Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Saving JPEGs Issue?

IanD 11 148 United Kingdom
9 Apr 2011 12:55PM
Hi folks,

I wonder if someone can help me with an issue i'm having.

I'm making my adjustments to jpegs in Photoshop Elements and saving as I normally would but for some reason, every other one seems to save as a blank white icon on my desktop, whereas normally they would all save as a jpeg thumbnail.

I cannot see any reason for this but it's annoying as I want them all as thumbnails so I can preview as needed.

Any thoughts please

Kind regards

ian

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Canon2002 3 1
9 Apr 2011 3:48PM
The best way to edit .jpeg files is to first convert them into .tiff files. You can do this in Photoshop Elements easily (save as or batch convert). After editing, you can re-convert them back into .jpeg format again (if you must). jpeg is a very 'lossy' file format, so avoid this for editing.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
9 Apr 2011 4:09PM
Canon2002's reply does not solve your immediate problem but it is worth expanding upon.

Every time you edit a Jpeg and then save it, you reduce it's quality. It does not take many edits and saves before you have possibly only about 10% of the quality you started with. If there is some particular reason why you must work with Jpegs, then copy them and do all your experimental experimenting on a copy. Once you have decided what you want to do, edit-wise, go to your original and do all the adjustments in a one-off edit and then save your final version. If you are only needing images for viewing on a computer screen or making relatively small prints from, you should get away with that OK.

Sorry I can't suggest what is causing your thumbnail problem.
9 Apr 2011 4:37PM
Your not saving as jpeg 2000 by mistake? does the file have the correct .jog extension on the name, if you rename it's sometimes possible to put in the name after the extension, try renaming the file A.jpg and see if it works then.
Wayne
franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
9 Apr 2011 5:03PM
When I shoot with Jpegs (mostly when using a compact) I batch process all of them into psd files. You can make as many changes as you like with these files without any loss of quality. You can change them into jpegs when you are happy with them. I always save the original psd files though.

As mentioned above, don't save original jpegs over and over as each time you save you lose quality.

Ken
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
9 Apr 2011 11:37PM

Quote:By the way saving too much stuff on your desktop can mega slow your computer down

Yep!
I've only got five icons on my desktop.
I have a folder in "my documents" marked "downloads".
Everything I download lands in there by default and I move them to wherever I want them when it suits me to do so.
IanD 11 148 United Kingdom
10 Apr 2011 9:18AM
Folks, thanks very much for the replies.

Still nothing's changed. I tried saving the images as TIFF when converted from CR2 files and then making fine adjustments and then saving as JPEG. I thought i'd cracked it as they were saving ok, then one just randomly saved as a "white" thumbnail.

I have tried to search for the issue online but the only things I find mentioned are for all thumbnails showing as white, or issues relating to loading new imaging software, which I have done in DPP BUT it's only the odd thumbnail going "white" on me.

Incedently, I revisited the TIFF relating to that one, edited it again and re-saved, and this time it stayed as a proper thumbnail.

This is very weird!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.