Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Saltwick Bay (North Yorkshire) tide qquestion

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    BrianSS
    BrianSS e2 Member 7276 forum postsBrianSS vcard England35 Constructive Critique Points
    10 May 2013 - 1:27 PM

Had a trip to Saltwick Bay (just south of Whitby) recently. I went when it was low tide so as to photograph the wreck. I arrived 2 hours before low tide and the tide was well out and beyond Black Nab. I would like to re-visit when the tide is going out but to get there as the tide is going out just past the wreck.

So my question is . . . . . does anyone know how long after high tide will the tide be leaving the wreck on its way to Black nab? Grin

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 May 2013 - 1:27 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Graysta
    Graysta  91133 forum posts England
    10 May 2013 - 2:24 PM

Check the tide times for an idea but the tide can be fairly swift so be very carefull if your working on incoming tide.

BrianSS
    BrianSS e2 Member 7276 forum postsBrianSS vcard England35 Constructive Critique Points
    10 May 2013 - 2:49 PM

Thanks Graham, I know about the dangers of the incoming tide. If I get there 2 or 3 hours after high tide there is still many hours before it's back in. I thought a shot of water swirling around the wreck - on an outgoing tide - would make a nice shot.

ikett
    ikett  3329 forum posts England
    10 May 2013 - 2:51 PM

Not sure but this may help.

BrianSS
    10 May 2013 - 2:57 PM

Many thanks Ian, I do have a copy of the local tide times booklet. Grin

pulsar69
    pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    10 May 2013 - 6:50 PM

From experience of just a few weeks back the tide was lowest at 11am , i did a shoot at 12 and by 1 the water had hit the wreck and cut that area off , remember if your going to get water swirling round the wreck you are also going to risk being cut off so you need to get back out sharpish , i would say around 2 hours after low tide if low tide is round the 1.5m mark as it was in April when i did it .....

BrianSS
    10 May 2013 - 7:07 PM

Quote: remember if your going to get water swirling round the wreck you are also going to risk being cut off

But not if the tide is going out, I certainly wouldn't chance it if the tide was coming in!

This is what I put in my original post.

Quote: I would like to re-visit when the tide is going out but to get there as the tide is going out just past the wreck.

pulsar69
    pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    10 May 2013 - 7:30 PM

In which case its simple get there about an hour after high tide ( make sure its a decent height tide ) and stay at the top you can see the tide going out and time your walk down quite easily from the caravan park ...

LesF
    LesF  7175 forum posts8 Constructive Critique Points
    11 May 2013 - 7:08 AM

The central part of the bay is lower than where the wreck is situated, making the tide go out at the wreck before the central part, so you may have an issue of getting across, but people have done it by climbing scrabbling over the rocks below the cliffs.

Good luck.

BrianSS
    11 May 2013 - 9:04 AM

Thanks LesF - that's interesting and just the kind of information I was hoping for! Grin

Even if I get there when the rocks around the wreck are still wet.

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73818 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    12 May 2013 - 12:14 AM

Having been one who has climbed over the rocks to get the water round the wreck, please for your own safety make sure your not alone. I wouldn't do it again, the shale is lethal.

BrianSS
    12 May 2013 - 4:03 PM

Thanks for that Nick. I've been to Saltwick several times but only once on my own and that was when the tide was way out.

On a slightly similar note. I was at Aysgarth Falls in Wensleydale a few years ago with 2 friends. As we arrived at the Lower falls the river was probably a good 15 yards from the bank, beyond the flat rock. I was setting up my tripod on the flat rock and another friend was doing the same a few yards downstream also on flat rock the 3rd friend was still back on the bank and all of a sudden e shouted me. I looked round and the river was thundering over the waterfall - it wasn't when we arrived. I started to collect my tripod and within seconds the river was over my trainers and within a few more seconds it was over my ankles. At that point I did wonder if I might loose my tripod & camera! I was now making my way to the bank and in that short distance the river was halfway up to my knees - I was now a tad frightened!!! I got to the bank safely with the water approaching my knees and my heart was pounding. A flash flood . . . . . I have never seen a river rise as fast as that in my life! When we arrived at the Lower falls we noticed a helicopter hovering overhead and wondered why it was there but as the two of us reached the bank safely it flew off. Afterwards we did wonder if the pilot knew there was a flash flood on its way down river and when they saw us decided to stay until we were safe. We will never know.

phil99
    phil99 e2 Member 744 forum postsphil99 vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    12 May 2013 - 7:28 PM

Be certain that the tide is going out. The only way to get to the wreck is to scramble for roughly a quarter of a mile over very slippery large boulders and deep pools of water. For safety sake do not risk this alone. Another danger is falling rocks which are constantly slipping down above theses boulders . I was there a fortnight ago when low tide corresponded with the sunrise about 5..00 a.m .and you could see rocks falling . Please take great care . I personally wait until it's possible to walk reasonably safely . The decision on your safety is of course up to you.Good luck I have seen some great images with the sea swirling round the wreck ....Phil

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.