Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Running Windows XP? Time to upgrade to Win8

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

redsnappa
redsnappa  111897 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Oct 2012 - 6:48 PM

I've installing windows 8 and yes there is a learning curve it is no more than 20 minutes though. or so.
You have options when you download, I selected the clean install facility which also allowed me to create a windows 8 DVD via an .iso saved to one of my hard drives.

If you are using Windows XP (which is the most unsecure & hackable OS on plane) it makes sense to update asap if your hardware is up to it

It's a fallacy that it only works if you have a touch screen device, it works with a mouse without problems.

If you are one of those people that struggle to learn new things there are third party applications that will install a legacy start menu to windows 8.

Last Modified By redsnappa at 26 Oct 2012 - 6:55 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Oct 2012 - 6:48 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92971 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2012 - 7:04 PM

Quote: it works with a mouse without problems.

Almost essential for precision work such as editing.

User_Removed
26 Oct 2012 - 8:17 PM

A friend downloaded this afternoon and I was very impressed with the first 'run-through' of it... Very 'Tablet-like' in some respects (certainly in respect to my Blackberry Playbook). Very fast, smooth and intuitive. My hardware compatibility is perfect (despite the 5yrs of age!) and very few update to third-party software required! 90% of my photographic software is compatible so... I just need to get on with it!! (It's downloaded and waiting to go! Wink

Quote: which is the most unsecure & hackable OS on planet

( Just read this... ????? - TOTALLY disagree Smile )

Last Modified By User_Removed at 26 Oct 2012 - 8:19 PM
User_Removed
26 Oct 2012 - 9:00 PM

Quote: allowed me to create a windows 8 DVD via an .iso saved to one of my hard drives.

If I download it at the cheap price as an upgrade I wonder if I'll be able to install it onto my next PC instead of this one, (which I'm either going to build or buy soon). Maybe the product key is going to be tied to this hardware that I'm using now. Hmmmm

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103995 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
27 Oct 2012 - 9:18 AM

Quote: Maybe the product key is going to be tied to this hardware that I'm using now. Hmmmm

Don't think so...when I bought new about 2yrs ago, the keycodes worked fine Smile

Jestertheclown
27 Oct 2012 - 10:17 AM

Quote: allowed me to create a windows 8 DVD via an .iso saved to one of my hard drives.

I'd want to be able to do that with a view to re-installing at a later date, or when it goes wrong. (Delete as appropriate.)
Trouble is, I don't know how.

Rees
Rees  6 Wales
27 Oct 2012 - 10:30 AM

I am with Chris L I am using XP 64 Edition and will do so for as long as possible.
Drivers etc difficulty to find?

redsnappa
redsnappa  111897 forum posts United Kingdom
27 Oct 2012 - 12:00 PM

Quote: I am using XP 64 Edition and will do so for as long as possible. Drivers etc difficulty to find?

Not with windows 8, you don't even have dig out all your driver disks and install device drivers manually. Windows 8 will set up all your devices automatically unlike Win XP. Windows 8 (64bit version) even installed my 9 year old creative Audigy soundcard without any problems.

Last Modified By redsnappa at 27 Oct 2012 - 2:39 PM
steve_p
steve_p  81089 forum posts England
30 Oct 2012 - 8:04 PM

I tried to install 8 on my two yr old dell laptop,with windows 7 64 bit. The upgrade assistant said all would be fine.
However it won't install saying the download was faulty. I cannot find any way to redownload it. Microsoft want me to buy it again !
Anyone else come across this? I can't find anything on the MS support pages! Or have I wasted 25??

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014005 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
30 Oct 2012 - 8:48 PM

You should have got an email with details of your order on it. There is a link in that mail that allows you to redownload it, like this.

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 30 Oct 2012 - 8:49 PM
steve_p
steve_p  81089 forum posts England
30 Oct 2012 - 9:08 PM

Yes, Ive got that but it just takes me back to the install screen saying cannot continue?!

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014005 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
30 Oct 2012 - 9:33 PM

Try phoning MS tech support for Windows 8 installs:
0800 026 03 30
Monday - Friday
9:00am - 7:00pm

lobsterboy
30 Oct 2012 - 9:35 PM

Quote: If I download it at the cheap price as an upgrade I wonder if I'll be able to install it onto my next PC instead of this one,

You get a licence key in the email so I guess as long as you only install it once you should be fine.

User_Removed
31 Oct 2012 - 9:39 PM

I wonder if it expects to find an operating system already present though or if it's happy to install to a brand new hard drive, a one that it doesn't inspect first then format itself. Think I'd be daft to miss the upgrade price.

Jestertheclown
31 Oct 2012 - 9:57 PM

Quote: I wonder if it expects to find an operating system already present though or if it's happy to install to a brand new hard drive, a one that it doesn't inspect first then format itself. Think I'd be daft to miss the upgrade price.

I recently installed XP on a brand new hard drive and that did inspect and format it anyway. In fact, it was exactly the same process as installing on a drive with an OS on it except that the format didn't take so long.

I agree that you'd be daft to miss it at this price.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.