Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Roche Abbey for a model shoot ?

grahamab 9 183 England
8 Jul 2009 12:05PM
Has anyone shot there with a model recently ? I drove past it the other day and it looks great as a location shot with a model, (decent not topless etc)
You have to pay to get in, but wondered what they might say if you come in with gear and a model.

Cheers

Graham

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brownargus 6 85 England
8 Jul 2009 3:52PM

Quote:Has anyone shot there with a model recently ? I drove past it the other day and it looks great as a location shot with a model, (decent not topless etc)
You have to pay to get in, but wondered what they might say if you come in with gear and a model.

Cheers

Graham

It will depend on what English Heritage's rules are concerning photography within the grounds of the site. There is no mention of this on their website.

John
ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
8 Jul 2009 3:59PM
Never been to Roche abbey, but they quizzed me heavily at Rivaulx Abbey when turning up with a 300D and tripod years ago.

It's one for an advance phone call - save you blushes and on the day if you and your model get told to sod off

you can freely wander around the outside of Kirkstall Abbey in Leeds - been there many times myself.
NEWMANP e2
6 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
8 Jul 2009 4:04PM
not far from Roach abbey there is Hardwick, Bolsover castle and suttonscarsdale hall ruins all within a couple of miles all close to the m1 j29a or 29 and all of them better options imo. we just did a goth shoot at sutton scarsdale hall no probs
Phil
C_Daniels 9 399 10 England
9 Jul 2009 9:31AM
I've been in Roche Abbey with the camera and tripod plenty of times without any fuss although I think they ask the obligatory question about using the images for comercial gain etc. Unsure about whether or not they'd allow a model style photoshoot in the grounds though - if it's not nude and fits within Health Safety guidelines and their rules of access around the ruins then I can't see why not...? After all, people do visit the site and have their photo taken...

A word of warning here though about the car park at the bottom of the cobelled slope a few hundred yards from the ruins. The area has warning signs dotted about as it has been a target for vandals and thieves over the years who have preyed upon peoples vehicles after leaving them for a wander around the grounds. There is another car park close to Abbey house near the ruins for a smaller number of cars. I try to park there if going inside the grounds provided that the wooden double gates aren't locked at the entrance to the drive. There is also a hidden sliding gate at the top of the hill off the main road before the drive down the cobelled slope to the first car park. A sign there states that they close this at around 6pm which means that any late afternoon sunset shots in the summer might be difficult with the car parked up Smile
MattGrayson 7 622 3 England
9 Jul 2009 10:33AM
We were going to film a photo location piece there for epz.tv but they wanted to charge us 100 for the privilege. I know someone who has shot there with a model and because he wasn't shooting for commercial gain, he was ok to proceed. Smile
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
9 Jul 2009 12:34PM
Take a 5D Mk II but no tripod and you'd probably get away with it! Wink
grahamab 9 183 England
9 Jul 2009 1:22PM
Thanks for the info guys much appreciated !

Graham

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.