Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Exciting Updates to Free & Paid Memberships! Read More

Roche Abbey for a model shoot ?

grahamab 9 183 England
8 Jul 2009 12:05PM
Has anyone shot there with a model recently ? I drove past it the other day and it looks great as a location shot with a model, (decent not topless etc)
You have to pay to get in, but wondered what they might say if you come in with gear and a model.

Cheers

Graham

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Quote:Has anyone shot there with a model recently ? I drove past it the other day and it looks great as a location shot with a model, (decent not topless etc)
You have to pay to get in, but wondered what they might say if you come in with gear and a model.

Cheers

Graham

It will depend on what English Heritage's rules are concerning photography within the grounds of the site. There is no mention of this on their website.

John
ade_mcfade Plus
10 15.1k 216 England
8 Jul 2009 3:59PM
Never been to Roche abbey, but they quizzed me heavily at Rivaulx Abbey when turning up with a 300D and tripod years ago.

It's one for an advance phone call - save you blushes and on the day if you and your model get told to sod off

you can freely wander around the outside of Kirkstall Abbey in Leeds - been there many times myself.
NEWMANP Plus
6 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
8 Jul 2009 4:04PM
not far from Roach abbey there is Hardwick, Bolsover castle and suttonscarsdale hall ruins all within a couple of miles all close to the m1 j29a or 29 and all of them better options imo. we just did a goth shoot at sutton scarsdale hall no probs
Phil
C_Daniels 10 399 10 England
9 Jul 2009 9:31AM
I've been in Roche Abbey with the camera and tripod plenty of times without any fuss although I think they ask the obligatory question about using the images for comercial gain etc. Unsure about whether or not they'd allow a model style photoshoot in the grounds though - if it's not nude and fits within Health Safety guidelines and their rules of access around the ruins then I can't see why not...? After all, people do visit the site and have their photo taken...

A word of warning here though about the car park at the bottom of the cobelled slope a few hundred yards from the ruins. The area has warning signs dotted about as it has been a target for vandals and thieves over the years who have preyed upon peoples vehicles after leaving them for a wander around the grounds. There is another car park close to Abbey house near the ruins for a smaller number of cars. I try to park there if going inside the grounds provided that the wooden double gates aren't locked at the entrance to the drive. There is also a hidden sliding gate at the top of the hill off the main road before the drive down the cobelled slope to the first car park. A sign there states that they close this at around 6pm which means that any late afternoon sunset shots in the summer might be difficult with the car parked up Smile
9 Jul 2009 10:33AM
We were going to film a photo location piece there for epz.tv but they wanted to charge us 100 for the privilege. I know someone who has shot there with a model and because he wasn't shooting for commercial gain, he was ok to proceed. Smile
Carabosse Plus
11 39.7k 269 England
9 Jul 2009 12:34PM
Take a 5D Mk II but no tripod and you'd probably get away with it! Wink
grahamab 9 183 England
9 Jul 2009 1:22PM
Thanks for the info guys much appreciated !

Graham

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.