Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Running Windows XP? Time to upgrade to Win8

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72303 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
26 Oct 2012 - 11:39 AM

Windows 8 has been released today and for a limited time they are discounting the online download upgrade. I admit, it's quite a bit different to anything Windows has been in the past, but for the price you can't argue to much plus it upgrades from XP unlike Windows 7 which didn't.

Hardware requirements aren't to heavy either so you could run it on many of the computers purchased back in 2007.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Oct 2012 - 11:39 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

puertouk
puertouk  21054 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2012 - 11:58 AM

You will find XP will have no backup, so it makes sense to upgrade to Windows 8.

User_Removed
26 Oct 2012 - 12:13 PM

My view is if it ain't broke then don't fix it. If XP works fine for you then don't risk an upgrade. You'd have the hassle of finding new drivers for printers, scanners etc too and might find they don't exist yet.

If you've got Vista and find things are slow then consider the upgrade.

jembo
jembo  10104 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Oct 2012 - 12:14 PM

24.99 is a steal.

But I wonder how many security issues will be found in the first few months.

Jestertheclown
26 Oct 2012 - 12:20 PM

I agree with Chris.
I'm still quite happily running XP on my few-years-old Dell without any inherent problems.
I've got XP on a re-installation disc with copies of all of the drivers. In a worst case scenario, I can have it formatted and up and running again in a couple of hours. I know that because it's happened!
I'm not sure that I'd be able to do that with '8.' Not yet anyway.
It might be worth buying the upgrade and hanging on to it though.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 26 Oct 2012 - 12:21 PM
redsnappa
redsnappa  111900 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Oct 2012 - 12:34 PM

Quote: But I wonder how many security issues will be found in the first few months.

maybe the same amount found in the early release of Windows 7

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72303 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
26 Oct 2012 - 12:40 PM

We did a fresh install of their release candidate in the office a couple of months ago and had no problems. It actually did it within 1 hour and was a much easier process to go through. Best of all, it had all the drivers it needed for all the hardware already so didn't have any need to hunt down drivers. It was one of the easiest OS installs I have experienced.

No doubt there will be security holes, but they all do, including XP.

knikki91
knikki91  732 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Oct 2012 - 12:42 PM

I would read up as much as you can before moving from AP to Win8. It is a mix of an OS in the fact that it really is designed to run using touch screens, using a keyboard and mouse is not so easy plus I think a few of the short cut keys have ben removed.

As someone else pointed out there will be no upgrade route from XP you have to trash your system and fresh install Win8.

How do I know?

Been using it for the last couple of month on test system.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53540 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2012 - 12:49 PM

If adobe applications have been validated on the old XP install, it say you will need to reinstall them - i think you need to prepare you XP copy of adobe apps to be reinstalled by advising adobe of this.

If you running Win7, then it says that your installed apps will "easily transfer to Windows 8 Pro" i wonder if this means that you won't need to reregister with adobe?

Last Modified By JackAllTog at 26 Oct 2012 - 12:49 PM
davidburleson
26 Oct 2012 - 12:49 PM

No Upgrade route from XP?

Where did you read this? Pretty much everywhere I have read there is upgrade route from xp to win8:

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-tip-upgrade-windows-xp-14...
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy

Yes, you may need to re-install some of the programs, but your files and settings will still all be there.

It is designed for primarily touch screens, but haven't found any problems using a mouse and keyboard as I quickly picked up that you can do alot of the same genstures with a mouse and a click or a scroll wheel.

Each to their own, I would recommend the upgrade if you can other may not. Up to you really Smile

Last Modified By davidburleson at 26 Oct 2012 - 12:49 PM
JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53540 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2012 - 12:50 PM

Would a wacom pen and tablet reproduce the gestures as it you were on a touch screen?

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014052 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2012 - 12:58 PM

Quote: You'd have the hassle of finding new drivers for printers, scanners etc too and might find they don't exist yet.

Not sure about that Chris - from what I read if you run the upgrade assistant it checks all those compatibility issues before it does the upgrade. i don't think the driver model has changed much so support on Windows8 Pro shouldn't be too bad.

If I get some spare time i might do a 7-8 upgrade at the weekend for a laugh.

Jestertheclown
26 Oct 2012 - 1:28 PM

Does anyone know how long this offer's going to last?
I still think that Chris has a point and I was going to hold fire until SP1 surfaced but if I can be convinced that it will all work after the change, I might just be tempted.
Also, there's the question of it being an 'upgrade.'
When '7' came along there was a lot of talk on here about the benefits of doing a fresh installation as opposed to upgrading (and I can see the sense in that). Apparently it was possible to do either from the same disc.
Is that likely to be an option with this deal?

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014052 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2012 - 1:38 PM

Quote: Does anyone know how long this offer's going to last?

This offer runs up until the end of January 2013. though if you paid the extr 20 for disks you could use them whenever you like Smile

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 26 Oct 2012 - 1:39 PM
Jestertheclown
26 Oct 2012 - 1:42 PM

The answers to my questions above.
The article's aimed at upgrading from '7' but I think that upgrading from Xp/Vista will take you down much the same road.
Evidently it is possible to do a fresh instal, which would be my favoured route.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.