Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

RIP Gerry Anderson

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

scottishphototours

So sad to hear of the death of Gerry Anderson.

I'm sure, like many of my generation, you were inspired to dream and imagine as a result of Gerry's work. The picture of me in my Captain Scarlet suit, aged 5, features in my family album and the characters he created and the machines he imagined were inspirational for a generation brought up with the space race.

To go as a result of Alzheimer's is a particularly distressing ending, given the marvellous mind of the man.

Best wishes to his family at this dreadful time.

Andy,
Captain Scarlet fan.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Dec 2012 - 5:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96342 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
26 Dec 2012 - 5:36 PM

Yes, I have just spotted that sad news as well.

Thunderbirds, Stingray, Fireball XL5, Twizzle but not quite so much Joe 90 were all programmes I watched regularly.

In fact, even nowadays, if I happen to come across Thunderbirds or Stingray on the television I sit and watch Wink

Jestertheclown
26 Dec 2012 - 5:51 PM

Quote: even nowadays, if I happen to come across Thunderbirds or Stingray on the television I sit and watch Wink

Same here.
Like yourself, I watched Fireball XL5, Stingray and Thunderbirds; I don't think I missed an episode.
By the time Joe 90 came along though, I was a bit older and getting into other things.

jondf
jondf  82475 forum posts
26 Dec 2012 - 6:17 PM

Hey! let's not be sad and miserable. Mr Anderson brought puppetry into the real world....well, almost. I'm sure he'd be upset to hear us dwelling on his demise like this. He had a good run (83 I think) and no-one's remembered another memorable series of his - Supercar!

Professor ("roof doors opening, Mike") Popkiss, Doctor Beaker, Frenzarin, Mitch and Mike et al .....memories

spaceman
spaceman  105168 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
26 Dec 2012 - 6:27 PM

My boyhood toy collection would have been far poorer without him.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315631 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Dec 2012 - 6:35 PM

Quote: To go as a result of Alzheimer's is a particularly distressing ending, given the marvellous mind of the man

Yes it is, for his family, friends, and superb carers.

A well loved man.

ErictheViking
ErictheViking e2 Member 1124 forum postsErictheViking vcard Scotland102 Constructive Critique Points
26 Dec 2012 - 7:27 PM

Quote: no-one's remembered another memorable series of his - Supercar!

We must be some of the very few who remember this introduction to the magic of The Andersonís and the mysterious flying car. I was just 1yrs old at its introduction but I do remember the reruns at the sometime as Fireball XL5
Eric Grin

Live the memory with the Supercar theme tune
and Fireball XL5 Theme Tune

RichardN00
26 Dec 2012 - 8:52 PM

Quote: no-one's remembered another memorable series of his - Supercar!

I had a Supercar Corgi model with retracting wings.

I loved Thunderbirds, another part of my childhood gone SadSad

Jestertheclown
26 Dec 2012 - 8:55 PM

I used to watch Supercar on my Granddad's TV.
It was one of only two on the street and the size of a small wardrobe with a tiny screen.
That must have been about 1959.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104030 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
26 Dec 2012 - 9:04 PM

just watched `Prometheus' on DVD...the spacecraft were very Thunderbird like in concept (but the film was nowhere near as good as the original Alien Trilogy!) SmileSmile

ErictheViking
ErictheViking e2 Member 1124 forum postsErictheViking vcard Scotland102 Constructive Critique Points
27 Dec 2012 - 12:07 AM

Quote: just watched `Prometheus' on DVD...the spacecraft were very Thunderbird like in concept (but the film was nowhere near as good as the original Alien Trilogy!)

Gerry Anderson???????????????????????????????????????????

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104030 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
27 Dec 2012 - 7:51 AM

Quote: just watched `Prometheus' on DVD...the spacecraft were very Thunderbird like in concept (but the film was nowhere near as good as the original Alien Trilogy!)

Gerry Anderson???????????????????????????????????????????

Thunderbirds???????????????

MG1964
MG1964  3 England
27 Dec 2012 - 1:33 PM

Thanks Eric for the tunes, Fireball XL5 was my all time favourite Smile

What a wonderful legacy he has left - so many children who benefited from his fantastic productions. Nothing is better than a happy memory.

ErictheViking
27 Dec 2012 - 1:47 PM

My pleasure MG1964, brought back memories for me.

Eric

Mozzytheboy
Mozzytheboy e2 Member 4550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
27 Dec 2012 - 3:04 PM

I was an XL5 and Stingray fan, oh and Supercar tooTongue But then, I did fancy Marina something rotten. Oh, don't tell anyone will you?

Yes RIP JA. Shame it was not more pleasent towards latter years Sad

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.