Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

SB700 and Nikon D700

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    johnmac
    johnmac  491 forum posts
    9 Dec 2012 - 11:18 PM

Hi all, Can my D700 work in auto FP with my SB700. I have gone into my D700 menu and set it to auto FP320s but notice it doesn't come up with the FP symble on my SB700 in fact the only symble on my SB700 is a blanc box with the flash symble in top left corner.

Look forward to any help

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    9 Dec 2012 - 11:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

EddieAC
    EddieAC  9681 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Dec 2012 - 8:29 AM

Have you tried using the camera in "A" or "P" modes to take the picture? Page 305 of the manual states:

Quote: Use auto FP high-speed sync with SB-900, SB-800,
    SB-600, and SB-R200 flash units. If other flash units are used, shutter speed is set to
    1/320s. When the camera shows a shutter speed of 1/320s in exposure mode P or
    A, auto FP high-speed sync will be activated if the actual shutter speed is faster than 1/320s

From that I am guessing the shutter speed is set to 1/320s and you need to get a faster shutter speed in one of those modes to activate Auto FP as your flash is different from those listed.

Last Modified By EddieAC at 10 Dec 2012 - 8:30 AM
    scottishphototours

Don't think you can do AutoFP with an SB-700.... Sad

johnmac
    johnmac  491 forum posts
    10 Dec 2012 - 8:26 PM

Hi all, Just been on Nikon UK website and found the following in Support Section. Speedlights that support Auto FP - SB-900, SB-800, SB-600 and SU-800+SB-R200

Thanks all for replying and thankyou to scottishphototours, you were right.

Many thanks

Johnmac

P_Morgan
    P_Morgan  3 United Kingdom
    13 Dec 2012 - 6:28 AM

The SB700 supports Auto FP high-speed sync. However, it is only set on the camera not the flash:

Flash exposure control set on the camera section: http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/speedlights/sb-700/spec.htm

Also Auto FP etc. listed here http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/speedlights/compatibility.htm

Last Modified By P_Morgan at 13 Dec 2012 - 6:31 AM
    johnmac
    johnmac  491 forum posts
    13 Dec 2012 - 8:54 AM

Hi, I have gone into my 700 and set it to auto sync. I received the following reply from Nikon Support.

The SB-700 flash does not display the FP icon when the FP mode is active (unlike the SB-900) - however if you can take correctly exposed pictures with shutter speeds higher than 1/320s it means it is working correctly. With the FP mode disabled you would not be able to choose higher shutter speeds - it is an intentional limitation on the camera side.

I have tried it and I can take photos at 1/320s even though it doesn't show the FP Symbol.

Many thanks to all for taking the time to reply and for your advice. Being a novice I really appreciate any help I can get.

Johnmac

scottishphototours

Well Johnmac, you learn something new every day....not 100% right though - and P_Morgan's answer was better!!!

As for Nikon, why would you make a feature work on a flash and not inform the user?? - probably to make them buy the more expensive model of flashgun methinks. Good old Nikon... gotta love 'em!!

User_Removed
    13 Dec 2012 - 7:08 PM

Quote: Well Johnmac, you learn something new every day....not 100% right though - and P_Morgan's answer was better!!!

As for Nikon, why would you make a feature work on a flash and not inform the user?? - probably to make them buy the more expensive model of flashgun methinks. Good old Nikon... gotta love 'em!!

Wink

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.