Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Running scared?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    jondf
    jondf  82475 forum posts
    7 Oct 2012 - 9:52 AM

The phone hacking victims' pressure group 'Hacked Off' has urged new press regulation in light of the Leveson enquiry's findings. Yet we hear that some MPs are against this. Although the link below mentions Tory MPs, I'm not making a party political point here because it's likely that politicians of all colours who see the press as a convenient vehicle for their own ends would prefer the status quo to remain as is. But isn't it the case that the press by its own self-interested actions has forfeited the right to operate in an unregulated environment?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19860570

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Oct 2012 - 9:52 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
    7 Oct 2012 - 10:37 AM

Does the press control the politicians or is it the other way round?

I'll always remember a sketch by the impressionist Mike Yarwood back in the 1970s. He was playing the newly appointed Labour Prime Minister and started off, "Jack Jones (then the TUC General Secretary) asked me to form a new government ......."

These days, might Rory Bremner start a sketch, "Rupert Murdoch asked me to form a new government .........."?

Last Modified By thewilliam at 7 Oct 2012 - 10:43 AM
    robthecamman
    7 Oct 2012 - 11:02 AM

the polaticans want to get photo opportunities anywere every where they can to paint a false face to the gullible public be it labour or conservative etc its all about me me me fill my pockets sod the public while the country falls apart

jondf
    jondf  82475 forum posts
    7 Oct 2012 - 11:41 AM

Quote: the polaticans want to get photo opportunities anywere every where they can to paint a false face to the gullible public be it labour or conservative etc its all about me me me fill my pockets sod the public while the country falls apart

Blimey, is it that bad?

mikehit
    mikehit  56444 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Oct 2012 - 11:12 PM

Self regulation has failed, and even if it has not then the impression that the public have is that it has failed so it needs overhauling. How often have the press claimed the Independent Police Complaints Commission does not appear to be doing its job so must have a beter system? Apparently the GMC over the years is not doing its job because it is run by 'the boys'. SO I would say the press have been hoist by their own petard.

The problem is that when peopls talk about 'press regulation' they automatically think in terms of legal regulation by dictat from Government so I can understand that some MPs will genuinely have a concern about a politically regulated press (others will have more sinister reasons be it a desire for a mutual relationship with press barons, or calling favours to avoid it coming to fruition). However there are a host of other ways that something like the PCC can be organised, possibly with some legally binding powers (like ACAS for example).

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.