Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sad times for Togs

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
mohikan22
mohikan22  102187 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2011 - 11:00 PM

Passed this on the local rag today
CLOSURE

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Sep 2011 - 11:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2011 - 11:15 PM

such a shame but like he said he's not giving up , once a photographer always a photographer.

User_Removed
22 Sep 2011 - 11:52 PM

Photographers never die. They just go out of focus.

I wish him success from home.

Andy_Cundell
23 Sep 2011 - 8:12 AM

Quote: Photographers never die. They just go out of focus.

I wish him success from home.

LMAO! I'm waiting to get 'in focus'!Grin

JJGEE
JJGEE  96288 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2011 - 8:14 AM

Quote: I'm waiting to get 'in focus'!Grin

In which case you are, perhaps, not yet born Wink

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2011 - 9:00 AM

Its a good time for most photographers, its just a bad time to make money from it because basic cameras have improved and lots of people are trying to compete for what market there is. Time to diversify.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315557 forum posts England
23 Sep 2011 - 2:06 PM

I don't feel sorry for anyone - it's a tough world. I don't feel sorry for my local fruit and veg shop that shut down - their produce was poor, and I grow so much more in my allotment. Same thing with photography - if users on here feel sorry for professional photographers I suggest you lay down your cameras and quit the hypocrisy. Everyone moans when local shops and post offices shut down, but then spend all their money at Tesco.

User_Removed
23 Sep 2011 - 2:21 PM

Quote: Everyone moans when local shops and post offices shut down, but then spend all their money at Tesco.

It's actually the other way round, Big Bri. They spend all their money in Tesco and then moan when local shops shut down.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315557 forum posts England
23 Sep 2011 - 2:29 PM

Typo, I meant to say "they spend all their money at Tesco" Smile

collywobles
23 Sep 2011 - 5:39 PM

Quote: Everyone moans when local shops and post offices shut down, but then spend all their money at Tesco.

This is so true Big Bri. I can never understand the protest movement about big Supermarkets and in particular that thrown at Tesco. If a majority of the public prefered local shopping then the Tesco's and the likes would not be so sucessful, the public only have themselves to blame.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64364 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
23 Sep 2011 - 7:32 PM

I'd like to see 500 people trying to park outside their small local shops.

BarrieNeilPhotography

They didn't have to. Nobody expected 500 car owners to service their local shops all at once. For Tesco and the like it is essential to their success. They work on very small margins and require vast numbers of people to be buying (which we do). In any event, the whole point of local shops is for local people to buy locally and funnily enough, they were really successful when people didn't have/didn't use cars Smile

Back to the subject of the post. It's a shame to lose a 'high street' prescence but don't feel terribly sorry for him per se. It is a fact that every other person seems to see themselves as a photographer these days but it could be a case that he just hasn't kept up with the times. There was (maybe still is) a wedding photographer in Llandudno where I started in business. He had a main street shop/studio and his advertising used to play on the fact that he and his father had been in business for 50 years and for his weddings, actually used to say to people "you shouldn't risk going with theses recently started photographers on such a special day". He only did the chocolate soldier group shots - no candids and even did the B&G in wine/brandy glass montages (sound of puking) and other such stuff that probably was popular when his father was a photographer. I'm sure there still is a market for this sort of work but it is very limiting.

Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis - Times change and we change with them if we are to survive in business Smile

Last Modified By BarrieNeilPhotography at 24 Sep 2011 - 6:22 AM
collywobles
24 Sep 2011 - 8:51 AM

Businesses who refuse to change have a short life.

spaceman
spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
24 Sep 2011 - 12:50 PM

F***in' hell. I hope you lot never offer your sevices to the samaritans.

BarrieNeilPhotography

Not sure what that's got to do with anything that's been said?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.