Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Same sex marriages?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Britman
    Britman  81669 forum posts England
    30 Aug 2013 - 5:48 PM

Please don't take this the wrong way, I genuinely would like to know you're thought or if you are a wedding photographer how you work it. BTW I have never attended a same sex marriage, hence the questions.

In the regular male/female wedding, the bride is pretty much the centre of attention, it's her big day, you spend a lot more time making pictures of her, the dress the bridesmaids...
    But surely this isn't the case with same sex marriages? Do you try to keep it as equal as possible, making about the same number of pictures of each of the couple on their big day?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    30 Aug 2013 - 5:48 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KevSB
    KevSB  101410 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Aug 2013 - 5:54 PM

I remembered and earlier forum post that will possibly answer your question as well as any new ones anyone wants to add
    http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/gay-wedding-photography-91178

Ignore all the posts from those having issues but in amongst them is good advice

Last Modified By KevSB at 30 Aug 2013 - 5:56 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    GarethRobinson
    GarethRobinson e2 Member 8998 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Aug 2013 - 5:54 PM

well one of them is always the bear the other is the cub...lol

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 30 Aug 2013 - 5:57 PM
    robthecamman
    30 Aug 2013 - 5:56 PM

go with the pretty one Smile

indemnity
    indemnity  6331 forum posts
    30 Aug 2013 - 6:04 PM

Keep the one who's paying the bill happy. Wink

mikehit
    mikehit  56692 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Aug 2013 - 6:08 PM

Quote: Keep the one who's paying the bill happy. Wink

+1
    Especially if it is the parent of one of the couple.

thewilliam
    30 Aug 2013 - 6:10 PM

In many cases, there are two "brides" both dressed in white or two "grooms" both in tail suits.

I'd suggest that it's best to treat them equally at the shooting stage and let them choose which shots go into the album. They're still people, so skilled photographers shouldn't have any problems.

mikehit
    mikehit  56692 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Aug 2013 - 6:32 PM

Quote: In the regular male/female wedding, the bride is pretty much the centre of attention, it's her big day, you spend a lot more time making pictures of her, the dress the bridesmaids...

Look at it this way: you spend more time with the bride not because she is the bride, but because her outfit is (usually) more elaborate and more expensive than the groom's and she has larger retinue than the groom. I am sure if there is a difference between the partners in a same sex wedding you would make the same judgement.

Graysta
    Graysta  91135 forum posts England
    30 Aug 2013 - 7:01 PM

They are usually a good laugh and everyone join's in the day.
    They pay and I turn up no problem.
    Best line from one was the registrar who said " X would you like to place your ring on Y's finger"
    with a straight face.
    As the whole place erupted in laughter and set the mood for the day.
    Priceless

Last Modified By Graysta at 30 Aug 2013 - 7:01 PM
    SlowSong
    SlowSong e2 Member 64544 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Aug 2013 - 8:09 PM

Treat them equally. Don't see the problem. They're just people at a party. Smile

cantona43
    cantona43 e2 Member 9885 forum postscantona43 vcard England4 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Aug 2013 - 9:26 PM

i was asked by a family friend to be photographer at a gay wedding I was nervous but enjoyed the occasion and actually once there forgot all about the couple being same sex, to me it is just the same as any wedding.

redsnappa
    redsnappa  121923 forum posts United Kingdom
    31 Aug 2013 - 8:25 AM

You cannot assume the equivalent of the MF roles exist in their relationship.

The best thing you can do is talking to the couple who are to be married, tell them it's your first same sex wedding, they will understand, find out hat they'll be wearing, tell them your usual approached to a mf wedding and ask if they want things to be photographed differently.

They will almost certainly appreciate it more if you communicate with them first than if you just turned up on the day and attempted to photograph the ceremony in your normal way.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.