Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Rumors: Nikon system versus Micro Four Thirds

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2011 - 10:37 AM

Micro Four Thirds will soon get new competition from one of the two big brothers…Nikon!
Apparently, the Nikon system will be announced on September 21.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Sep 2011 - 10:37 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
9 Sep 2011 - 11:07 AM

2.7 CF!??

No thanks.

TimMunsey
TimMunsey e2 Member 386 forum postsTimMunsey vcard United Kingdom
9 Sep 2011 - 11:12 AM

Unless they're doing something really fancy like stacking to eliminate noise it's going to be a non starter.

Tim

User_Removed
9 Sep 2011 - 12:09 PM

I'll wait for them to bring our a mirrorless CSC which has at least the sensor of the D7000 (or whatever they are going to use in the D400) and a Nikon-F lens mount.

That really will blow the micro four thirds concept out of the water.

Unlikely to be announced this month but can't be too long now.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53617 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2011 - 1:14 PM

Even canon are rumoured to be following suit, not because its an SLR slayer, but because many many people are buying a m4/3 as a new camera. Its a lucrative area and i'm sure canon and nikon want some of the action and may hope that it creates some brand loyalty for those that then move up.

Carrera_c
Carrera_c  5256 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2011 - 1:39 PM

Quote: I'll wait for them to bring our a mirrorless CSC which has at least the sensor of the D7000 (or whatever they are going to use in the D400) and a Nikon-F lens mount.

That'll never happen, all they'd accomplish there would be to destroy the sales of all their consumer level D-SLR cameras.

They've picked this very carefully, they obviously want a slice of the CSC market, so they've very carefully placed this in between their compact and D-SLR offering, done in a way that they're not likely to take any sales away from either market.

Personally, I think it's a mistake to use such a small sensor and it's not going to succeed against the Olympus, Panasonic, and Sony offerings. But we shall see when it's out.

User_Removed
9 Sep 2011 - 1:55 PM

Quote: I'll wait for them to bring our a mirrorless CSC which has at least the sensor of the D7000 (or whatever they are going to use in the D400) and a Nikon-F lens mount.

That'll never happen, all they'd accomplish there would be to destroy the sales of all their consumer level D-SLR cameras.

You are missing one vital point here, Carrera-c. Sony already have a CSC out with the same sensor as the most recent Nikon DSLRs. That's the camera which led AP, the week before last, to lead with their "Is the DSLR dead?" feature which concluded "almost, but not quite yet".

This is the market that Nikon (and Canon) have to compete in and, for established DSLR photographers, looking for a smaller, lighter camera to augment their existing kit, a Nikon-F lens mount would be the only reason for them to stick with Nikon rather than to defect to Sony (or any of the many others that will follow Sony's lead).

Last Modified By User_Removed at 9 Sep 2011 - 1:56 PM
keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023026 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2011 - 1:58 PM

I already have a compact camera that takes F mount lenses - its called a D300

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2011 - 2:11 PM

Quote: I already have a compact camera that takes F mount lenses - its called a D300

Oooooeerrrrr....get him....Tongue WinkSmileGrin

Overread
Overread  63763 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2011 - 2:51 PM

Quote:

Maybe, but a good mirror less system still costs about the same as a good entry level DSLR system, so it won't cut overall profit for many, just change the product they are investing in. Plus it has duel added potential:

1) A more advanced camera, but with a smaller sensor and size might well attract many out of the point and shoots and bridge cameras into the mirrorless ones - only for them to get hooked and soon start to invest in larger sensored DSLRs.

2) As said many times, the current owners of DSLRs - from rebels up to bigger more beefy numbers - are often ones to invest in mirrorless cameras. Simply put there are many times when its just not practical to have the DSLR gear, when its too big, bulky and heavy for an occasion - enter the mirrorless cameras - smaller, lighter, easier to pocket and with the same controls and responses as the DSLR.

I think the sensor size issue is mostly moot - if you want the creativity of the bigger sensor you have to use the bigger camera and lenses - whilst if you want the portability you have to go for the smaller sensors.

franken
franken e2 Member 123125 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2011 - 2:53 PM

I'm sure Canon will also be releasing a model themselves.

It's becoming more and more apparent that not everybody want's to carry around a Digital SLR but would like the option of a much smaller camera that will take different lenses.

My Pentax SLR is small and compact but I still need to lug around a backpack to carry the lenses etc.

Some digital slr's are larger and heavier than the film originals that came out almost 60 years ago!

Ken

Last Modified By franken at 9 Sep 2011 - 2:54 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139431 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2011 - 2:57 PM

They should have signed up for M4/3. Unless they work some Nikon magic on it the smaller sensor will not do it any favours. But it may be genuinely pocketable, I guess.

I await with interest Canon's mirrorless effort

franken
franken e2 Member 123125 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2011 - 3:02 PM

It will be interesting to see how the Pentax offering goes when it get's a review on EPZ.

AP info here:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Pentax_Q_Hands_on_preview_news_309496....

Ken

ps, bit expensive!

Last Modified By franken at 9 Sep 2011 - 3:04 PM
lemmy
lemmy  71869 forum posts United Kingdom
9 Sep 2011 - 4:35 PM

I have an APS-C DSLR and a micro 4/3. They do different things but for the kind of person who wants a 'good' camera but is not an enthusiast, the 4/3 is more than good enough.

What I like about them is that the 4/3 is where the creative thinking is going on. How about that new little zoom from Panasonic, with a lever to focus and zoom and thus cut the size. Whether you would want one or not, what great thinking. Quite exciting to wonder what they'll come up with next. Much easier for companies coming from a consumer point of view rather than a camera maker's with all that tradition behind them.

lemmy
lemmy  71869 forum posts United Kingdom
9 Sep 2011 - 4:45 PM

I meant to add in my post, to gain an idea which way the wind is blowing, See here. Canon/ Nikon must be concerned.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.