Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Rumors: Nikon system versus Micro Four Thirds

9 Sep 2011 9:14PM
There is no reason why Nikon could not bring out 2 bodies, one being a 20 MP D7000 size sensor, F mount, and video advantages - at a lower price than a D7000.
The other could be a smaller sensor body. Nikon made near "half frame" format lenses for the Ixus system.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
9 Sep 2011 9:21PM

Quote:There is no reason why Nikon could not bring out 2 bodies, one being a 20 MP D7000 size sensor, F mount, and video advantages - at a lower price than a D7000.
The other could be a smaller sensor body. Nikon made near "half frame" format lenses for the Ixus system.

That's why I said I would wait for the former. And even if it cost as much as the D7000, I would still find it an attractive "second camera" (fifth actually - but you know what I mean).
10 Sep 2011 8:14AM
Nikon share price just went up 10% overnight - and Nikon have taken the unusual step in Japan of saying they have not announced a mirrorless body.
The Japanese share market is assuming Nikon mirrorless is a done deal. Whether or not it is remains to be seen.
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
10 Sep 2011 10:27AM
I will wait for the official announcement, Nikon have a habit of surprising the Market ( like when they announced the D3)- That wasn't forecast by many and the quality level was unsurpassed then ( and still not bad now). Why can't a smaller sensor work as well as a 4/3 system? Nikon arn't in the habit of producing too many Turkeys.
10 Sep 2011 1:29PM
Updating there are 2 potential sources of competition.
Digressing the "better" competition has 2 electronic viewfinders.
There is the DSLR "liveview" viewfinder on the back of the viewfinder - and a conventional viewfinder that is electronic rather than optical. Electronics can show depth of field at the taking aperture without dimming, but can be a little slow to refresh at 10 frames a second.
The latest Olympus 4:3 attack is 45mm f1.8 (FX angle of view 90mm) with good out of focus detail at f1.8 - suggested street UK 270 - eventual street maybe below 240 - way below a Nikon 85mm f1.8 that does not AF on some recent Nikon bodies.
The better Olympus 4:3 cameras are probably sensor resolution and noise wise better than a D200 - enough for many purposes - and smaller, lighter and relatively inexpensive.
Next week's AP previews the Sony A77 with a DX size sensor and 24 MP.
24 MP delivers about 42% more resolution than 12 MP and 25% more than 16 MP. It has an EVF. Sony has probably wisely restricted ISO to an unusual 16,000 - better than the D3x at over 5,000 street. The Sony suggested price is 1,200 - with potential to fall below 1,000.
Samsung have a 20 MP fixed zoom body due soon.
Whilst 12 MP will still deliver enough quality for a good A3 print, 24 MP should be enough for A2 viewed close.
I predict an interesting 6 months ahead Smile
hortis123 4 9
23 Sep 2011 2:35PM
You are all probably aware by now of the new A1 announcement what are your opinions?
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
23 Sep 2011 2:53PM
A1? Do you mean J1, V1?
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
23 Sep 2011 3:11PM
You can get a feel from the publicity pictures as to what sort of market Nikon are aiming the 1-series.

nikon-1.jpg

lemmy e2
7 2.1k United Kingdom
23 Sep 2011 3:26PM

Quote:You can get a feel from the publicity pictures as to what sort of market Nikon are aiming the 1-series.

I wouldn't have thought the market for people with more money than taste justified all this spending on developing new models.

Personally, I prefer something a little less subtle than these. I'm waiting for the 2 series which will have a flashing multi-colour beacon on top, a small loudspeaker shouting 'look at me! look at me! and an optional pop-up revolving sporran for when I'm on holiday in Scotland.

The Series 2W will have a built in water pistol for the young person's market, I hear but will entail not being able to take pictures as the pistol and water tank use the space previously taken by the lens.
thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
23 Sep 2011 4:13PM
Who said, "Nobody ever went broke by underestimating the taste of the general public"?

Just look at what passes as a newspaper in the UK!
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
23 Sep 2011 4:25PM
If these new CSC aren't aimed at people like 'us' then at just short of a 1000, I'd love to know who they were aimed at.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
23 Sep 2011 4:52PM
I doubt they are aimed at you, Keith! Grin
lemmy e2
7 2.1k United Kingdom
23 Sep 2011 5:26PM

Quote:If these new CSC aren't aimed at people like 'us' then at just short of a 1000, I'd love to know who they were aimed at.

Chavs? The sort who drive around in 40,000 Range Rovers.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
27 Sep 2011 11:11AM
I have heard that Canon have no intention of going into MFT and the creation of a whole new range of cameras/optics so if that is the thinking behind it maybe they may not even be looking at APS-C mirrorless design.
Having said that the launch of the 7D took everyone by surprise so you never know...
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
27 Sep 2011 3:37PM
If Canon want to maintain or increase their market share they will have to produce a mirrorless design PDQ!

They won't go M4/3 though. They would have signed up by now, if it was their intention.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.