Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

SB700 and Nikon D700

johnmac e2
4 91
9 Dec 2012 11:18PM
Hi all, Can my D700 work in auto FP with my SB700. I have gone into my D700 menu and set it to auto FP320s but notice it doesn't come up with the FP symble on my SB700 in fact the only symble on my SB700 is a blanc box with the flash symble in top left corner.

Look forward to any help

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

EddieAC e2
10 696 2 United Kingdom
10 Dec 2012 8:29AM
Have you tried using the camera in "A" or "P" modes to take the picture? Page 305 of the manual states:

Quote:Use auto FP high-speed sync with SB-900, SB-800,
SB-600, and SB-R200 flash units. If other flash units are used, shutter speed is set to
1/320s. When the camera shows a shutter speed of 1/320s in exposure mode P or
A, auto FP high-speed sync will be activated if the actual shutter speed is faster than 1/320s

From that I am guessing the shutter speed is set to 1/320s and you need to get a faster shutter speed in one of those modes to activate Auto FP as your flash is different from those listed.
10 Dec 2012 12:41PM
Don't think you can do AutoFP with an SB-700.... Sad
johnmac e2
4 91
10 Dec 2012 8:26PM
Hi all, Just been on Nikon UK website and found the following in Support Section. Speedlights that support Auto FP - SB-900, SB-800, SB-600 and SU-800+SB-R200

Thanks all for replying and thankyou to scottishphototours, you were right.

Many thanks

Johnmac
13 Dec 2012 6:28AM
The SB700 supports Auto FP high-speed sync. However, it is only set on the camera not the flash:

Flash exposure control set on the camera section: http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/speedlights/sb-700/spec.htm

Also Auto FP etc. listed here http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/speedlights/compatibility.htm
johnmac e2
4 91
13 Dec 2012 8:54AM
Hi, I have gone into my 700 and set it to auto sync. I received the following reply from Nikon Support.

The SB-700 flash does not display the FP icon when the FP mode is active (unlike the SB-900) - however if you can take correctly exposed pictures with shutter speeds higher than 1/320s it means it is working correctly. With the FP mode disabled you would not be able to choose higher shutter speeds - it is an intentional limitation on the camera side.

I have tried it and I can take photos at 1/320s even though it doesn't show the FP Symbol.

Many thanks to all for taking the time to reply and for your advice. Being a novice I really appreciate any help I can get.

Johnmac
13 Dec 2012 5:25PM
Well Johnmac, you learn something new every day....not 100% right though - and P_Morgan's answer was better!!!

As for Nikon, why would you make a feature work on a flash and not inform the user?? - probably to make them buy the more expensive model of flashgun methinks. Good old Nikon... gotta love 'em!!
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
13 Dec 2012 7:08PM

Quote:Well Johnmac, you learn something new every day....not 100% right though - and P_Morgan's answer was better!!!

As for Nikon, why would you make a feature work on a flash and not inform the user?? - probably to make them buy the more expensive model of flashgun methinks. Good old Nikon... gotta love 'em!!

Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.