Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Ripple Effect....

9 May 2009 4:23PM
Does anyone know why I sometimes get a ripple effect in my pictures, especially in the sky....I use a polarizing filter...and the thread is broken somehow, so it is stuck on my lens until I buy a new lens....

Example: http://www.ephotozine.com/u81850/gallery/121083

I generally take in RAW then convert ot .jpg...if that makes a difference

I've seen some other pictures here that have a similar thing, I find it annoying and it seems that no amount of messing around with the pic in Corel helps to get rid of it...

Thanks,

Jonathan

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Krakman 8 3.6k Scotland
9 May 2009 4:33PM
Instead of converting to JPEG, trying converting to a 16bit TIFF file instead. Only convert to JPEG (if at all) after all adjustments have been made to the image as 16-bit TIFF. And make as many of the adjustments as possible to the RAW file before the TIFF conversion.

It looks as though it may be compression artefacts. You typically get it in flat areas of tone like blue sky, especially if you carry out any adjustments to a compressed format like a JPEG. You can often also see it sometimes in 8-bit TIFFs.

It would account for the ripple effect, but not necessarily the rainbow colours which may be something else. Hard to tell from the small JPEG.
9 May 2009 4:38PM
Thanks...Jonathan
Krakman 8 3.6k Scotland
9 May 2009 4:42PM
Though looking again at it, the rainbow effect in the sky might indeed be something connected with the polariser. You weren't shooting through a window by any chance? It looks a bit like some of the stress effect polarisers can show up in plastic.
9 May 2009 5:07PM
Thank you. Nope, not shooting through a window.... Jonathan
pennyspike 11 2.1k 29 United Kingdom
9 May 2009 5:22PM
Is it there at the download stage or does it appear when you start to manipulate the image?
9 May 2009 5:54PM
I wonder if the polariser has been damaged when you've tried to remove it.

There is a lot of advice on google for removing stuck filters eg:

link

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.