Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Rude Photographers

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
mossy
mossy  146 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2013 - 11:46 PM

Quote: The Circus has started already this year in Northumberland. On Sunday I was at Cresswell ponds at Druridge Bay Northumberland photographing Owls, as were one or two other togs. Suddenly a convoy of eight offroaders came blasting down the small lane, showering the many puddles all over the place, then a load of Muppets in orange, yes thats right orange high viz coats lept out with their camera gear, all shouting into two way radios! This stupid inconsiderate action promptly scared any wildlife withi miles away. From the markings on the 4x4s it looked like a foreign trip, Belgian or Dutch. After they had scared everything away they promptly left, leaving us in peace and quite, and the Owls again.
What sort of company behaves like this? Do they and their clients realise what they are doing? I have witnessed this before at St Abbs Head but never before in Northumberland. SadSadSadSad

Im a long time Northumbrian birder, and even before digital came along there were photographers who often disturbed birds to try and get a shot.

These days with the advent of digital gear being carried by all and sundry and pagers mobiles and internet sites, any rarity is swamped by the birding paparazzi. No fieldcraft of respect or others, many no longer report finds because of the bad behaviour. I keep finds to a discreet few these days, such a shame really.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Jan 2013 - 11:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LynneJoyce
LynneJoyce e2 Member 5LynneJoyce vcard United Kingdom96 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2013 - 9:42 AM

My greatest irritation is the huge battalion of monstrous egos (all nationalities here) who plunge themselves right in the middle of your carefully set up location shot, drape themselves over the sculpture or landmark in an exaggerated Hollywood style posture then affect an inane grin so that their acolyte can take a picture of them with a Mickey Mouse camera. I call these shots 'Me Ats' as their purpose is to bore family and friends rigid with a whole series of these with a commentary that starts

"This is me at......"

Me At egos seem to have no regard for others at all. There were hundreds of them when we went to the City of Arts and Sciences in Valencia and they shoved their way into almost every shot I set up. I was near homicidal by the end of the trip!

Do you think that we photographers, particularly those of the wrinkly old bat tendency like myself, are a little lacking in patience?

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93427 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2013 - 10:00 AM

For me, that's one of the best reasons to buy a ten stop filter. In anything less than blazing sunlight, the click-and-run crowd just disappear from your photos. I once stacked three nd filters in a church to bring the exposure time up to five minutes after I realised that no one stuck around more than thirty seconds. Works a treat.

Geoffphoto
31 Jan 2013 - 5:16 PM

Quote: Me At egos seem to have no regard for others at all. There were hundreds of them when we went to the City of Arts and Sciences in Valencia and they shoved their way into almost every shot I set up. I was near homicidal by the end of the trip!

I always find that a quick bash on the side of their head with a 300m f2.8 and an apologetic "sorry, didn't see you with this lens on" normally does the trick. Smile

Last Modified By Geoffphoto at 31 Jan 2013 - 5:18 PM
LynneJoyce
LynneJoyce e2 Member 5LynneJoyce vcard United Kingdom96 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2013 - 5:25 PM

Geoffphoto - that's inspired!

LVanDhal
LVanDhal  1126 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2013 - 10:13 PM

I just yell "WASP" and start flapping my hands around, everyone automatically looks round and shifts, never failed me yet.

LynneJoyce
1 Feb 2013 - 4:25 AM

I am impressed at people's creative deviance!

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012491 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2013 - 7:02 AM

Quote: I always find that a quick bash on the side of their head with a 300m f2.8 and an apologetic "sorry, didn't see you with this lens on" normally does the trick

not on the head but tapped a woman on the shoulder with mine who had barged her way to the front and then stood right in front of my lens! I'd been stood for ages in the rain at a particular vantage point and was well peeved that she had the nerve! Grin

The torch run was spectacular for annoyed photographers - the patient ones who had waited not getting in peoples way. One lady in a wheelchair had been sat for ages and along came a family taking no notices of police or barriers and stand in front of her pushing themselves into the road and with it the crowd behind because they could no longer see. People with camera phones pushing from behind and hitting you on the head, the smell of BO was nasty at times but you have to stand your ground hey?Grin

Last Modified By answersonapostcard at 1 Feb 2013 - 7:04 AM
779HOB
779HOB  2985 forum posts United Kingdom
1 Feb 2013 - 7:18 AM

Sometimes you have to be rude. Getting into position to get a shot can mean elbows and carefully angled flashes. I am not sure I would use this approach if I was taking a landscape though.

GlennH
GlennH e2 Member 81822 forum postsGlennH vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2013 - 7:23 AM

Bash too many people on the side of the head with a large telephoto and you'll probably end up eating it. Boisterous behaviour from photographers is surely one of the things that makes people so willing to casually disregard them. If I have too many people drifting into a picture I tend to see it as divine intervention, or an atheist's equivalent—my fault—for being so damn unoriginal or for expecting a clear shot in a popular tourist destination at mid-day. These realisations make me either extremely patient, or I walk off, depending on how much sleep I've had.

Last Modified By GlennH at 1 Feb 2013 - 7:23 AM
Lillian
Lillian e2 Member 4Lillian vcard United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2013 - 7:08 PM

I have to say after reading these comments
agree yes! there are so many rude photographers out there, but that's life...and reading the comments..some good lessons to learn
.. get a hat that says go on try it!(or jacket) with the words
stand in front of me, at your own peril with a crazy dog picture to matchWink
sorry...just wanted to join inGrin
But lots of great friendly photographers too

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214383 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2013 - 7:36 PM

Quote: not on the head but tapped a woman on the shoulder with mine who had barged her way to the front and then stood right in front of my lens

My biggest pet hate are those that think they can walk up to anyone and take a picture of them in the street even if they complain and ask them not too, pulling out that stupid get out of jail card.

The last one that did that to my wife and kids got a punch on the nose, there`s no telling some people Smile

pulsar69
pulsar69  91611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2013 - 8:46 PM

Quote: It may be reasonable to express an opinion about specific people you have met, but generalised remarks are not reasonable. One has been removed. People have offered balance here for some remarks; as such these can stay.
The point of this thread is that of behaviour, not nationality.

It is actually commonplace for people to generalize based on their experience and a photographic forum is maybe not the place to be deciding on freedom of speech, no one has made any remarks which are unjust and all are based on their own experience, neither has anything libelous been mentioned as far as i can see. One of the problems in this country is people are afraid to stand up and be counted and say what they think for fear of someone telling them they shouldn't or cant. We have not fought two world wars to secure our freedom not to be able to enjoy it have we ?

This is not a dig at the moderators comment either as they are doing their job trying to keep the forum a safe and happy place so good on them, but really us English should take after our predecessors and stand up for ourselves !

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214383 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2013 - 9:15 PM

Quote: This is not a dig at the moderators comment either as they are doing their job trying to keep the forum a safe and happy place so good on them, but really us English should take after our predecessors and stand up for ourselves

X2 Smile

lemmy
lemmy  61672 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Feb 2013 - 7:04 PM

Quote: The last one that did that to my wife and kids got a punch on the nose, there`s no telling some people

There is no law against photographing people in the street. Many photographers on this forum do it. Street photography is perfectly legal. There are laws against using violence on people. I am surprised you have had so much trouble with photographers, Paul, It's not something I've ever found major problem when out shopping.

What do your children say when they see you assault someone?

I seem to inhabit a different world from some people here. I've rarely been treated rudely by other photographers, they tend to be quite friendly. I find people do queue most of the time. There is occasional rudeness but most people are are not rude at all. Plus, I spend three to four months a year in France and can say from personal experience that they queue just as we do. They are more polite than we are, not because we are rude so much as because the English are much more 'in your face' and brash than the French are. They are regarded as stand-offish because they are much more reserved than the English, more like we were in the 50s, really.

I'm glad to have led the charmed life I have, it must be horrible to meet so many nasty individuals. Maybe it's because I'm six foot six with a barrel chest and 'love' and 'hate' tattooed on my knuckles Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.