Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sandisk Extreme Pro - Problem Reading Files

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    csurry
    csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Jul 2012 - 12:46 PM

Does anyone have Sandisk Extreme Pro CF cards?

If so which card reader do you use?

I recently bought a couple of 16Gb Extreme Pro cards from Amazon. The camera is writing to the card OK but I can not get the UDMA card reader that I have to "stay connected" to a PC running either Mac OS or Windows 7.

I can temporarily browse the directory on either PC or Mac, but as soon as I try to copy the files off the card the reader disconnects itself and then reconnects. Tried to copy direct from the camera, which worked with a smaller 8gb and slower card, but does not seem to be working with these 16gb ExPro cards.

I have found a workaround by copying the files to the other card type within the camera, but this is not really practical in the long term. Wondering if I need a newer UDMA card reader but interested if anyone else has had similar problems.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Jul 2012 - 12:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    8 Jul 2012 - 12:59 PM

I reckon that your card reader can't process the data from the fast cards whilst maintaining connection with a computer.

The card reader in your camera clearly has no problem with the cards, I doubt that they are at fault in any way.

Don't you have a built-in card reader that you can try?

csurry
    8 Jul 2012 - 1:14 PM

Thanks Chris, my suspicion is the card reader, which is why I was asking which card reader people are using.

I have tried both card readers that I have and neither work.

I am considering buying the Lexar UDMA reader for USB3.0, but I don't have a USB3.0 connector in any PC so would not get full benefit of the speed uplift in the card. Which is not a great issue as at some point I need to upgrade my Mac Book and the newer ones have USB3.0.

Just wondering if someone has had same issue and whether the solution was to upgrade the reader. Nothing with the card says you need a specific reader, just one that reads UDMA. The two I have are the previous model UDMA reader from Lexar.

User_Removed
    8 Jul 2012 - 1:50 PM

I use Sandisk Extreme 16Gb 60Mb/s UDMA cards and read them with a Firewire-connected Lexar CompactFlash Reader which I've had for years Cheryl... Never missed a beat.

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Jul 2012 - 1:55 PM

Extreme Pro, Mike, not Extreme......I blame it on his old age...Smile

Graysta
    Graysta  91134 forum posts England
    8 Jul 2012 - 4:53 PM

I would still bet on the Lexar reader it's about the best on the market in my opinion

csurry
    8 Jul 2012 - 7:31 PM

Yeah I think the issue is related to the newer, faster UDMA cards. Never had a problem with the 60mbs ones and the old Lexar reader.

However, now you mention it I did have a firewire version. Might have to do some hunting around the office and spare room.

Thanks guys. Bit of an annoyance, but sure there is an easier solution than copying on to the other card type, just probably means spending more money Sad

Last Modified By csurry at 8 Jul 2012 - 7:32 PM
    csurry
    13 Jul 2012 - 7:43 PM

As an update and in case anyone else has the same problem - the issue is fixed by using the latest version (USB 3.0) of the Lexar UDMA card reader.

Thanks
    Cheryl

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.