Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Roger Hicks

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
svengali_uk
8 Feb 2006 - 10:40 AM

In view of the downright offensive post about Roger, that Pete so rightly locked, I would go on record as saying that Roger is the most stimulating photo-journalist since Victor Blackman. His books are informative & useful. He is not afraid to admit when he is wrong (Zone System?) , and easily the most thought provoking writer around today.
Count me as a fan.

Jeremy

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Feb 2006 - 10:40 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

FrankThomas
FrankThomas e2 Member 112762 forum postsFrankThomas vcard United Kingdom
8 Feb 2006 - 10:50 AM

That's the part of AP I look forward to reading the most actually. He's pithy, can be sarcastic but is normally bang on the money

User_Removed
8 Feb 2006 - 11:50 AM

Don't know Roger Hicks but I met - and remember so well - Victor Blackman and, indeed have a personally signed copy of one of his books. Have a huge respect for Victor so maybe I should seek out Roger's work...

spaceman
spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
8 Feb 2006 - 12:31 PM

Roger Hicks....that's a name I've not heard in a while. I used to get a lot of his books from the library (he wrote loads of them) - his knowledge of photography was encyclopeadic. His photographs? Well, the impression I got was that his knowledge outstripped his talent but perhaps I didn't see his best.

spaceman
spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
8 Feb 2006 - 12:32 PM

Double post. It's probably not worth reading twice.
Or even once Smile

wolf666
wolf666  8497 forum posts England
8 Feb 2006 - 1:01 PM

Quote: In view of the downright offensive post about Roger

I assume you are talking about my post and if you ask me I wasn't offensive enough. I can't believe that is why the thread was locked and if it was I want a refund on my membership because I believe I am as entitled to my opinion of the blustery old fool as you are. I like reading his articles to but only so I can laugh at his pomposity. The whole magazine is a complete waste of paper, in my opinion, as it is boring, full of adverts and continually drones on and on about how great film is and how much better cameras were in the forties.

dougv
dougv Site Moderator 108376 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
8 Feb 2006 - 1:06 PM

Have you actually looked to see why your thread was locked?

Doug ;o)

wolf666
8 Feb 2006 - 1:12 PM

I assume it was because it was the same as the other thread, which I missed, at least I would hope it was. I don't mean to offend anyone, except Roger Hicks of course, I just believe in saying what I feel Nd will defend svengali's right to disagree with me as well.

randomrubble
8 Feb 2006 - 1:33 PM

Roger Hicks is indeed a bit of a pompous twit, but he's absolutely aware of that and that's why he's such a good read. It's why I spend 5 minutes in WH Smiths every Tuesday!

tim franklin
8 Feb 2006 - 1:53 PM

Quote: the impression I got was that his knowledge outstripped his talent but perhaps I didn't see his best.

I'm certain Roger would agree with you.

He is however, a true gentleman (unlike a certain person in this thread), and always ready to help others. A few years ago I had an interest in a certain camera - still have, but can't afford to even consider it right now - and spoke with Roger on the phone, he being one of the handful of owners in the UK at that time. Despite his not knowing me from Adam, he would (if I had been living closer to his then home in Kent) have loaned me his for a day (this item costs about as much as a Canon 1Ds II, for what its worth). I won't hear a word said against him.

If Mr Wolf doesn't like Roger's writing, that's his perogative, but it doesn't give some right to hurl invective. That says more about the insulter than about the target.

stevem
stevem  10238 forum posts United Kingdom
8 Feb 2006 - 1:58 PM

Oh! - he's that bearded bloke who lives in France & goes on about Leicas & landrovers....

I do find myself agreeing with him on more than one occasion - wolf999 If you had to write a column every WEEK - you might ramble a bit too. He obviously has vast knowledge & experience to call on.....he does his job -providing a bit of light-hearted observational reading to mull over & stimulate debate...

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225751 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
8 Feb 2006 - 2:18 PM

Great guy - no bull in his books.

jas

Just Jas
8 Feb 2006 - 2:27 PM

Keep the wolf from the door?

wolf666
8 Feb 2006 - 2:59 PM

Quote: If Mr Wolf doesn't like Roger's writing, that's his perogative, but it doesn't give some right to hurl invective.

He puts himself in the public eye, I didn't ask him to, so he opens himself up to critisism. I dare say he doesn't do it for free and good luck to him if someone is prepared to pay him for being a pompous ass then I only wish I could find such an easy way to make a living. I did say earlier that I liked his column too it certainly livens up a very, very dull publication.

Just Jas
8 Feb 2006 - 3:31 PM

Quote: I am an enthusiast photographer with delussions

?????

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.