Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

ring flash

bfgstew 8 668 105 England
11 Jul 2011 9:49PM
Does any one have any experience of this Ring lash ? I want to do the usual macro work, flowers, bugs, fungi etc.
I would like to get a ring flash for my Sigma 150/Nikon D200 but haven't a great deal of cash so am wondering if this would fit, work, and last. I appreciate it is cheap, and have read the reviews but just want to have some more input before i buy.

Thanks in advance.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
11 Jul 2011 10:15PM
That looks very similar to the Sigma EM-140DG unit I won a few years ago in a competition Stuart. Like a lot of modern 'Ring-flash' units, it's (probably) a two-lamp unit in a circular, reflective unit which, when all's said and done, does a good job.

Price-wise (Compared to the Sigma unit) it would appear to be worth considering - especially when it comes body-compatible.

I HTH's...
Andy_Cundell 3 1.1k 5 England
11 Jul 2011 11:25PM
I'm interested in this! I'm suposed to be saving for some big lighting, but I do like my macro! I found it slightly cheaper here , not too sure about the p&p though

Andy

edited to say p&p is 25, so very similar price
indemnity 6 331
12 Jul 2011 9:54AM
I have had one of these. Quite good value. Operates solely in auto mode. Surprisingly may also be used as fill for head shots upto 1.5m away (100mm lens on crop camera ideal), with exposure compensation (watch for red eye though).
12 Jul 2011 10:15AM
Cheers guys for the input.
It will only be used for pure macro work, so not unduly worried about red eye.
The only thing that bothers me is my Sigma 150 is 72mm thread and the rings supplied only go up to 67mm! Is there another adaptor ring available and if so will this intrude into the image?
indemnity 6 331
12 Jul 2011 10:31AM
You will need to try before you buy, to see if the ringflash frame encroaches. If it doesn't, then a step ring will solve the mounting issue. These can be bought for 1-2 from ebay HK. Mount the step ring onto the 67mm ring first then to camera lens, careful not to cross thread. Mounting these ringflashes can sometimes be a bit fiddly.
12 Jul 2011 10:44AM
Thanks buddy, will look into it on E bay or such like.
Wonder if Pete has any experience with this?
Wonder if they could do some product review workshops? I know they do a great job with the write ups and videos but may be an idea to get some sort of workshop were you can actually get your hands on stuff????
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
12 Jul 2011 11:13AM
Don't know about a "ring lash", sounds a bit painful.
HOWEVER (Wink) I bought a Marumi ring Flash to go with my Canon 400d /100mm macro earlier this year & it's a great investment. I'm getting better results with it than I used to get with my old Olympus OM2/ Zuiko50mm macro & Olympus ring flash.
12 Jul 2011 5:09PM
LOL.

Ring lash is after a hot curry.............Tongue
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
12 Jul 2011 5:23PM
....thought that read "csurry" then...... Wink
12 Jul 2011 6:14PM
Steady Ade, steady...........Tongue
12 Jul 2011 9:50PM
Right, come on you lot, any more advice on this subject, good or bad please.
pink 11 1.9k 5 United Kingdom
12 Jul 2011 10:02PM
just sold a Canon ring flash, couldnt get on with it, I seem to have better results in natural light with reflectors, the main problem (for me) was the direction of the flash is in essence very 'frontal' thus giving little modelling to the subject. Its ok for recording subjects but not a very creative type of lighting. I think the units with adjustable tubes work better but at 3-400 pounds seem expensive.
Ian
13 Jul 2011 9:55AM
Well I have read some more hands on reviews and the Marumi ring flash looks a bargain buy. The single tube isn't a problem, it can be over come using a cover of some description to cover one half up, if needed. Adaptor rings are cheap enough so can get it to fit on my 150 lens. Just need to get it now, so with my B'day coming up next week, looks like I know what I am getting..........Wink
Cheers for the input and help guys, appreciate it.
dlegros 12 217 England
13 Jul 2011 9:29PM
Just for a bit of balance - I had one of these Marumi units; for one day!

The build quality of the unit of atrocious - very cheap and plasticky with sharp edges in the battery compartment that sliced the labels of my NIMH cells!

Promptly returned to Warehouse Express & paid out the extra for the Nikon close-up speedlight system - not a ring flash but great for close up work.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.