Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Same sex marriages?

Britman 8 1.7k England
30 Aug 2013 5:48PM
Please don't take this the wrong way, I genuinely would like to know you're thought or if you are a wedding photographer how you work it. BTW I have never attended a same sex marriage, hence the questions.

In the regular male/female wedding, the bride is pretty much the centre of attention, it's her big day, you spend a lot more time making pictures of her, the dress the bridesmaids...
But surely this isn't the case with same sex marriages? Do you try to keep it as equal as possible, making about the same number of pictures of each of the couple on their big day?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KevSB 10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
30 Aug 2013 5:54PM
I remembered and earlier forum post that will possibly answer your question as well as any new ones anyone wants to add
http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/gay-wedding-photography-91178

Ignore all the posts from those having issues but in amongst them is good advice
30 Aug 2013 5:54PM
well one of them is always the bear the other is the cub...lol
robthecamman 3 1.4k United Kingdom
30 Aug 2013 5:56PM
go with the pretty one Smile
indemnity 6 331
30 Aug 2013 6:04PM
Keep the one who's paying the bill happy. Wink
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
30 Aug 2013 6:08PM

Quote:Keep the one who's paying the bill happy. Wink

+1
Especially if it is the parent of one of the couple.
thewilliam 6 4.8k
30 Aug 2013 6:10PM
In many cases, there are two "brides" both dressed in white or two "grooms" both in tail suits.

I'd suggest that it's best to treat them equally at the shooting stage and let them choose which shots go into the album. They're still people, so skilled photographers shouldn't have any problems.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
30 Aug 2013 6:32PM

Quote:In the regular male/female wedding, the bride is pretty much the centre of attention, it's her big day, you spend a lot more time making pictures of her, the dress the bridesmaids...

Look at it this way: you spend more time with the bride not because she is the bride, but because her outfit is (usually) more elaborate and more expensive than the groom's and she has larger retinue than the groom. I am sure if there is a difference between the partners in a same sex wedding you would make the same judgement.
Graysta 9 1.1k England
30 Aug 2013 7:01PM
They are usually a good laugh and everyone join's in the day.
They pay and I turn up no problem.
Best line from one was the registrar who said " X would you like to place your ring on Y's finger"
with a straight face.
As the whole place erupted in laughter and set the mood for the day.
Priceless
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
30 Aug 2013 8:09PM
Treat them equally. Don't see the problem. They're just people at a party. Smile
cantona43 9 915 4 England
30 Aug 2013 9:26PM
i was asked by a family friend to be photographer at a gay wedding I was nervous but enjoyed the occasion and actually once there forgot all about the couple being same sex, to me it is just the same as any wedding.
redsnappa 12 2.0k United Kingdom
31 Aug 2013 8:25AM
You cannot assume the equivalent of the MF roles exist in their relationship.

The best thing you can do is talking to the couple who are to be married, tell them it's your first same sex wedding, they will understand, find out hat they'll be wearing, tell them your usual approached to a mf wedding and ask if they want things to be photographed differently.

They will almost certainly appreciate it more if you communicate with them first than if you just turned up on the day and attempted to photograph the ceremony in your normal way.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.