Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

RIP OFF BRITAIN. Another Tale

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Big Bri
Big Bri  1215507 forum posts England
15 Apr 2003 - 1:59 PM

Besides, JP, the price of goods and average income are not related. A Canon SLR should cost roughly the same wherever you buy it, bearing in mind transport costs. The English income may be higher than in NZ, but lets face it, we deserve it for putting up with such god awful weather for most of the year.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Apr 2003 - 1:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

J-P
J-P  11396 forum posts
15 Apr 2003 - 9:12 PM

True. But heh, I'm coming back !

Big Bri
Big Bri  1215507 forum posts England
16 Apr 2003 - 9:06 AM

Well it's sunny and warm at the moment.

When are you coming back (you owe me a beer) ??

J-P
J-P  11396 forum posts
17 Apr 2003 - 11:14 AM

Should be back May/June (to take advantage of those cheap cameras and hefty income !!) I'll let you know.

alan h.
alan h.  12275 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Apr 2003 - 5:03 PM

wages 10,000 a year in new zealand! where did i put my passport

ARI
ARI  11500 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Apr 2003 - 1:22 PM

Better pay can be had for similar jobs in the US and parts of Europe, eg Germany, France, etc. Yet cost of camera equipment is is lots better there than the UK.

last year, Canon matched and bettered an advertised 'grey' import price for a long IS lens through two 'pro' shops, to keep the sale in the UK, saving me a substancial sum. If I had waited and got it this year from the US, I would have saved an additional 800 AFTER TAX to import it.

The problem is that in the UK, is not just that the importers are greedy, as it is understandable that you charge what the market will bear and pay. The greater fault lies with the consumer, all they do is still buy, grumble about the high price and often the poor service but and say nothing. Then they go back for more of the same!!!!

I recently got some major repair work done on a EOS5 by Canon Malaysia in less than a week (one day for the estimate and three days to complete the repair from my OK). Cost aprox 55. Compare this with Canon UK. Another EOS5 was sent to repair in Sept. 2002 by Canon UK via Jessops. Camera was returned before Christmas. A reported fault with exposure was still there - found on hoilday in Jan/Feb. Camera returned in Feb. Got letter asking for the lens at the end of March, the lens was sent off and to date, I am still waiting. This we accecpt as normal in the UK, and get charged lots for our complcency. No wonder we are ripped off, very few vote with our feet.

The advent of the Internet gives access to more information on prices and quality of dervice in real time. It often by passes the media which may have conflicts of interest 'cos of advertising accounts, freebies, etc. We need to do more to get value for money. Nobody else will do it for us. This is why I am a huge supporter of 'grey' imports.

Thanks
Hari

frankwilliams
11 May 2003 - 10:03 PM

were do i get theses so called import lens and camera bodies from. i live in middlesex near london uk.

zzzms
zzzms  1140 forum posts
12 May 2003 - 5:04 PM

FrankWilliams: I haven't been for a number of years but, Tottenham Court Road, north of Oxford St, used to be good for all kinds of 'grey' imported electronics and cameras, however, they give no guarantee with such grey items, which, I think, is contrary to consumer law, but, they definitely don't give a damn about, and will tell you to ship it Japan [or where ever] yourself should it go wrong. I had experience of this over a posh walkman, which sits in a draw to this day...

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.