Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Running out of hard drive space

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    studioline
    19 Oct 2010 - 11:04 PM

Can anyone help me. I have two 320 hard drives but the one using lightroom is almost filled hence it is running soooo slow.
    Is it possible to move the whole program over to the other drive and reinstall it wihtout losing all the pics and how would you do that?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    19 Oct 2010 - 11:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown
    19 Oct 2010 - 11:14 PM

I'm not sure exactly what you mean when you say "move the whole programme" but whatever you decide, I suggest making a back up of all your images first.

Just in case.

Jester.

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade  1014708 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Oct 2010 - 11:21 PM

you can uninstall a program, then re-install it where ever you like

The pics are separate files - they do not "belong" to lightroom, they will not be deleted when you un-install.

However, Lightroom may have "preview" files for each shot - they may well be deleted

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Oct 2010 - 11:45 PM

Exactly as Ade has pointed out.....!

But you might be lucky if you save or back up your LR catalogue and any other cache files.

Then when you reinstall the program to another drive, You may be able to direct it to the exisiting catalogue cache.

Having said all that, IF your Lightroom is installed on the main/local " C " Drive, Moving it will not neccesarily speed things up.....!

Because if this is the case, The slowing down your experiencing, Is because your main C drive is becoming full, Leaving little or no room for page files ( Virtual Ram etc etc )

Rather than move a program, You would be wiser to move data files to clear the drive, Get yerself a 500Gb or 1 Tb external drive, Then start unloading some of that data to a safer place.

Not only that running software programs from drives other than the main/local " C " drive is just asking for grief........Wink

nsutcliffe
    20 Oct 2010 - 8:35 AM

Agree with cameracat. Move your Lightroom catalog(ue) and your pictures to a different drive and leave the application where it is.

gaelldew
    gaelldew  7267 forum posts United Kingdom
    20 Oct 2010 - 4:40 PM

Quote:
    Not only that running software programs from drives other than the main/local " C " drive is just asking for grief........Wink

Never had a problem, course opening big mouth and saying that means!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

devlin
    devlin  4651 forum posts India39 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Oct 2010 - 5:02 PM

Always a good idea to keep your partitions / HD separate one for data and the other for the OS and applications, if you have two internal HD's then you can have a dedicated HD for each...as a practice under windows you should also move your system default libraries to point to folders on your data partition / HD, this typically ensures that in the event of a crash or malfunction or if the sudden fancy takes you to re-install / try different OS (like it does for me) its easier to manage since your data is independent of your OS and apps.

studioline
    20 Oct 2010 - 7:50 PM

Hi all. It is two internal drives. I have managed to move the photos and back up to the non windows os drive and reassign lightroom to save and look in that drive. This should technically now work. Transferring 32000 photographs took some time hence will reassess whether it worked today.
    I have backuped every photograph onto a separate drive just in case. i may be a bit overkill on the back ups as I save every flashcard direct to my usb connected external drive first before loading them onto lightroom (just in case something bad happens). Lightroom backs up the photographs and finally I have the last usb back up drive to make a full copy of every photograph on the hard drive. Never had a problem yet but....
    Thanks for all the help. Will let you know how I get on.

studioline
    19 Nov 2010 - 10:42 PM

Just to close this topic up, I fitted a 2gb hard drive to the computer and it works just great. I used a "green" drive which saves energy and this may explain why it does take a while for the computer to boot up however thereafter the speed is just perfect.
    Thanks for all for the help.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.