
    Richard

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Oct 2013 - 4:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
    keithh  1022726 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Oct 2013 - 4:55 PM

First thing to remember is that they won't be thinking big money. They've probably got around 25-50 an image for a 12 month licence in mind. Whoever is designing the brochure may have been given a photo budget of 200 for the whole project.

I once quoted 100 for a 12 month licence on one image for a national bus company for a counter stand stand brochure and was told they were thinking of about 30. They used another photo.

RichMac
    17 Oct 2013 - 11:12 AM

Yes, Keith I agree with your thoughts and prices. I work in deisgn myself and know that clients generally want to keep costs to a mimium. I think 25-50 is realisitc, smiliar prices as I'd sell a large print for.
    I did a BTEC course a couple of years ago and I remember the lecturer selling one of his images for a book cover for 50.

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade  1014708 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Oct 2013 - 11:17 AM

I sometimes go onto Alamy and use their price calculator - inputting the usage details they've asked for, then screen shot it as part of the quote... whether you match that price or offer a discount is up to you, but it sometimes shows you're not just pulling numbers out of the sky... especially with people who are not used to dealing with photographers, who assume photos are "very cheap" Wink

GlennH
    GlennH  91880 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Oct 2013 - 11:51 AM

If the Alamy price calculator reflected their actual licensing fees, I could probably give up the day job. Beer currency is a more agreeable way of evaluating some sales.

ade_mcfade
    17 Oct 2013 - 12:56 PM

lol - that's where you can use it to your advantage.... "if you bought it from a library it'd be XXX - I'll let you have it at YYY" - let them think they're getting a HUGE discount and make them happy!

GlennH
    GlennH  91880 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Oct 2013 - 1:35 PM

I appreciate that Ade - neat trick. Smile

If I could similarly persuade Alamy with their own pricing calculator it'd be a good result. Even by their own admission they've cut some overly aggressive pricing deals.

I've sold quite a few pictures to tourism markets, but probably can't add anything more pertinent than Keith's comments. Usually, brochure use fetches about 50-100 (obviously depends somewhat on who's buying). Multiple print runs for posters are more lucrative, but also rarer in my case.

ade_mcfade
    17 Oct 2013 - 2:25 PM

it's far from foolproof mind.... Wink

RichMac
    18 Oct 2013 - 4:43 PM

Thanks for the useful comments. My own thoughts are being echoed in the comments received. So hopefully I can draw up a pricing structure that is 'realisitc'.

riddell
    riddell  958 forum posts United Kingdom
    24 Oct 2013 - 12:09 PM

Definetly not 'royalty free'

Dependant upon what they want and how much they want to pay you can give them an idefiently licence if you want, but it should still be tighly licenced.

Paul.
    www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.