Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sad Story about a 'Mint' X-300s ( Film Camera)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • 1
    • »
    pentaxpete
    11 May 2013 - 3:24 PM

    I am helping out a camera Club friend who had been given a 'Mint' X-300 s from a bloke who had it as a 'retirement pr4esent' and evidently NEVER USED IT ! I have it at home - it has a Minolta bag, the original books, the Minolta Club ( Long CLOSED!) details, a Minolta flash Auto 220 X, BUT on taking off the lens cap the front lens surface was covered in what I took to be 'Finger-Print Grease' and the two batteries were corroded but luckily not into the base of camera .
    So I have cleaned up the lens with lens fluid and tissues but I think it is FUNGUS, then on putting in two new batteries it will NOT work -- no shutter action, no LED's light up -- what a SHAME !! Do you think the ELECTRONICS have failed because of NO USE since about 1990 ?? All the FOAM seals are good, no mirror corrosion but I cannot get the camera shutter to fire -- I saved the flash Capacitor by putting in some of MY Batteries and it worked after a long time to re-form the capacitor so flash works now . Do you think the lens is Fungus because the lens cap was on for so many years without giving the lens surface a chance to 'breath' ?

    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    11 May 2013 - 3:24 PM

    Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

    kodachrome
    11 May 2013 - 4:03 PM

    Fungus usually forms on the internal lens elements according to my local repair man. Its an expensive job to strip and clean the lens and will no doubt cost more than the lens is worth. Many old Minolta lenses and bodies can be found on E Bay for little money.
    If you need a qualified Minolta repair man, get in touch with 'Camera Workshop' 01908 378088 Milton Keynes. They serviced my old X-500 and XD-7 back to full working order.

    pentaxpete
    11 May 2013 - 4:18 PM

    That was quick ! Well - I put in THREE lots of batteries from my cameras and it still will NOT wind on OR the shutter release -- what I DID notice was that as I switched it to 'ON' and pressed the release button some LED's flashed briefly just the once -- to get them to 'flash' again I had to switch to 'Off' and then to 'On' again but camera will not fire up . I have had a look at the lens surface with a magnifier -- YES I can see 'Filaments' of FUNGUS on it ! I have made a note of that telephone number and will report back to my friend at Club -- many thanks !

    ikett
    ikett  3339 forum posts England
    11 May 2013 - 5:00 PM

    Hi just had a quick look round the web (not much info), seems the x-300s is a plastic bodied version of the x-300, it appears they were to highly rated, common fault here.

    In good condition the lomo folks quite like them

    cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    11 May 2013 - 5:54 PM

    When batteries become badly corroded the corrosion often feeds its way along wires & cables attached to the battery, Very small copper wiring like you get in cameras and other small electronic devices are particularly prone to this, In serious cases the corrosion that travels through the wires finds its way to circuit boards, Then fans out from there and basically destroys the board.

    That is a worst case scenario, Best case scenario is that it has just eaten away at the metal, Be that steel or copper wire.

    The best case scenario is an easy fix, Just find and follow the wires from the battery compartment to the point at which they are soldered to a board, Then with a very small soldering iron replace the wires, Its usually a case of job done at this point and normally you will have cut out any chance of further corrosion taking place.

    Where wires are partially damaged by corrosion a resistance is set up, So just replacing the batteries might have a few odd side effects such as flashing the LEDs, However the flow of juice from the batteries is reduced so much that there is not enough grunt to work the whole show.....!!! Sounds like the situation you describe......

    Whatever, No matter how good a thing might have been in 1990, Unless its a real collectors piece the chances are it is not worth the bother of repair, Unless you fancy a bash at it for the gamble it might pay of, The owner needs to made aware that, Its that or a choice between the recycle bin or the garbage bin....!

    pentaxpete
    11 May 2013 - 6:17 PM

    Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to help -- he should have got a PENTAX !! GrinGrinGrin

    • «
    • 1
    • »

    Add a Comment

    You must be a member to leave a comment

    Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.