Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Ryanair travel with a lowepro computrekker aw?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

catgirl73
catgirl73  6142 forum posts United Kingdom
16 Aug 2009 - 3:29 PM

Hi, am going to Spain shortly on a photography holiday and am hoping to take my lowepro computrekker aw which will probably be packed to the brim with lenses, camera and laptop. Was wondering if anyone had any experiences with travelling with Ryanair? The hold allowance is only 15kg and I have to fit my tripod in first then the necessary essentials.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Aug 2009 - 3:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

roxpix
roxpix  102236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2009 - 3:36 PM

My experience with various airlines is that providing your hand baggage is within the size/weight limits you’ll have no problems
edit, if intending to use the hold (which I'd caution against) I understand you can take as much as you like (and are prepared to pay for) the 15kg is the allowence covered by initial purchase not a maximum limit

Last Modified By roxpix at 16 Aug 2009 - 3:48 PM
User_Removed
16 Aug 2009 - 4:05 PM

Aparently, if you pur your camera on a strap and around your neck, it's not counted as hand baggage................................aparently?

roxpix
roxpix  102236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2009 - 4:14 PM

Heard the same & believe this used to be the case but a little dubious these days on that score since a laptop carried out of bag is still classed as one item of hand baggage & Ryan air are well known for adherence to their own guidelines
An SLR with lens is more likely to be viewed in this manner by this carrier

User_Removed
16 Aug 2009 - 4:19 PM

OK. I've taken note. Thanks.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
justin c
justin c  104534 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2009 - 7:37 PM

Travelling with Ryanair is fine as long as you carefully read their restrictions and comply with them, i.e. maximum baggage dimensions and weight. If you exceed the weight limit, it's very likely you will be charged accordingly, it's how they make their money to top-up the cheap fairs.
Measure you're loaded bag and pop it on the bathroom scales to avoid any suprises at check-in.

Paul65
Paul65  6258 forum posts England
16 Aug 2009 - 10:00 PM

I read once that sitting in row 1 stands the best chance of escape in a crash on any Ryan flight!

Enjoy your holiday.

justin c
16 Aug 2009 - 11:03 PM

Quote: I read once that sitting in row 1 stands the best chance of escape in a crash on any Ryan flight!

Strange comment!!!!!!!!!

RogBrown
RogBrown  73006 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2009 - 11:18 PM

Quote: I read once that sitting in row 1 stands the best chance of escape in a crash on any Ryan flight!

Enjoy your holiday.

Sit at the back. You never heard of a plane reversing into a mountain! Smile

cathal
cathal  10492 forum posts Ireland4 Constructive Critique Points
17 Aug 2009 - 10:38 AM

Based on personal experience, Ryanair would be my "airline of last resort". I'd use only when no other airline goes to the same destination, I can't get there by car or train, the ferry isn't running, and it's too far to swim.

Having watched them load, sorry throw, a load of Dell computers onto a 737 at Dublin airport one day, I wouldn't put a camera bag near their hold!

Ryanair will, at every single opportunity, try and extract more money from you, whilst providing the worst customer care experience of any single industry I have ever had the misfortune to experience.

Avoid!

irishman
irishman  101118 forum posts Ireland2 Constructive Critique Points
17 Aug 2009 - 11:43 AM

Quote: Having watched them load, sorry throw, a load of Dell computers onto a 737 at Dublin airport one day, I wouldn't put a camera bag near their hold

That would be the employess of Servisair, who have no connection to Ryanair.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104029 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
17 Aug 2009 - 12:59 PM

although they look very strict on their website, in practice, as long as you can carry it, you should be able to take it on board. Smile

Last Modified By cats_123 at 17 Aug 2009 - 1:00 PM
stolzy
stolzy  83753 forum posts7 Constructive Critique Points
17 Aug 2009 - 2:13 PM

Quote: Although they look very strict on their website, in practice, as long as you can carry it, you should be able to take it on board

Hmm, not my experience. They take any opportunity to gouge extra charges and they make a lot from excess baggage charges.

irishman
irishman  101118 forum posts Ireland2 Constructive Critique Points
17 Aug 2009 - 2:20 PM

Quote: Although they look very strict on their website, in practice, as long as you can carry it, you should be able to take it on board

The last time I travelled with them, they had someone at the boarding gate checking that all hand luggage was the correct size, anything that didn't fit was put into the hold and charged.

Now in saying that I flew with Ryanair for a total of six different flights within a short period and it only happened the once.

justin c
17 Aug 2009 - 3:08 PM

Quote: n practice, as long as you can carry it, you should be able to take it on board.

I've found the complete opposite and why take the chance and ruin the start of your holiday/trip, by getting lumbered with very expensive excess baggage charges.
I'd imagine that the reason most people fly with them is their cheap air fares, it kind of defeats the object, if you turn up with a bag way over the limit and then get stung for added costs.
They very often do check and do enforce their regulations. It's one of the ways they make their money. You don't realistically expect a 1pence airfare, do you. They wouldn't be in buisness long.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.