Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

SAMYANG F6.3 500mm Mirror Lens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Pauldaviddrabble

I recently spotted the Ephotozine news about Samyang UK Importer, coincidentally I had just bought a Samyang IR studio flash trigger for 9.99 inc P&P new via eBay from China and was very pleasantly surprised with the build quality.That lead me to spotting the f6.3 500mm Samyang mirror lenses and the price seems astonishingly low. I have had a look on line and the info that's there gives mixed reports so here is the questions
    Has anyone out there had had their hands on or own a SAMYANG F6.3 500mm Mirror Lens?
    Do you have much experience of Mirror Len's and how does the SAMYANG compare for the money?
    What do you think about it?
    I'm also wondering how do you think the 500mm 6.3 Mirror might compare against the 200mm end of a Nikon 80-200Mm f2.8d ED AF Zoom-Nikkor Lens with a cheap Kenro 1.5x telecon attached?

That's last one probably a little like trying to compare apples and oranges, both are fruit but not the same thing at all Grin

Finally yes I know the Samyang is Manual Focus does anyone have a similar priced better quality AF or MF Lens they would suggest looking at?

Cheers

Paul...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Feb 2013 - 11:38 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318432 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Feb 2013 - 12:04 PM

Two things that many don't like about mirrors. One - fixed aperture. You cant stop down if the light's good and shoot with greater depth of field. Two - the doughnut shaped out of focus highlights. I actually like those but I know people who don't.
    Mirror lenses tend not to be as good optically as they use a mirror to shape the light path and not additional glass elements. I've used a variety over the years (not the Samyang so can't speak about that one) and the best is the old Tamron 500mm. I still have one and use it when I need a long lens.

Pauldaviddrabble

Thanks Pete, So that adds another question anyone know how the Tamron 500mm and Samyang 500mm compare?

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318432 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Feb 2013 - 12:21 PM

Sounds like that's an epz test for the future! Wink

Pauldaviddrabble

Thanks to Keith who pointed me at a flickr sight about the Samyang worth a look

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.