Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

RIP: Sir Patrick

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82324 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Dec 2012 - 3:08 PM

Sad to learn that Sir Patrick Moore has sadly died earlier today. A truly inspirational broadcaster. He always struck me as a gentleman, and perhaps the last of his breed. Rest in Peace Sir Patrick. Rest in Peace.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/british-astronomer-sir-patrick-moore-dies-125837317.htm...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    9 Dec 2012 - 3:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ErictheViking
    ErictheViking e2 Member 1124 forum postsErictheViking vcard Scotland102 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Dec 2012 - 3:31 PM

A sad day at the passing on an iconic figure in astronomy who brought to the masses the mysteries of the universe. Its good to see his legacy lives on in the likes of Brian Cox and Brian May.

Eric Sad

chris.maddock
    9 Dec 2012 - 4:01 PM

I think Brian May summed it up superbly - "Patrick is irreplaceable. There will never be another Patrick Moore. But we were lucky enough to get one."

KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 102980 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Dec 2012 - 4:24 PM

One of his admirable qualities is that he always insisted he was nothing more than an amateur astronomer.

thewilliam
    9 Dec 2012 - 4:29 PM

One of the last great gentleman amateurs: a sad loss indeed.

widtink
    widtink  2406 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Dec 2012 - 4:52 PM

Yup he certainly was a one off he had a good innings though RIP

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41207 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Dec 2012 - 5:18 PM

He will be sorely missed, not just by the astronomical fraternity, but by all those to whom he made the universe accessible.
    The Sky at Night has always been required viewing, and while it was usually shunted to obscure times of the programming schedule, I've only missed a handful in recent years.

He presented me one of his books for winning a school prize once, years ago, and he was fascinating to chat to. Encouraging and unendingly enthusiastic, he was never mean with time, help and advice.

He can be with Lorna once more. Rest in peace, Sir Patrick.

Nick

SlowSong
    SlowSong e2 Member 64431 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Dec 2012 - 6:01 PM

I've always loved The Sky at Night but you could tell that he was struggling towards the end. But like a trouper he kept on going and all of us who love astronomy are thankful that he came our way.

chris.maddock
    9 Dec 2012 - 6:13 PM

Quote: like a trouper he kept on going

To have been the presenter of the world's longest running TV programme with the same presenter throughout its run is one heck of an achievement, all the more so for the fact that he only ever had to miss one episode through illness.

KathyW
    KathyW  111793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Dec 2012 - 6:23 PM

One of the best... RIP Sir Patrick.

LVanDhal
    LVanDhal  1126 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Dec 2012 - 7:49 PM

He had quality's that are becoming so rare today, he not only loved his subject but was so wiling to share and combined with high personal integrity
    he made astronomy open to anyone who might be interested, I loved "The sky at night" what a true gentleman.

" Though my soul may set in darkness,

it will rise in perfect light.

I have loved the stars too fondly

to be fearful of the night. "

Sarah Williams- The Old Astronomer to His Pupil.

AlexandraSD
    9 Dec 2012 - 11:06 PM

Oh that is really sad news, have not heard the news today and this is the first i have heard of it Sad

He was always amazing on TSAN, so jolly and keen, and with a very dry sense of humour, and always a twinkle in his eye. Have to admit though, i agree with Chris about him struggling, there have been many occasions recently where complete sentences were totally incomprehensible, he had a distinctive way of speaking anyway but recently it was an effort for him i think, but yes, what a trooper, what a star!

RIP Sir Patrick of Moore, the universe wont be the same again.

redhed17
    redhed17  8658 forum posts England
    10 Dec 2012 - 5:42 PM

Very sad news.

I had just watched the latest episode of the Sky at Night yesterday, and thought he was looking better than he had done recently. When I went to my Mum's later she mentioned that he had died.

I must admit he quite scared me when I was younger, but came to appreciate him as I've got older. I think that was because of the rather aggressive impersonations rather than the man himself. I think seeing him on Gamesmaster helped me see him in a different light.

Famously one of the few people to have met both Orville Wright and Neil Armstrong.

An inspiration for so many Astronomers, both professional and those just interested.

RIP

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.