Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

RIP: Sir Patrick

sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
9 Dec 2012 3:08PM
Sad to learn that Sir Patrick Moore has sadly died earlier today. A truly inspirational broadcaster. He always struck me as a gentleman, and perhaps the last of his breed. Rest in Peace Sir Patrick. Rest in Peace.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/british-astronomer-sir-patrick-moore-dies-125837317.html

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ErictheViking e2
2 124 102 Scotland
9 Dec 2012 3:31PM
A sad day at the passing on an iconic figure in astronomy who brought to the masses the mysteries of the universe. Its good to see his legacy lives on in the likes of Brian Cox and Brian May.

Eric Sad
chris.maddock 13 3.4k United Kingdom
9 Dec 2012 4:01PM
I think Brian May summed it up superbly - "Patrick is irreplaceable. There will never be another Patrick Moore. But we were lucky enough to get one."
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
9 Dec 2012 4:24PM
One of his admirable qualities is that he always insisted he was nothing more than an amateur astronomer.
thewilliam 6 4.7k
9 Dec 2012 4:29PM
One of the last great gentleman amateurs: a sad loss indeed.
widtink 2 406 2 Scotland
9 Dec 2012 4:52PM
Yup he certainly was a one off he had a good innings though RIP
Sooty_1 4 1.2k 202 United Kingdom
9 Dec 2012 5:18PM
He will be sorely missed, not just by the astronomical fraternity, but by all those to whom he made the universe accessible.
The Sky at Night has always been required viewing, and while it was usually shunted to obscure times of the programming schedule, I've only missed a handful in recent years.

He presented me one of his books for winning a school prize once, years ago, and he was fascinating to chat to. Encouraging and unendingly enthusiastic, he was never mean with time, help and advice.

He can be with Lorna once more. Rest in peace, Sir Patrick.

Nick
SlowSong e2
6 4.6k 29 England
9 Dec 2012 6:01PM
I've always loved The Sky at Night but you could tell that he was struggling towards the end. But like a trouper he kept on going and all of us who love astronomy are thankful that he came our way.
chris.maddock 13 3.4k United Kingdom
9 Dec 2012 6:13PM

Quote:like a trouper he kept on going

To have been the presenter of the world's longest running TV programme with the same presenter throughout its run is one heck of an achievement, all the more so for the fact that he only ever had to miss one episode through illness.
KathyW 11 1.8k 12 Norfolk Island
9 Dec 2012 6:23PM
One of the best... RIP Sir Patrick.
LVanDhal 2 126 1 United Kingdom
9 Dec 2012 7:49PM
He had quality's that are becoming so rare today, he not only loved his subject but was so wiling to share and combined with high personal integrity
he made astronomy open to anyone who might be interested, I loved "The sky at night" what a true gentleman.

" Though my soul may set in darkness,

it will rise in perfect light.

I have loved the stars too fondly

to be fearful of the night. "

Sarah Williams- The Old Astronomer to His Pupil.
AlexandraSD 3 435 United Kingdom
9 Dec 2012 11:06PM
Oh that is really sad news, have not heard the news today and this is the first i have heard of it Sad

He was always amazing on TSAN, so jolly and keen, and with a very dry sense of humour, and always a twinkle in his eye. Have to admit though, i agree with Chris about him struggling, there have been many occasions recently where complete sentences were totally incomprehensible, he had a distinctive way of speaking anyway but recently it was an effort for him i think, but yes, what a trooper, what a star!

RIP Sir Patrick of Moore, the universe wont be the same again.
redhed17 9 666 England
10 Dec 2012 5:42PM
Very sad news.

I had just watched the latest episode of the Sky at Night yesterday, and thought he was looking better than he had done recently. When I went to my Mum's later she mentioned that he had died.

I must admit he quite scared me when I was younger, but came to appreciate him as I've got older. I think that was because of the rather aggressive impersonations rather than the man himself. I think seeing him on Gamesmaster helped me see him in a different light.

Famously one of the few people to have met both Orville Wright and Neil Armstrong.

An inspiration for so many Astronomers, both professional and those just interested.

RIP

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.