Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Samyang Lenses - Who has one, and how would you rate them?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    joshwa
    joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 4602 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
    22 May 2012 - 11:14 PM

Hi,

Just wondering who has a Samyang lens, and how you would rate it?
    Also if you have some photos you'd like to share, please do so!

Cheers,

Josh

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 May 2012 - 11:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GarethRobinson
    GarethRobinson e2 Member 8991 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    23 May 2012 - 12:08 AM

a quick search on the flick* will be just what you need, loads of samples etc there.

TimMunsey
    TimMunsey e2 Member 386 forum postsTimMunsey vcard United Kingdom
    23 May 2012 - 8:24 AM

I have a samyang 8mm fisheye, it's solidly built, cheap and great fun. So build wise I rate highly, sharpness middle is good, loses it at the edges. Would I buy it again, Yes!
    Samples
    http://www.wildphotolife.co.uk/Cityscapes%20and%20Man%20made/images/Arcade%20fus... http://www.wildphotolife.co.uk/Cityscapes%20and%20Man%20made/images/Corn%20Excha... http://www.wildphotolife.co.uk/Latest%20shots/images/Armouries%20Docks.jpg
    Tim

cattyal
    cattyal e2 Member 96056 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    23 May 2012 - 9:46 AM

I’ve had my Samyang 8mm Fisheye lens, Sony fit, for a couple of years now and it was an excellent investment.

It’s a nice, not too big lens, everything that moves does so with conviction and clicks nicely into place.

The camera needs to be set to manual – the lens is purely mechanical so aperture setting is done via the aperture ring and it doesn’t take long to get to grips with that – a bit of trial and error and you can very quickly get a feel for what aperture is required for different situations.

I leave the focussing ring on infinity – I did play with focussing on different areas within the image but quite frankly I couldn’t see any difference so now I plonk the lens on the camera, set it to manual and fire away.

There is a bit of flare which is not surprising and not a problem. Sometimes it enhances the images, otherwise not too difficult to get rid of.

The greatest fun with this lens is the distortion – bend those horizons – get the whole building in and watch it distort like crazy. Of course get your position right with landscapes and you can keep bendy horizons to a minimum but the distortion is half the fun for me.

Was it worth buying? - yep it’s worth every inexpensive pennySmile

Gaucho
    Gaucho e2 Member 122260 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    23 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

Those pics are impressive Tim. I think Samyang are getting a good reputation, certainly here in France.

photofrenzy
    23 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

Tim love the contrast on those images thay look impressive Wink

cattyal
    cattyal e2 Member 96056 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    23 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

A couple from my portfolio - I must have considerably more at home...

31743-1281640121.jpg

31743-1282682992.jpg

kaybee
    kaybee  103823 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
    23 May 2012 - 12:47 PM

I bought a 7.5mm fisheye micro 4/3rds one for going to Krakow 10 days ago.

Having read a few reviews it comes out better than the Panasonic one at nearly half the price.
    It is a good, solid lens with metal lens mounts.
    Distortion is not nearly as much as I expected and the edges are also sharper than I expected.
    Chromatic aboration is beautifully controlled and although I have not had a chance to go through
    all the shots I have taken in the last 10 days the fringing has not been apparent at all.

As Alison has said, focus ggenerally can be left on or near infinity unless you want to go in close -
    and you can go in very close indeed (see my first link)

Overall I have found it to be a cracking wee lens and well worth the money.

No1
    No 2
    No3

Scutter
    Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    23 May 2012 - 5:04 PM

I have just bought one (8mm for Nikon) and so I am just getting to grips with it. Concur with all the above; well built and on my D300 it is auto aperture. Manual focus is less critical due to the DoF. You just have to be careful you don't bump into the subject as its closest focus is 30 cm and if you are moving to towards the subject with your eye to the view finder you can as kaybee says get eyeball to eyeball!Wink

Haven't really had time to play yet...........1--dsc5260.jpg

NeilS
    NeilS e2 Member 7873 forum postsNeilS vcard United Kingdom
    23 May 2012 - 5:19 PM

A fun lens to use

corner-shop.jpg

1-a-gt-yarmouth-institution.jpg

photofrenzy
    23 May 2012 - 5:33 PM

I like the 35mm f1.4 . Are these samyang lenses for four thirds format and will the 35mm f1.4 be good for full frame cameras anyone know ??? Wink

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.