Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Running Windows XP? Time to upgrade to Win8

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Jestertheclown
26 Oct 2012 - 1:44 PM

Thanks Chris, beat me to it.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Oct 2012 - 1:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
26 Oct 2012 - 1:49 PM

For a desktop PC or laptop I really can't see the point, but if you are going to do it don't do a upgrade and carry over all the crap that's built up over the years a clean install would be the best way to go.

My PC is only a few weeks old but I'm sticking with 7, as I can't see a single reason to change.

Last Modified By cambirder at 26 Oct 2012 - 1:50 PM
Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122261 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2012 - 2:35 PM

I agree with you Paul. Win 7 works beautifully on a desktop. I won't be changing anytime soon.

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72350 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
26 Oct 2012 - 3:02 PM

Fair enough with Win 7 users, but if your on XP, I would strongly suggest taking advantage of the discount.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104023 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2012 - 3:06 PM

what size ram is required to operate W8?..I have xp on my netbook but it doesn't have a large enough ram to cope wiuth W7 so can't see it working with W8

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72350 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
26 Oct 2012 - 3:09 PM

Minimum is 1GB, but I would recommend around 2GB

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53627 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2012 - 3:11 PM

Hi Cats, Running the upgrade assistant will show if you pc is able to run W8
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8
W8 is said to offer performance improvements over W7, its meant to be faster at booting and rendering screen items so maybe its not going to slow you machine down ? Don't know but am tempted to try this Sunday for the gadget factor alone. I'm on w7.

Last Modified By JackAllTog at 26 Oct 2012 - 3:12 PM
Jestertheclown
26 Oct 2012 - 3:18 PM

Thanks Stuart.
I was looking for that.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104023 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2012 - 3:21 PM

Quote: Minimum is 1GB, but I would recommend around 2GB

thks, Dave...If my memory serves correctly, W7 needed 2Gb (I only have 1Gb Sad).......might be worth a try Smile

Quote: Hi Cats, Running the upgrade assistant will show if you pc is able to run W8
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8
W8 is said to offer performance improvements over W7, its meant to be faster at booting and rendering screen items so maybe its not going to slow you machine down ? Don't know but am tempted to try this Sunday for the gadget factor alone. I'm on w7.

thanks, Stuart Smile

Last Modified By cats_123 at 26 Oct 2012 - 3:23 PM
davidburleson
26 Oct 2012 - 3:31 PM

Windows 7 Requirements:

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows7/products/system-requirements

Windows 8 Requirements:

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows-8/system-requirements

cats_123
26 Oct 2012 - 3:34 PM

well I ran the upgrade assistant...thge good news - I can run W8; the bad news - I would have to reinstall nearly all my programs....whilst that's not beyond me, I find it quite disappointing...my netbook doesn't have an external drive, so everything would have to be downloaded...that will take forever Sad

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53627 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2012 - 3:46 PM

Quote: Well I ran the upgrade assistant...thge good news - I can run W8; the bad news - I would have to reinstall nearly all my programs....whilst that's not beyond me, I find it quite disappointing...my netbook doesn't have an external drive, so everything would have to be downloaded...that will take forever Sad

:-( never mind, On a positive note, apart from increased security and speed the operating system actually does very little, its the apps that do the work - so as said above - if it aint broke don't fix it.
And next year maybe consider a new W8 netbook when the prices drop and the initial bugs are ironed out - or save all the money for lenses Smile instead.

davidburleson
26 Oct 2012 - 3:49 PM

Hi Cats,

It might be investigating further you upgrade options, you may only need to re-install your programs but your files will still be there. Not for sure, but worth checking.

cats_123
26 Oct 2012 - 4:06 PM

Quote: Hi Cats,

It might be investigating further you upgrade options, you may only need to re-install your programs but your files will still be there. Not for sure, but worth checking.

yes, David..I suspect the data will still be there but it's all the fuss of having to reload the programs, find all the security keycodes etc...

I was toying with buying a tablet sometime later next year anyway, so Stuart's suggestion is probably my best option Smile
jeff

Last Modified By cats_123 at 26 Oct 2012 - 4:06 PM
Jestertheclown
26 Oct 2012 - 4:51 PM

Quote: well I ran the upgrade assistant...thge good news - I can run W8; the bad news - I would have to reinstall nearly all my programs....whilst that's not beyond me, I find it quite disappointing...my netbook doesn't have an external drive, so everything would have to be downloaded...that will take forever Sad

I really think that by choosing to upgrade rather than starting with a fresh installation, you're doing yourself no favours.
You're turning away an opportunity to get shot of goodness knows how much accumulated rubbish
It will be interesting to see what people have to say in a few days time, when they've tried their favoured method.

If finding licence numbers is an issue, there are keyfinders that will do the job for you.
I'm not sure that they work on all programmes but the one I've got installed finds the ones for the programmes that I've got installed.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.