Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

sand on lens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    CDSINUK
    CDSINUK  2223 forum posts England
    7 Oct 2012 - 2:38 PM

i have tried to clean my sensor mirror and lens as i have some marks on my images, after cleaning they are still there, after holding my lens up to my eye i can see what appears to be tiny sand grains and a tiny hair on the internal element of the lens but i cant seem to get rid of them using a blast of air etc,
    these contaminating items are internal, i have been careful with lens caps etc but obviously not careful enough, how exspensive is it to have a lense professionaly cleaned ? its a sony alpha DT 18-55 Sam kit lens, is it worth it?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Oct 2012 - 2:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

colin beeley
    colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Oct 2012 - 3:29 PM

cheaper to by a new one :-(

CDSINUK
    7 Oct 2012 - 3:33 PM

thank you colin, thats all i needed to know, i figured as much, Smile

franken
    franken e2 Member 113054 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Oct 2012 - 6:44 PM

Are you sure its not on the sensor as specks of dust/sand etc inside the elements don't normally effect images. I've got a few specks inside my Sigma 70-300 APO and they've been there for years without any problems to images. I did contact Sigma at the time and they told me this.

Do they show using a different lens?

Ken

ps, have a look at this.

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/lens_condition.html

Last Modified By franken at 7 Oct 2012 - 6:47 PM
    CDSINUK
    7 Oct 2012 - 7:31 PM

actually, on further inspection i have taken a few photos and the grians dont sem to affect the picture, but there are dark smudges ? i have since discovered the hair is somehow stuck in the view finder? but inside the camera, again cant remove them but dont affect the picture, and you are right the sand grains of which there are two dont seem to come out on the photo, i have cleaned the sensor but smudges and what appear to be water splashes , tiny ones remain, i will have to get a proper cleaning kit and try again,

RogBrown
    RogBrown  72997 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Oct 2012 - 8:02 PM

If there are flecks, hairs etc on the inside of your lens you will NOT see them in your pics.

User_Removed
    7 Oct 2012 - 8:07 PM

...and no matter how careful you are, you can't avoid getting dirt inside your lenses. The changes in internal air volume as you zoom and focus mean that air is being sucked in and blown out all the time - carrying all manner of atmospheric debris with it. As RogBrown says, unless it gets really bad, it will not have much effect on your image quality.

Leif
    Leif  9722 forum posts
    7 Oct 2012 - 8:14 PM

Having had some lenses cleaned, colin beeley is right.

Quote: If there are flecks, hairs etc on the inside of your lens you will NOT see them in your pics.

It depends where they are. You can have a fairly large piece of dirt on the front element, and it won't be obvious in the image, though it will lower contrast below certain apertures (depends on where the dirt is). Dirt on the rear element may be more apparent. But otherwise, what LeftForum said.

CDSINUK
    7 Oct 2012 - 8:14 PM

thanks guys for all the comments, its not as bad as i first thought, thanks again Smile

RogBrown
    RogBrown  72997 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Oct 2012 - 9:16 AM

Just to confirm, see here.

newfocus
    newfocus  8644 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Oct 2012 - 9:56 AM

Interesting link. I guess as you stop down, it'll look worse but still - it's amazing just how little difference all that stuff made.

colin beeley
    colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Oct 2012 - 11:48 AM

great link rogbrown Wink but you try & sell a lens with a mark on it !

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.