Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Saved by Photoshop

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014778 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
7 Mar 2010 - 12:42 PM

Anyone care to share their photoshop magic that they've used (or seen) to transform a very average shot into something more eye catching.

One that used to use a lot was an action called

"Velvia"

It basically boosted the colours that Velvia film made more prominent and was ideal for those flat, dull day landscapes.

Another was a pre-photoshop step.

If you've got one of those dull day shots where everything's pretty flat, oyu could up the colour temperature in your RAW editor and get everything looking lovely and warm.

A final one for now is the "dark and moody" look for your landscapes. If you have a shot that's not quite there as a normal landscape, make it really dark by creating a duplicate layer of the main shot, then convert the Blending mode to "Multiply"

This gives you a truly dark, broody look to the shot - you can vary the effect with the "opacity" slider - around 10-20% is normal but moody, 20-50% is Uber-Moody, any more... well you're a vampire who hates light Wink

Any more tips on rescuing those average shots, fire away and help your fellow EPZ'ers

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Mar 2010 - 12:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mlewis
mlewis  91476 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Mar 2010 - 1:25 PM

One thing I like trying is adding a B&W adjustment layer and then changing the blending mode to Soft Light or Overlay.

Alan_Warriner

If you've got Nik Color Efex then the Sunshine filter is quite pleasing.

In fact it should be made illegal Smile

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014778 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
9 Mar 2010 - 6:30 PM

Another way of lifting those slightly dead landscapes is to introduce a very steep "curve" in the RAW editor before craeting the TIFF - this give a shot a lot more punch and potential.

It can also give you those moody skies we love on here

ade_mcfade
17 Mar 2010 - 1:37 PM

OK - no one seems to be up for sharing their little secrets Sad

Well here's anohter one then..

This shot of an anti nazi campaigner

Look at V2 - that's pretty much the original with the top chopped off. The lens was at F1.4, so he pings out of the shot to some extent, but it's pretty much an editoral shot.

With V1, I re-cropped to follow the rule of 1/3's, keeping space to the left as his body is facing that way slightly.

then I dragged a photo of some concrete as a layer on top of the shot...

then I duplicated the shot, and put the duplicate on top of the concrete (just so the photo is on top of the concrete... )

then I went through various layer blending modes to find one that gave the right amount of texture....

after that, I decided I didn't want him covered in texture, so put a mask on the concrete and painted black where he was - this got rid of the texture.

the result is a grittier, more styleised shot - and to do the above took about 4 minutes, maybe 5.

share away people !!!!!

montechoro
montechoro  112340 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
17 Mar 2010 - 1:40 PM

Great thread ade - lots of good tips already to put into practice.

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72345 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
17 Mar 2010 - 1:41 PM

My Haunted Mansion shot in my portfolio. Flick through the versions and you will see the heavy photoshop work. Just read what i Have done in my description.

Last Modified By davidburleson at 17 Mar 2010 - 1:42 PM
Fishnet
Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
17 Mar 2010 - 2:39 PM

David, I LOVE that Haunted House one, and if you move your cursor over version 2 really quickly it looks like lightning flashing in the storm Grin

Ade, I have learnt from experience that 99% of the members on here do not want to tell you their processing techniques, it's worse than getting blood out of a stone.

ade_mcfade
17 Mar 2010 - 3:37 PM

Quote: Ade, I have learnt from experience that 99% of the members on here do not want to tell you their processing techniques, it's worse than getting blood out of a stone.

You're probably right - it is really sad though as so many of the shots on here are "very processed" so there must be lots of tips that could be shared?

You'd not think it was for commercial reasons?

Maybe people are frightened of revealing just how much work their original images need to become the masterpieces we see on here? Could be very embarassing for them?

Fishnet
17 Mar 2010 - 4:29 PM

Or maybe people don't want to say in case you end up producing better work..who knows?

Yes it is sad that nobody shares, I can understand not saying in the photo description, but when someone asks how that effect was achieved and they still won't say, even in a PM, it's rather disheartening.

In my case, I don't actually know enough about PS to be able to do much and many times I just fiddle around and come up with something I like but have no idea how I got there. I should write it all down really.

Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
17 Mar 2010 - 5:42 PM

Quote:
In my case, I don't actually know enough about PS to be able to do much and many times I just fiddle around and come up with something I like but have no idea how I got there. I should write it all down really.

Ditto Smile

psiman
psiman  10551 forum posts Wales
17 Mar 2010 - 5:53 PM

The most useful technique I've been introduced to recently is selective adjustments to parts of an image. Use a selection tool (Magic Wand, lasso, rectangular selection or whatever works best) to make a selection around the part of the image you want to adjust e.g. the sky. Then create an adjustment layer such a Levels, Curves, Brightness/Contrast (in CS3 and above) etc. and make the changes you want. Now the clever bit (well I thought so anyway), select the layer mask which will have been automatically created as you had already made a selection and then apply the Gaussian Blur filter with a fairly high setting (e.g. 10 to 50 depending upon the image or selection) to smooth the edges of the selection. This has now become a key part of my workflow and I tend to use this for multiple parts of an image to control the exposure, contrast, colour etc.

Simon

JJGEE
JJGEE  96284 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
17 Mar 2010 - 5:59 PM

Quote: I tend to use this for multiple parts of an image to control the exposure, contrast, colour etc.

Presumably then, you end up with an image that is not a true reflection of the scene when captured ?

Fishnet
17 Mar 2010 - 8:56 PM

I suppose that depends on how the camera captured it.

Does a camera ever capture a true reflection of the scene anyway?

ade_mcfade
17 Mar 2010 - 9:31 PM

Quote: Presumably then, you end up with an image that is not a true reflection of the scene when captured ?

HANG HIM!!!!!!!

If you think even 10% of the "good" shots on here are a true reflection of what was really there when captured, you're sadly deluded!

I'm sure most proficient photoshop users employ masks and layers to selectively change things.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.