Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Running Windows XP? Time to upgrade to Win8

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53587 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 9:22 AM

I upgraded mine last night - i spent an hour or so first upgrading all the 5 year old Lenovo laptop hardware drives, and the windows update etc. and downloaded a few blue tooth drivers etc to the c drive in case needed.
After this the Win8 update took about 2 hours and 3 times had seperate counters saying various aspects were 0-100% - so be patient and let each stage do its thing.
All OK last night & today, looks great as a tablet. the Tech parts seem well hidden like command prompt, remote desktop etc.

Not too impressed that i need to login with my hotmail account, will need to see if this means anyone can login like this etc.
As said before closing apps seems awkward and alt-F4 is what i use at present.

Its different, but change happens.

As a consumer device its much better with the tiles telling me i have mail - my mum would find it easier to use as its much more "see and do" than remember to go here, launch that, use this ulr etc.

Last Modified By JackAllTog at 2 Nov 2012 - 9:22 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Nov 2012 - 9:22 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lemmy
lemmy  71837 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Nov 2012 - 5:45 PM

Quote: Maybe the product key is going to be tied to this hardware that I'm using now.

If it was an OEM install or disk, it will be. Otherwise, Microsoft are very liberal about it in my experience, provided it isn't OEM.

redsnappa
redsnappa  111914 forum posts United Kingdom
3 Nov 2012 - 8:48 PM

Quote: the Tech parts seem well hidden like command prompt

The hotkey Win X will allow you to quickly access the geekier parts of windows 8.

Last Modified By redsnappa at 3 Nov 2012 - 8:49 PM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
3 Nov 2012 - 9:21 PM

Quote: the Tech parts seem well hidden like command prompt, remote desktop etc.

I just bring the start menu up and type "command", then it appears & you can pin it if you want to.

Quote: Not too impressed that i need to login with my hotmail account, will need to see if this means anyone can login like this etc.

Start> type "users" and then select users under settings and you can switch to a local account.
The hotmail/ms account allows you to sync stuff & use skydrive though.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.