Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Rude Photographers

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314915 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2013 - 7:19 PM

Quote: There is no law against photographing people in the street. Many photographers on this forum do it. Street photography is perfectly legal. There are laws against using violence on people. I am surprised you have had so much trouble with photographers, Paul, It's not something I've ever found major problem when out shopping

My daughter was beaten to within inches of here life last year Lemmy, this so called photography caused her a lot of distress, the refused to stop and move on when I politely asked him to, he even pulled that stupid photographer rights card, he was being aggressive and abusive, at that point I smiled and let him have it.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Feb 2013 - 7:19 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014469 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2013 - 7:29 PM

It's not photographers in my case, it's old lady's with shopping carts.Tongue

They go for the achilles tendon.

lemmy
lemmy  71768 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Feb 2013 - 7:31 PM

Quote: My daughter was beaten to within inches of here life last year Lemmy

That's awful. Why the heck would a photographer do that? Did he get a long sentence? GBH, presumably?

What's a photographer's right card, by the way? I was in the newspaper business and had a police card but we were all vetted for that and no-one with a conviction would get one. It didn't give you any special rights, of course, no card can do that, obviously, but it did mean that if the police had any queries they knew you were bona-fide and for whom you worked.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314915 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2013 - 7:32 PM

I should have added, he was just the sort of street photographer that gives the rest of us a bad name Sad

lemmy
2 Feb 2013 - 9:04 PM

I've not found that people like him have tarred me with any brush at all, luckily.

What kind of street photographer was he? What did he do? How is your daughter? Did the police catch the bloke? What sentence did he get?

It sounds awful - this bloke beat your daughter up and then you hit him - when was the court case in the paper? Was he a paparrazzi? What was he up to?

Paul Morgan
2 Feb 2013 - 9:13 PM

Quote: It sounds awful - this bloke beat your daughter up and then you hit him

I think you have your wires crossed somewhere.

mikehit
mikehit  46163 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2013 - 11:15 PM

Quote: What's a photographer's right card, by the way?

If I understand Paul's comment, it is now more common for keen photographers to carry a card that outlines a photographer's rights. It was originally intended as a defence against over officious policemen/secruity guards as a way of pointing out that it is not illegal to photograph people/buildings in public. Unfortuantely a pain-in-the-ass few believe it also asserts their rights to do anything they want and be annoying as they want. The sort of self-rigtheous git who bangs on about their rights without acknowledging that with rights come responsibilities.

Paul Morgan
2 Feb 2013 - 11:39 PM

You have got it in a nut shell Mike Smile

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014469 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
3 Feb 2013 - 12:32 AM

It's ok for a person to be aware of their own rights, as long as they respect the rights of others. This is too often not the case in today's upside down world.

lemmy
3 Feb 2013 - 10:48 AM

I am still mystified as to where all these badly behaved photographers come from. I am out and about in London, my own area and central London.

I go to exhibitions and Richmond Park and out cycling, to gigs and concerts and all sorts of things, an active life by most standards yet I simply never come across all these vile photographers. Where are they all? Why do they avoid me? Perhaps I'm one of them.

I am serious, I have never been in a position where I have had to hit a photographer. Where do you meet all these rotters? It's getting that I'd like to go there and watch the mayhem. Sounds better than TV, that's for sure.

Even when I'm in France I don't see the dreadful behaviour that I apparently should. Perhaps I'm a one man United Nations peacekeeper. In fact, even in Sarajevo in wartime I didn't see the behaviour people see here. Locations please, I want to go and watch!

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63279 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
3 Feb 2013 - 11:16 AM

Quote: Locations please, I want to go and watch!

OK a trivial instance:
I'm a member of the Scottish Orchid Society & every year we have a display at the Glasgow Botanic Gardens Kibble Palace during the Orchid Fair. Every year people come along & take photos of the plants. Last year it was a particularly good display with some unusual specimens on show & people were pushing & fighting to get in to photograph them. 2 or 3 times I had to step in & sort out arguments. At one time I even had people lined up waiting to take their photos.
Most of the pushy ones were probably not enthusiast togs as they were using camera phones, although there was one character with a bridge camera who was a complete pain, pushing through then moving people out of his way so he could get the perfect shot. In the end I (politely) sent him away & told him to come back later when it would be quieter & he could get his photos in peace.

Quote: It's getting that I'd like to go there and watch the mayhem

If you want to see this years bunfight it's on April 20-21st Wink

lemmy
3 Feb 2013 - 11:35 AM

Quote: If you want to see this years bunfight it's on April 20-21st

Thanks for that. I'd love to come and watch but it's a bit far. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for all this mayhem, sounds like I'm missing out.

I'm trying seriously to think why I don't see all these photographer rotters. All I can think of is that I just don't take pictures at events like yours since I'm happy to look at and remember lovely things rather than take pictures of them, so I'd have looked and then walked away before the trouble started.

I remember the first time I came into Manhattan on a boat and that magnificent skyline came rising up. And the front of the boat was covered with people taking photographs. But to me, watching it come up through a camera viewfinder is little different from seeing it on film or on TV as we all have many times. I just watch and then buy a postcard if I really must have record of something like that. The postcards of the Manhattan skyline are far better than anything I could have done from the front of the boat that day.

That must be it, I like photography as a solitary thing. As a pressman, I hated being with a pack for a PR event. The best stuff always comes from what you do differently from others, not standing beside them. And definitely not if they are going to push and jostle and even punch you!

LynneJoyce
LynneJoyce e2 Member 6LynneJoyce vcard United Kingdom97 Constructive Critique Points
3 Feb 2013 - 3:05 PM

Hey, where do I get one of those Photographers' Rights cards?

lemmy
3 Feb 2013 - 3:24 PM

Quote: Hey, where do I get one of those Photographers' Rights cards?

The British Boxing Board of Control of far as I can tell.

Paul Morgan
3 Feb 2013 - 4:34 PM

I`ve only ever had one issue, the one I described.

I`m a bit mystified with those believing they need to carry some card, I have never ever been stopped or had any problems out with my camera myself.

I guess some people set out to try there luck.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.