Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here


PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Running Windows XP? Time to upgrade to Win8


Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
26 Oct 2012 1:44PM
Thanks Chris, beat me to it.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cambirder e2
10 7.2k England
26 Oct 2012 1:49PM
For a desktop PC or laptop I really can't see the point, but if you are going to do it don't do a upgrade and carry over all the crap that's built up over the years a clean install would be the best way to go.

My PC is only a few weeks old but I'm sticking with 7, as I can't see a single reason to change.
Gaucho e2
13 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
26 Oct 2012 2:35PM
I agree with you Paul. Win 7 works beautifully on a desktop. I won't be changing anytime soon.
26 Oct 2012 3:02PM
Fair enough with Win 7 users, but if your on XP, I would strongly suggest taking advantage of the discount.
cats_123 e2
10 4.3k 25 Northern Ireland
26 Oct 2012 3:06PM
what size ram is required to operate W8?..I have xp on my netbook but it doesn't have a large enough ram to cope wiuth W7 so can't see it working with W8
26 Oct 2012 3:09PM
Minimum is 1GB, but I would recommend around 2GB
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
26 Oct 2012 3:11PM
Hi Cats, Running the upgrade assistant will show if you pc is able to run W8
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8
W8 is said to offer performance improvements over W7, its meant to be faster at booting and rendering screen items so maybe its not going to slow you machine down ? Don't know but am tempted to try this Sunday for the gadget factor alone. I'm on w7.
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
26 Oct 2012 3:18PM
Thanks Stuart.
I was looking for that.
cats_123 e2
10 4.3k 25 Northern Ireland
26 Oct 2012 3:21PM

Quote:Minimum is 1GB, but I would recommend around 2GB
thks, Dave...If my memory serves correctly, W7 needed 2Gb (I only have 1Gb Sad).......might be worth a try Smile


Quote:Hi Cats, Running the upgrade assistant will show if you pc is able to run W8
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8
W8 is said to offer performance improvements over W7, its meant to be faster at booting and rendering screen items so maybe its not going to slow you machine down ? Don't know but am tempted to try this Sunday for the gadget factor alone. I'm on w7.



thanks, Stuart Smile
26 Oct 2012 3:31PM
cats_123 e2
10 4.3k 25 Northern Ireland
26 Oct 2012 3:34PM
well I ran the upgrade assistant...thge good news - I can run W8; the bad news - I would have to reinstall nearly all my programs....whilst that's not beyond me, I find it quite disappointing...my netbook doesn't have an external drive, so everything would have to be downloaded...that will take forever Sad
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
26 Oct 2012 3:46PM

Quote:Well I ran the upgrade assistant...thge good news - I can run W8; the bad news - I would have to reinstall nearly all my programs....whilst that's not beyond me, I find it quite disappointing...my netbook doesn't have an external drive, so everything would have to be downloaded...that will take forever Sad

:-( never mind, On a positive note, apart from increased security and speed the operating system actually does very little, its the apps that do the work - so as said above - if it aint broke don't fix it.
And next year maybe consider a new W8 netbook when the prices drop and the initial bugs are ironed out - or save all the money for lenses Smile instead.
26 Oct 2012 3:49PM
Hi Cats,

It might be investigating further you upgrade options, you may only need to re-install your programs but your files will still be there. Not for sure, but worth checking.
cats_123 e2
10 4.3k 25 Northern Ireland
26 Oct 2012 4:06PM

Quote:Hi Cats,

It might be investigating further you upgrade options, you may only need to re-install your programs but your files will still be there. Not for sure, but worth checking.



yes, David..I suspect the data will still be there but it's all the fuss of having to reload the programs, find all the security keycodes etc...

I was toying with buying a tablet sometime later next year anyway, so Stuart's suggestion is probably my best option Smile
jeff
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
26 Oct 2012 4:51PM

Quote:well I ran the upgrade assistant...thge good news - I can run W8; the bad news - I would have to reinstall nearly all my programs....whilst that's not beyond me, I find it quite disappointing...my netbook doesn't have an external drive, so everything would have to be downloaded...that will take forever Sad

I really think that by choosing to upgrade rather than starting with a fresh installation, you're doing yourself no favours.
You're turning away an opportunity to get shot of goodness knows how much accumulated rubbish
It will be interesting to see what people have to say in a few days time, when they've tried their favoured method.

If finding licence numbers is an issue, there are keyfinders that will do the job for you.
I'm not sure that they work on all programmes but the one I've got installed finds the ones for the programmes that I've got installed.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.