Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Royal Mail - The beginning of the End ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Apr 2013 - 9:26 PM

So after hiking up their postal charges by 100% and over , reducing the size of parcels you can post , reducing the amount of compensation you can claim , and turning their smaller branches into off licenses what does the future hold for RM. I cannot believe the senseless greed aimed directly at this countries SMEs in this time of great hardship.

Many smaller ebay businesses and online shops will now be facing closure as customers refuse to pay the ridiculous costs and yet another once great institution will crumble. Meanwhile Ebay are enforcing a policy of free p&p on sellers which in turn gets them a greater final value fee, so many short sighted greedy giants out there and only so much pie to go round ....

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Apr 2013 - 9:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Graysta
Graysta  91135 forum posts England
3 Apr 2013 - 9:43 PM

Would you take a letter to where they do for the same cost?
My opinion is it's great value .

pulsar69
3 Apr 2013 - 9:59 PM

Great value for letters , not for anything else , hundreds of cheaper options than RM now and all offering the same and better service.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023105 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
3 Apr 2013 - 10:04 PM

Indeed, I now use Yodel when I want my parcel treating like ****

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
3 Apr 2013 - 10:06 PM

It's almost like corporate suicide. I cannot see the business sense in what they are doing as it will just drive people towards couriers.

And, as you rightly say it will have huge knock-on consequences. Many small POs rely heavily on e-bayers using the RM. It could lead to more PO closures which in turn will have a significant negative effect upon small communities.

My wife, who has over 3,000 e-Bay feedbacks to her name has decided that enough is enough. The new postal rates make it impossible to sell her stuff economically so she has stopped completely. As a result, EBay have lost a good seller (100% feedback and with very high detailed seller ratings) and our local PO now has 30-50 less parcels to deal with every week. A lose:lose situation.

pulsar69
3 Apr 2013 - 10:13 PM

Really sorry to hear your wife has given up , however I do think there are other options around and have noticed that MyHermes offering a much cheaper option for packages AND collecting from your home with next day service seem to be one of the favourites now with others like Yodel and Collect+ picking up pace.

I personally dont think EBay and RM are best of buddies and Ebay are now attempting to force sellers into free p&p whilst also emailing out reminders that we dont have to use RM and there are other options linked to your ebay account ( wink wink ) , it makes sense to them ... I just cant get my head round RMs thinking ...

pablophotographer

-"Frankly my dear I don't give a dime."

Some nice people from the red army had "lost" clinically some parcels I had posted out.
Yes I had insured them but in the whole mess and moving adventure I had misplaced the receipts so I never asked for the compensation. They were items of sentimental value amongst what I can recall, so no money could replace them. I worked a blue moon in their HR dept. In one month I had seen 99.99% sick notes of anxiety and just one or a true postman's nightmare: "dog bite".

rainfall
rainfall e2 Member 3rainfall vcard United Kingdom
3 Apr 2013 - 10:25 PM

I think the best thing that can happen to Royal Mail is privatise it. I find their 'service' dire. I dread collecting parcels from the local delivery office as I have to put up with shoddy attitudes, customer disrespect, and in one case, sexism. I am fed up of them posting the parcel note through the door without even knocking on the door to see if there is someone in to sign for it, that has happened a few times. Sometimes they put the parcel in the bin and leave the card stating that's where they put it. It hasn't, so far, happened on bin collection day though!

dcash29
dcash29  81908 forum posts England
3 Apr 2013 - 10:39 PM

Ive never had any problems or lost post by the Royal Mail.

pulsar69
3 Apr 2013 - 10:40 PM

you must be 'The Chosen One'

Last Modified By pulsar69 at 3 Apr 2013 - 10:41 PM
JJGEE
JJGEE  96319 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
3 Apr 2013 - 10:42 PM

Quote: I am fed up of them posting the parcel note through the door without even knocking on the door to see if there is someone in to sign for it

Yes, that is rather irritating ! !

Last Modified By JJGEE at 3 Apr 2013 - 10:42 PM
paulcookphotography

Personally i love the Doctor Who stamp collection

Quote: I think the best thing that can happen to Royal Mail is privatise it. I find their 'service' dire. I dread collecting parcels from the local delivery office as I have to put up with shoddy attitudes, customer disrespect, and in one case, sexism. I am fed up of them posting the parcel note through the door without even knocking on the door to see if there is someone in to sign for it, that has happened a few times. Sometimes they put the parcel in the bin and leave the card stating that's where they put it. It hasn't, so far, happened on bin collection day though!

Our postie and courier services have left packages in places and put a card through the door too, but always in a safe and secure place (yes, we have had the bin too) if they couldnt deliver to a neighbour. Our local postie would, however, know which day is bin day (and certainly more recently as bins are no longer collected from gardens and have to be left by the roadside). My only issue was with one postie where i used to live who would just leave a package at the door (without even checking to see if i was actually in). That said, i have been mostly satisfied with the royal mail although the prices for some services has become silly. As far as my local post office (now a post office/general goods/village shop) goes, i couldnt ask for better service

edtaylor
edtaylor  3104 forum posts United Kingdom
4 Apr 2013 - 6:27 AM

I sent two rolls of 120 film to a mate. It cost me 3.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104025 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2013 - 7:43 AM

My wife sells on ebay - we use the small parcel (under 500g recorded delivery 2nd class) service. I see it's gone up from 3.15 to 3.70. I don't call that dramatic. If you're selling larger/heavier items on ebay then perhaps RM isn't the best provider.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2013 - 7:45 AM

Speaking as an ex-employee, Royal Mail has been on the slippery slide for some years now, I'm actually surprised it still exists. I've started using parcel2go as an alternative and haven't had any problems as yet, unlike Royal Mail who most of the time can't even seem to deliver my letters to the right address, either that or my postie is dyslexic!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.