Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

RIP for TV chef Keith Floyd,

kombizz 9 591 1 United States
15 Sep 2009 12:13PM
Farewell to the star of TV chef Keith Floyd, - aged just 65
here

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SuziBlue 12 16.2k 10 Scotland
15 Sep 2009 12:38PM
Oh that's a loss. I always did love his larger than life personality.

Thanks for the fun, Keith.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
15 Sep 2009 12:41PM
Just seen this mentioned on the Patrick Swayze thread - awful news. He was one of my favourites from the cooking world. As you say Suzi - a great character...
kombizz 9 591 1 United States
15 Sep 2009 12:44PM
He was one of my favourites for food and the cooking world. Also I loved his cheeful character.
Sad
15 Sep 2009 12:47PM
And remarkably he did'nt die of liver failure. Let's hope there's a plentiful supply of red wine in Heaven. A colourful character who put the likes of Delia to shame and mediocrity.
arhb e2
7 2.4k 68 United Kingdom
15 Sep 2009 1:36PM
I saw a wonderful documentary last night 'Keith meets Keith', where Keith Allen went to stay and chat with Keith Floyd at his home in France. He was as excellent in the docu' as he ever was, and it was a shame to hear about his death today on the news.
Possibly my favourite 'tv chef', as it tried to keep it about the cooking and not all about him, although as he stated in the docu' last night, he could not help but perform, when the cameras were rolling.
RIP.
Henners88 5 204 United Kingdom
15 Sep 2009 2:52PM
i think everyone should play 'Peaches' by the Stranglers in memory of Keith... Sad Stuff

Henry Smile
RogBrown 7 3.0k 10 England
15 Sep 2009 3:21PM
What a tragedy. It was him who started my interest in cooking - I just loved the way he'd have a "quick slurp" while he was working. That's what cooking's all about isn't it?
whipspeed e2
10 4.0k 22 United Kingdom
15 Sep 2009 3:38PM
Now that is sad news, I loved his cookery programmes. I will have to have a "quick slurp" with dinner tonight to toast his memory.
Big Bri 13 15.6k United Kingdom
15 Sep 2009 3:55PM
I remember him cooking Impala curry once in a giant wok somewhere in Africa. Looked delish.
15 Sep 2009 4:28PM

Quote:What a tragedy. It was him who started my interest in cooking - I just loved the way he'd have a "quick slurp" while he was working. That's what cooking's all about isn't it?

Years ago before ovens came into general use, cooking was done on a fire in the middle of the kitchen, BBQ style you might say, with roasts cooked on spits. Chefs drank lots of ale or wine to help cope with the heat. The work was gruelling with dreadful conditions and dreadful hours and chefs frequently collapsed into the fire. A common complication following getting badly burnt was pneumonia, from which the victim often died. The fire has been replaced these days by the oven, but old habits die hard and lots of Chefs keep up the tradition of being a hard-drinking breed. (I've been a Chef for over 40 years, partial to a red Rioja myself!)
Keith Floyd, Chef and upholder of tradition, I raise my glass to your memory!
RogBrown 7 3.0k 10 England
15 Sep 2009 5:07PM

Quote:old habits die hard and lots of Chefs keep up the tradition of being a hard-drinking breed.

I'll be damned. There was me thinking they were just a load of pi$$heads! Smile
jondf 8 2.5k
15 Sep 2009 5:34PM
I really liked that guy and was wondering only the other week where he'd got to. An infectious personality with an eccentric twist had me all ears when he was on the box. Don't think he did too badly though considering his lifestyle and all - rest in peace mate and I'll see you on the other side....of the dinner table Smile
sospan 7 12 Wales
15 Sep 2009 8:21PM
Keith Floyd, a larger than life personality with a great attitude. I loved your cooking style and how you showed us how people, places and cultures impacted on the food you prepared. You were the first TV chef and through your influenece and undoubted enthusiasm started the process of making the culinary world a smaller place. I raise a glass or two to you tonight Keith and thank you.

RiP
Andy
ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
15 Sep 2009 8:25PM
very sad

but what a life he packed into those 65 years.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.