Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Rights of the photographer

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    cmawson
    cmawson  11271 forum posts United Kingdom
    9 May 2007 - 9:13 PM

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I seem to be unable to find a thread that deals with all the below issues.

I want to undertake a personal project including photographing people in general day to day situations. If I decided to publish these photos in book form or whatever; what is the situation re rights, model releases, copyrighting, personal financial gain & profit?

Many thanks in advance.

Chris.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    9 May 2007 - 9:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

samfurlong
    9 May 2007 - 10:16 PM

There are grey areas but generally you are fine. As a press tog photograph people day in day out, sometimes with, sometimes without their permission. As long as you're in a public place you are fine.
    Many people will say you need model releases but it depends what you are going to do withthe images. if you are shooting (say) a major ad campaign thats going to make someone a lot of money and the images are going to be 30ft high on billboards then model releases might be a good idea. However if your intentions are more modest - say an exhibition (even a big one at a bIg venue), a book, website, newspaper supplement, magazine etc.. then you'll be fine.
    Be careful of papping people in situations which could cast them in less than a favorable light as they could get grumpy (e.g. a person appearing to be visiting a brothel) when in fact they were just walking past). That said, if the said person really was visiting the brotel then they are fair game to be photographed and the images published / exhibited etc..

In all cases copyright of pics belongs to you and you alone unless you sign a contract givingit to someone else, no exceptions, it's yours period! And you are entitled to make money off them any way you wish, but as i said, be careful because if (say)brothel man comes after you because you made money by implying he visited a brotel when i fact he didn't then you'll be in trouble.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Lofty100
    Lofty100  770 forum posts United Kingdom
    10 May 2007 - 12:51 AM

One thing to be careful of is where you are taking the photos, some shopping centres get very narky about photographers.

Birmingham's Bull Ring Centre is one, they are stopping people taking photos on the excuse that they could be scouts for terrorists or some rubbish. Why would a terrorist need to take photos of a place like that when photos are freely available on the internet?

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    10 May 2007 - 1:43 AM

This article may help.

If a shopping centre is privately owned (and most are) they can make up whatever rules they want about photography - just as you could in your own home. Including banning it completely.

Last Modified By Dave at 10 May 2007 - 1:44 AM
    Lofty100
    Lofty100  770 forum posts United Kingdom
    10 May 2007 - 8:44 AM

I agree, but the reason they gave was just stupid, apparently they also try to stop people taking photos of the church nearby.

Henchard
    Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    10 May 2007 - 8:47 AM

try this

cmawson
    cmawson  11271 forum posts United Kingdom
    10 May 2007 - 9:17 AM

Thanks everyone, bit of a minefield so will have to check carefully on this.

I wonder how the likes of Henri Cartier-Bresson would get on these days?

cathal
    cathal  9492 forum posts Ireland4 Constructive Critique Points
    10 May 2007 - 10:42 AM

Quote: I wonder how the likes of Henri Cartier-Bresson would get on these days?

Good old Henri... iconic photographer and documentor of a significant part of the 20th century. Could he be considered the father of reportage?

Well, in later life he really kicked off when people tried to take his picture in public!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.