Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Ryan Air and Photographers - stressful experience

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014836 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
24 Sep 2013 - 2:11 PM

So we flew Ryan Air to portugal, about 90 it was... it wasn't my choice, but the trip organiser's.

Then it's 30 each way for the a hold luggage bag - add on 60 for that!

But you only get 15kg allowance - it's a LOT more if you dare go to 20Kg

Then your hand luggage has to be extremely precise... my camera bag, when empty, fits their 50by 40 by 20 cm limit... but add in your laptop and ipad.... I had to virtually stand on it to get it in their measurer... then getting it out was fun!

Checking in the bag, the micro tripod took the weight to 17.1 Kg - I had to "lose" 2Kg or pay and extra 20. Luckily, after dismantling the head, it did squeeze inside the camera bag. Something I had to do at the front of the queue, humiliated as the rest of the queue looked on.

And on the way back - pretty much the same - even having left loads of stuff at the villa, it was a pain.

Camera kit can be relatively big and heavy - so if you are travelling with the intention of taking a few shots, just bear in mind that flying Ryan Air is even more stressful than usual with your camera Wink

Easy Jetting it to my Austria workshop on Thursday - far more flexible!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Sep 2013 - 2:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96318 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
24 Sep 2013 - 2:17 PM

After adding on all the extra costs how does it compare with a different airline with an " all in " cost and no hassle at the checkin ?

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014836 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
24 Sep 2013 - 2:49 PM

I didn't have any choice of airline for this trip.... just make that clear Wink

But Jet 2 charges 37 for a 22kg bag each way... which would be 80 on Ryan Air

Now if your bag is "over weight", I think they charge 20/kilo

For a quick weekend break, just a few clothes, like a stag do or something, Ryan Air is fine... but if you're off taking photos, well, just be careful - you could be paying British Airways prices for a "treated like cattle" service Wink

Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
24 Sep 2013 - 3:43 PM

I think Ryan Air have even stated that they want to discourage luggage..........I seem to recall someone worked out that it was cheaper to courier your luggage than pay Ryan Air prices!

I'm sure if they could manage it they would fly without any passengers at all ................

conrad
conrad  1010877 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
24 Sep 2013 - 3:49 PM

Quote: Camera kit can be relatively big and heavy

Time to switch to Micro Four Thirds, Ade? Wink

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43954 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway26 Constructive Critique Points
24 Sep 2013 - 3:54 PM

I recently flew with BA Oslo/Leeds Bradford via Thiefrow.

23kg per person checked allowance - free
2 pieces of hand luggage per pers., max. 23kg total per pers. One piece not to exceed 56 x 45 x 25cm and one not to exceed 45 x 36 x 20
No hassle with such generous allowances, and even better, no irritating Irish idjet on the onboard tannoy system either telling you how brilliant he and his airline is!

Edit; AND...free food and drink (alcoholic) on both legs of the journey.Smile

Last Modified By saltireblue at 24 Sep 2013 - 4:10 PM
kodachrome
24 Sep 2013 - 4:01 PM

I know its easier said than done but if every one just boycotted Ryan Air, hopefully they will go out of business. They have already been voted the worst company/air line in Britain. Sadly its Mr and Mrs Chav with more money than sense going out to Benidorm that keeps Ryan Air going. snobish yes, but choose another air line.

Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
24 Sep 2013 - 4:08 PM

but as Ade suggested above if all you want is a "bus with wings" to get you from A to B (without any luggage!!) then it is cost effective option as long as you approach the journey with the right frame of mind - i.e. that of a sheep being transported to marketTongue

conrad
24 Sep 2013 - 4:09 PM

Well, I have clients who still prefer to send me Ryanair tickets when they send me somewhere, and if it's somewhere interesting I do still take photo gear with me, but I really don't mind it. I suppose I still assume that every trip is better than no trip (I'm one of those glass-half-full people, you know). I still like Ryanair. Do I enjoy trips with other airlines more? Yes. Would I want Ryanair to go out of business? No.

Quote: if every one just boycotted Ryan Air

Let's be realistic, that's never going to happen.

ade_mcfade
24 Sep 2013 - 4:23 PM

if you're claiming expenses for the flight, then fill the hold with bags Conrad Wink

if you're doing a work/fun trip like I was doing, with no client to claim expenses off, then it's a bit different... painful

you just feel like they are looking for reasons to charge you more... it's their culture, get more money in any way possible.

the 3 hour flight was a constant barage of sales from the flight crew

I pined for the march Etihad flight to Dubai we did - press the button, get a free G&T, choice of 100+ recent films, games station and USB for your iPads etc etc.

wasn't paying for that one though Wink

anyway - main point is that if you are travelling with camera kit, be EXTREMELY careful with Ryanair.... you could end up paying 100 extra if they put your bag in the hold... and then it'll get thrown around and kit will get damaged...

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023094 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
24 Sep 2013 - 4:40 PM

Not with the right bag or rather, case.

I put my camera in the hold on many trips without a problem. The camera becomes your hold luggage and your clothes become your hand luggage.

conrad
24 Sep 2013 - 4:44 PM

Do you use a Peli Case or something like that, Keith?

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023094 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
24 Sep 2013 - 4:49 PM

A Peli and one that came from the Flash Centre whose name I can't recall. You could stand on both of them and jump all night long and nothing gets damaged. The Peli was handier as it had wheels.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014851 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
24 Sep 2013 - 5:48 PM

The results of a recent survey show Ryan Air the worst of the 100 companies listed for customer service.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014851 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
24 Sep 2013 - 5:55 PM

I have free passes for life on Air Canada and all of their affiliates for my wife and I, but haven't flown since my last day of work almost 10 years ago, it's just too much of a hassle, and life is too short.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.