Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Rolleiflex 120 film

2 Dec 2012 2:47PM
After many moons I have decided to have a return to roll film. My Rollei 3.5 hasnt seen a film for years so was surprised to find that when loading an Ilford HP5 in the normal way it would'nt work and after a lot of experimenting and net research it appears that modern film base and paper is thinner creating this problem. I put a piece of thin card between the 2nd roller and wound on and it worked perfectly. I need therefore to find a thicker base film, any suggestions ?

I could send off and get the tension adjusted but seems this will cost a lot and being a pensioner this is not the way forme.
look forward to any comments, thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Snapper e2
9 3.8k 3 United States Outlying Islands
2 Dec 2012 3:36PM
I'm probably missing something here as I'm not familiar with the Rolleiflex, but the spool the film comes on will get moved to the take-up position after you've shot the film, and as long as it rolls tightly onto that then I'm not clear what the problem is?
2 Dec 2012 3:52PM
Snapper: I believe the original poster has problems because the Rolleiflex winds the film under a roller which senses where the film actually starts on the backing paper. From this point it automatically sets the 12 frames on the lever winding system until you get to the last frame, after which the lever wind freely turns to wind off the backing paper.
The film used to be attached to the backing with what was basically masking tape which was thick enough to trigger the frame counter. With the new film he tried, the tape was thinner and the frame counter was not triggered.

Fleurie: Perhaps a letter to Ilford themselves might cast some light on this because there are plenty of Rolleiflexes still in use.
thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
2 Dec 2012 5:10PM
Every now and again, Ilford does a product mod without thinking it through properly.

A couple of years back, the changed to core of the Gallerie roll paper. Previously the cardboard core had been covered with a thin layer of sponge which prevented winding creases. With the plain card core, the end of the paper created a step which was transferred to other layers as a crease that was clearly visible in the prints. We had to waste about 5 meters at the end of each roll.

Complain to Ilford and they might well do something about it. They restored the soft core in Gallerie paper rolls.
pentaxpete e2
9 553 1 England
5 Dec 2012 11:33AM
I never have any problems with any of my Rolleis -- I use outdated Ilford films, DElta 400, Delta 100 FP4+ and XP2 Super -- no probs -- and my 2.8F is 1960 and still going !

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.