Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Salgado Exhibition

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    SlowSong
    SlowSong e2 Member 64433 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Apr 2013 - 3:04 PM

Just a post to recommend Salgado's exhibition, "Genesis", on at the Natural History Museum in London until September.
    I'm rarely overwhelmed by photo exhibitions, (although Adams's was brilliant), but Salgado's is just so overwhelmingly fantastic that it really does make you tingle. Every single image is a masterpiece of photography, all fantastically mono, and the most gorgeous prints I've ever seen.

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/whats-on/temporary-exhibitions/salgado-genesis/

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Apr 2013 - 3:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Techno
    Techno  61006 forum posts England8 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Apr 2013 - 4:05 PM

Wow!

Gaucho
    Gaucho e2 Member 122260 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Apr 2013 - 4:09 PM

I was reading an article by him the other day about how he bemoaned the day he had to turn digital and couldn't get the grain that he loved so much from negative film. He now uses software to recreate the prints as closely as possible to his old prints. I suspect he has a team of digital experts to do it for him (or his wife!). He has always been one of my favourites. I just hope the bring the show down our way and not just Paris. He has a book coming out as well hasn't he?

SteveCharles
    25 Apr 2013 - 4:15 PM

I must see this, I read the recent article in the BJP and thought the pictures were amazing in the magazine, I expect the prints are something else.

re. his process, he shoots digitally, uses DXO film to give a Tri-x look, and has black & white film negatives made from the final versions from which prints are made, and for archival purposes. (according to the interview).

SlowSong
    SlowSong e2 Member 64433 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Apr 2013 - 4:43 PM

Quote: He has a book coming out as well hasn't he?

Yes, there is an accompanying book. It's a hefty (in both senses of the word) 48 or thereabouts at the museum but you can get it cheaper youknowhere. I saw the book first as it was a present but the actual prints far exceed the quality of those in the book. But there is a lot more information on the subject matter. It's properly researched and explained.

Last Modified By SlowSong at 25 Apr 2013 - 4:44 PM
    Gaucho
    Gaucho e2 Member 122260 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Apr 2013 - 4:50 PM

I have a birthday coming up Wink

scottishphototours

Quite simply the World's best monochrome photographer in my opinion (yes, even better than Bob Carlos Clarke... and Adams).

Would love to go and see this, the video sent shivers through me...the images on the video were breathtaking!

SlowSong
    25 Apr 2013 - 5:09 PM

The images are so beautiful in reality, it's a moving experience.

Saradadevi
    1 May 2013 - 8:43 PM

There's a TED talk by him, released today. I found it very interesting, not only his fantastic photos, but his personal journey.
    The link is:
    http://www.ted.com/talks/sebastiao_salgado_the_silent_drama_of_photography.html

lemmy
    lemmy  71873 forum posts United Kingdom
    2 May 2013 - 6:21 PM

It's not often you see a photographer with a talent as big as his. The best photographer alive in my opinion and of equal stature to Cartier-Bresson.

thewilliam
    2 May 2013 - 6:56 PM

I'd rate Salgado above Cartier-Bresson.

SlowSong
    2 May 2013 - 7:11 PM

The effort the guy and everyone else has put in to this latest project is phenomenal. Salgado was my favourite when I first started photography 25 years ago when I saw the Workers exhibition. He's just got better and better. CB I think was very lucky in that he had access to some very important people and occasions which is a huge advantage, but I wouldn't say his street photography was better than anyone else's. (I'll get me coat Blush)

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.