Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

RIP Gerry Anderson

26 Dec 2012 5:26PM
So sad to hear of the death of Gerry Anderson .

I'm sure, like many of my generation, you were inspired to dream and imagine as a result of Gerry's work. The picture of me in my Captain Scarlet suit, aged 5, features in my family album and the characters he created and the machines he imagined were inspirational for a generation brought up with the space race.

To go as a result of Alzheimer's is a particularly distressing ending, given the marvellous mind of the man.

Best wishes to his family at this dreadful time.

Andy,
Captain Scarlet fan.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE
9 6.4k 18 England
26 Dec 2012 5:36PM
Yes, I have just spotted that sad news as well.

Thunderbirds, Stingray, Fireball XL5, Twizzle but not quite so much Joe 90 were all programmes I watched regularly.

In fact, even nowadays, if I happen to come across Thunderbirds or Stingray on the television I sit and watch Wink
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
26 Dec 2012 5:51PM

Quote:even nowadays, if I happen to come across Thunderbirds or Stingray on the television I sit and watch Wink

Same here.
Like yourself, I watched Fireball XL5, Stingray and Thunderbirds; I don't think I missed an episode.
By the time Joe 90 came along though, I was a bit older and getting into other things.
jondf e2
8 2.7k
26 Dec 2012 6:17PM
Hey! let's not be sad and miserable. Mr Anderson brought puppetry into the real world....well, almost. I'm sure he'd be upset to hear us dwelling on his demise like this. He had a good run (83 I think) and no-one's remembered another memorable series of his - Supercar!

Professor ("roof doors opening, Mike") Popkiss, Doctor Beaker, Frenzarin, Mitch and Mike et al .....memories
spaceman e2
10 5.2k 3 Wales
26 Dec 2012 6:27PM
My boyhood toy collection would have been far poorer without him.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
26 Dec 2012 6:35PM

Quote:To go as a result of Alzheimer's is a particularly distressing ending, given the marvellous mind of the man

Yes it is, for his family, friends, and superb carers.

A well loved man.
ErictheViking e2
2 124 102 Scotland
26 Dec 2012 7:27PM

Quote: no-one's remembered another memorable series of his - Supercar!

We must be some of the very few who remember this introduction to the magic of The Andersonís and the mysterious flying car. I was just 1yrs old at its introduction but I do remember the reruns at the sometime as Fireball XL5
Eric Grin

Live the memory with the Supercar theme tune
and Fireball XL5 Theme Tune
RichardN00 e2
8 430 1 United Kingdom
26 Dec 2012 8:52PM

Quote: no-one's remembered another memorable series of his - Supercar!

I had a Supercar Corgi model with retracting wings.

I loved Thunderbirds, another part of my childhood gone SadSad
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
26 Dec 2012 8:55PM
I used to watch Supercar on my Granddad's TV.
It was one of only two on the street and the size of a small wardrobe with a tiny screen.
That must have been about 1959.
cats_123 e2
10 4.3k 25 Northern Ireland
26 Dec 2012 9:04PM
just watched `Prometheus' on DVD...the spacecraft were very Thunderbird like in concept (but the film was nowhere near as good as the original Alien Trilogy!) SmileSmile
ErictheViking e2
2 124 102 Scotland
27 Dec 2012 12:07AM

Quote:just watched `Prometheus' on DVD...the spacecraft were very Thunderbird like in concept (but the film was nowhere near as good as the original Alien Trilogy!)

Gerry Anderson???????????????????????????????????????????
cats_123 e2
10 4.3k 25 Northern Ireland
27 Dec 2012 7:51AM

Quote:just watched `Prometheus' on DVD...the spacecraft were very Thunderbird like in concept (but the film was nowhere near as good as the original Alien Trilogy!)

Gerry Anderson???????????????????????????????????????????

Thunderbirds???????????????
MG1964 e2
4 12 England
27 Dec 2012 1:33PM
Thanks Eric for the tunes, Fireball XL5 was my all time favourite Smile

What a wonderful legacy he has left - so many children who benefited from his fantastic productions. Nothing is better than a happy memory.
ErictheViking e2
2 124 102 Scotland
27 Dec 2012 1:47PM
My pleasure MG1964, brought back memories for me.

Eric
Mozzytheboy e2
4 702 3 United Kingdom
27 Dec 2012 3:04PM
I was an XL5 and Stingray fan, oh and Supercar tooTongue But then, I did fancy Marina something rotten. Oh, don't tell anyone will you?

Yes RIP JA. Shame it was not more pleasent towards latter years Sad

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.