Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Rome

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Perry_95
Perry_95  359 forum posts Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
14 May 2011 - 11:26 PM

I will be going to Rome with my school in october, soon after my birthday. Am wondering what should be ontop of my wish list?

My current set up consists of:
Pentax K-x, 18-55mm kit lens, 50-200mm kit lens, Sigma 70-300mm, Tripod

I will probably not take the tripod and sigma lens, perhaps not even the 50-200mm lens, I will be there for 4 days, will be visisting; Trevi fountain, Spanish steps, Sistine chapel, Vatican, Gallera d'arte moderna, coliseum, pantheon and "sight seeing" on the last day.

I am thinking along the lines of a sturdy, compact monopod, or perhaps a lens filter. Any suggestions? i know i should buy an umbrella since there is most rain in october and should take care of my equipment Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 May 2011 - 11:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

edrhodes
edrhodes  9521 forum posts United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
15 May 2011 - 9:36 AM

I would probably take your first two lens, they would cover most of what you will shoot around Rome, I would also take a tripod, there are some amazing night images to be had here.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315547 forum posts England
15 May 2011 - 9:54 AM

I would try and squeeze the tripod in if possible, for night photos.

Perry_95
15 May 2011 - 11:56 AM

Im not sure if my school would allow for a tripod as mine is quite big, and heavy! I shall ask the trip leader if i am allowed to take it, Besides the tripod which i have, what should i be asking for, for my birthday?

redhed17
redhed17  8635 forum posts England
15 May 2011 - 2:23 PM

If it is photography related gear you want for your Birthday, then a wide angle lens would seem to make sense looking at what you have, depends the level of present you can expect, Wink as they are not cheap. lol If you're not into Landscapes then maybe forget about the wide angle lens. For filters, consider a Polariser if you haven't already got one. I have one on all the time, and really like effect. I went to Rome in October about 3 years ago, and the weather was still quite hot, and no rain. Wink

I'm planning a trip to Rome for July hopefully, and even though I'll take my 70-300mm lens, I doubt I'll use it. Last time I went I took a borrowed Sigma 10-20mm lens, though I only used it a few times, it was handy, particularly on the Vatican staircase. I always take a Tripod, as there are some good shots to be had of the Colosseum at least. I'd also ask whether you will be out late enough to take advantage of a Tripod.

Perry_95
15 May 2011 - 6:22 PM

Am not sure what times we will be out, but i dont think that i will be out late, therefor didnt think the tripod would be necassary, i thought a monopod would be great in the lower light conditions as i have read that it steadies the camera quite alot, perhaps a gorilla pod? and investing in a wide angle lens might be a bit out of my budget. A polarising filter WILL be on my list however, thanks for all the input! Grin

strawman
strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
15 May 2011 - 7:11 PM

I went to Rome and @ 70% of the shots were with a wide angle lens, so my vote would be to go with your 18-55mm and 50-200mm lenses. If you have not tried it before, it could be a good time to try out stitching as their is often not a lot of space, so turning the camera on its side and then stitching them together after is a good low cost way of getting a wider field of view.

If you were to get anything for the trip a couple of extra memory cards or spare battery would be my advice. I loved Rome hope you have a good time.

Big Bri
15 May 2011 - 7:21 PM

Be aware that the Trevi fountain is crowded pretty much all the time, to get a photo without people in, you'll need to be very tall or very ruthless Wink

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014407 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
15 May 2011 - 7:27 PM

If you plan on visiting the Vatican, be sure and read up on the latest dress code, they're very strict, at least they were when I was there, wouldn't let us in with shorts.

Hugo
Hugo  9635 forum posts United Kingdom
15 May 2011 - 8:29 PM

At least take a small tripod -you can balance it on a wall etc. For crowded situations, you can set a long exposure, 30 sec, this will blur some of the people.

I have one of these - Ultrapod 2 http://www.pedcopods.com/specsup2.htm

http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/ProductDetails~productID~7965~categoryid~149.html

Last Modified By Hugo at 15 May 2011 - 8:32 PM
Big Bri
15 May 2011 - 8:39 PM

I got some great light trail shots on the Corso using a tripod. I only got a good shot of the Trevi fountain by moving someone out of the way. They didn't seem too badly injured... Wink

Perry_95
15 May 2011 - 10:31 PM

For quick usage i was thinking of getting a teleconverter so instead of switching lenses in a crowded place where there is nowhere to stop, then i could pop on the converter? i can get a gorilla pod aswell and perhaps a small monopod. Have decided on not taking my tripod because i will probably not be going out in the nights, if i am i will use the mono or gorilla pod, and i will be in a group in museams where you cant have tripods as they can be "trip hazards". So, monopod, small tirpod/gorilla pod, polarising filter, SD card (have plenty of batteries!!) and what about a teleconverter? 1.4x or 2x or none?

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
16 May 2011 - 8:07 AM

The teleconverter fits between the lens and body, so you would still have to stop and jiggle things about.

Ian

Perry_95
16 May 2011 - 9:27 AM

I think what i mean is a tele extender then?

roxpix
roxpix  102236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points
16 May 2011 - 9:29 AM

Why not ask for a 50mm lens for your birthday & only take that for the body with a bean bag

Saves lugging stuff around every day & itíll cope with many more low light situations & allow/force you to really think about composition & with a little horizontal movement on your part itíll still do a wider angle/close up.

If you donít think you could manage with just this lens than also take the 18-55 only for when crowds/barriers donít allow you to walk back/forward

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.