Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Rumors: Nikon system versus Micro Four Thirds

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62359 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
9 Sep 2011 - 9:14 PM

There is no reason why Nikon could not bring out 2 bodies, one being a 20 MP D7000 size sensor, F mount, and video advantages - at a lower price than a D7000.
The other could be a smaller sensor body. Nikon made near "half frame" format lenses for the Ixus system.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Sep 2011 - 9:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
9 Sep 2011 - 9:21 PM

Quote: There is no reason why Nikon could not bring out 2 bodies, one being a 20 MP D7000 size sensor, F mount, and video advantages - at a lower price than a D7000.
The other could be a smaller sensor body. Nikon made near "half frame" format lenses for the Ixus system.

That's why I said I would wait for the former. And even if it cost as much as the D7000, I would still find it an attractive "second camera" (fifth actually - but you know what I mean).

LenShepherd
10 Sep 2011 - 8:14 AM

Nikon share price just went up 10% overnight - and Nikon have taken the unusual step in Japan of saying they have not announced a mirrorless body.
The Japanese share market is assuming Nikon mirrorless is a done deal. Whether or not it is remains to be seen.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 63723 forum postsNick_w vcard England98 Constructive Critique Points
10 Sep 2011 - 10:27 AM

I will wait for the official announcement, Nikon have a habit of surprising the Market ( like when they announced the D3)- That wasn't forecast by many and the quality level was unsurpassed then ( and still not bad now). Why can't a smaller sensor work as well as a 4/3 system? Nikon arn't in the habit of producing too many Turkeys.

LenShepherd
10 Sep 2011 - 1:29 PM

Updating there are 2 potential sources of competition.
Digressing the "better" competition has 2 electronic viewfinders.
There is the DSLR "liveview" viewfinder on the back of the viewfinder - and a conventional viewfinder that is electronic rather than optical. Electronics can show depth of field at the taking aperture without dimming, but can be a little slow to refresh at 10 frames a second.
The latest Olympus 4:3 attack is 45mm f1.8 (FX angle of view 90mm) with good out of focus detail at f1.8 - suggested street UK £270 - eventual street maybe below £240 - way below a Nikon 85mm f1.8 that does not AF on some recent Nikon bodies.
The better Olympus 4:3 cameras are probably sensor resolution and noise wise better than a D200 - enough for many purposes - and smaller, lighter and relatively inexpensive.
Next week's AP previews the Sony A77 with a DX size sensor and 24 MP.
24 MP delivers about 42% more resolution than 12 MP and 25% more than 16 MP. It has an EVF. Sony has probably wisely restricted ISO to an unusual 16,000 - better than the D3x at over £5,000 street. The Sony suggested price is £1,200 - with potential to fall below £1,000.
Samsung have a 20 MP fixed zoom body due soon.
Whilst 12 MP will still deliver enough quality for a good A3 print, 24 MP should be enough for A2 viewed close.
I predict an interesting 6 months ahead Smile

hortis123
hortis123  3
23 Sep 2011 - 2:35 PM

You are all probably aware by now of the new A1 announcement what are your opinions?

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2011 - 2:53 PM

A1? Do you mean J1, V1?

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2011 - 3:11 PM

You can get a feel from the publicity pictures as to what sort of market Nikon are aiming the 1-series.

nikon-1.jpg

lemmy
lemmy  61672 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Sep 2011 - 3:26 PM

Quote: You can get a feel from the publicity pictures as to what sort of market Nikon are aiming the 1-series.

I wouldn't have thought the market for people with more money than taste justified all this spending on developing new models.

Personally, I prefer something a little less subtle than these. I'm waiting for the 2 series which will have a flashing multi-colour beacon on top, a small loudspeaker shouting 'look at me! look at me! and an optional pop-up revolving sporran for when I'm on holiday in Scotland.

The Series 2W will have a built in water pistol for the young person's market, I hear but will entail not being able to take pictures as the pistol and water tank use the space previously taken by the lens.

thewilliam
23 Sep 2011 - 4:13 PM

Who said, "Nobody ever went broke by underestimating the taste of the general public"?

Just look at what passes as a newspaper in the UK!

keithh
keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2011 - 4:25 PM

If these new CSC aren't aimed at people like 'us' then at just short of a £1000, I'd love to know who they were aimed at.

Carabosse
23 Sep 2011 - 4:52 PM

I doubt they are aimed at you, Keith! Grin

lemmy
lemmy  61672 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Sep 2011 - 5:26 PM

Quote: If these new CSC aren't aimed at people like 'us' then at just short of a £1000, I'd love to know who they were aimed at.

Chavs? The sort who drive around in £40,000 Range Rovers.

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45761 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
27 Sep 2011 - 11:11 AM

I have heard that Canon have no intention of going into MFT and the creation of a whole new range of cameras/optics so if that is the thinking behind it maybe they may not even be looking at APS-C mirrorless design.
Having said that the launch of the 7D took everyone by surprise so you never know...

Carabosse
27 Sep 2011 - 3:37 PM

If Canon want to maintain or increase their market share they will have to produce a mirrorless design PDQ!

They won't go M4/3 though. They would have signed up by now, if it was their intention.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.