Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Ryanair - carry-on case

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    theorderingone
    1 Jun 2007 - 11:20 PM

Okey doke.

I'm off to Norway to shoot the inaugural Hove Festival at the end of the month and will be flying with that lovely Ryanair airline.

The problem I have is that I daren't put my camera in the hold, as knowing my luck, I'll never see it again.

Another issue I have is that normally at big festivals, I carry a toolbox/step which gives me an extra foot in height when I stand on it, which is invaluable on bigger stages. Also I've heard Ryanair are not the most forgiving when it comes to carry-on baggage. Ryanair's max size for carry-on is 55cm x 40cm x 20cm. The 20cm dimension is smaller than most cases deemed 'carry-on' friendly.

I wondered if:
    A - anyone has any experience of just how strict Ryanair are with carry-on baggage.

&

B - whether anyone knows of a decent (cheapish) case that is strong enough to stand on, that will meet these requirements.

I'll be taking a Nikon D200 with grip, Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8, Tokina 80-200mm f/2.8 and a Nikonn 300mm f/4 and a generic 40GB image tank as a minimum.

I've been looking at Peli cases, Storm cases, Seahorse cases and similar, but they are expensive and I'm not sure I need the level of protection they offer. So long as it's good to stand on, that's good enough for me.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last Modified By theorderingone at 1 Jun 2007 - 11:21 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    1 Jun 2007 - 11:20 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
    keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jun 2007 - 11:24 PM

I'll PM you with some names of deceptively strong cases when i'm in the studio tomorrow, Gary. Soft feel, fully protective but weirdly you can stand on them.

theorderingone
    1 Jun 2007 - 11:26 PM

I'd better re-enable my pm's then!

Cheers Mr Keith!

keithh
    keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jun 2007 - 11:27 PM

LOL...or drop me a line and I'll get back to you tomorrow morning

Sandgrouse
    1 Jun 2007 - 11:28 PM

Took a ruck sack that was slightly bigger than that had no problems, but think it depends on the person on desk and airport. Have been charged for excess baggage (non hand baggage) for been as little as 1kg over! Always on the return flight!

theorderingone
    1 Jun 2007 - 11:31 PM

Yes, a rucksack would work, but I'd hardly gain any height when stood on it. Wink Rucksacks are squishy, so I guess they must be more lenient with those anyway.

Pm's are enabled Keith, so please fire away when you get a mo tomorrow.

Cheers!

Last Modified By theorderingone at 1 Jun 2007 - 11:33 PM
    redhed17
    redhed17  8607 forum posts England
    2 Jun 2007 - 4:29 PM

I went with Ryanair a couple of weeks ago, with all my camera stuff in the rucksack with no problems. When we were coming back from Lithuania, there was a weighing machine for people to check their baggage. I checked my rucksack as the hand luggage allowance was apparently 10 kg's. To my surprise, my rucksack was bang on. Nobody checked in Lithuania, unless it was checked when it went through the x-ray machine, but I'm sure it was checked in Liverpool before we went, so I was lucky it was within(or even exactly on) the limit. So weigh your rucksack just to be on the safe side. Wink

theorderingone
    2 Jun 2007 - 6:24 PM

Crikey, best dust off the bathroom scales then.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.