Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

SB800 not firing reliably - advice on SB800 or SB910 for new one

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

AlexisRoberts
28 Jan 2012 - 9:30 AM

Good morning Scottishphototours - I hope you had a good sleep and get up in a better mood!

I do appreciate that some photographers have a lot more gear, and have been in the business for longer but we all have to start out somewhere. I have 5 lenses, 3 camera bodies and yes just one flash gun but am trying to decide on a new one now. Sorry if this upsets you but - I love what I do now, I love my customers, I am naturally creative and I understand the equipment well enough to have 100% customer satisfaction. I am still learning yes, and probably will be for the rest of my life. I think some photographers just forget where they started. Have a lovely weekend. And thanks again to all of you that have been constructive with your responses.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Jan 2012 - 9:30 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123854 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jan 2012 - 2:30 PM

He's a miserable old sonafabitch sometimes (GrinGrin) but he does have a very very valid point! If the wedding couple saw your post wouldn't they be worried?

To answer your question though I would scrap the SB800 and preferably buy a good s/h SB800 for the good reason that you know the apparatus or purchase the SB9100 and practise with it like mad.

If you visit Ffordes they have a s/h SB900 for 269 a pair of which I use.

Snapper
Snapper  93702 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jan 2012 - 3:00 PM

Andy can be a bit abrupt at times, but that doesn't mean that he's wrong! I have to use a compact at work and wouldn't stray more than about 100 yards from the car without a spare battery and memory card, and I would be completely sure that the battery was charged. I've now got a Panasonic without an additional battery and therefore have to carry a second compact in the car, simply because the cost of going back to get a photo may be exorbitant. Doing a wedding without a fully operational flash and a backup just sounds too scary to me, but each to their own.

scottishphototours

Great weekend so far Alexis, studio shoot this morning, venue meeting at 2pm and now lunch in an Italian restaurant in Glasgow. Why?, because come March these nice days will be over till November.

Honest me, if not abrupt. Peter has hit the nail on the head - what would your clients think of this post...

scottishphototours

...and I should have added that Peter's perfectly correct... I can be miserable Tongue

So to answer your question - I have found the SB-800's to be far more reliable than the 900's and perfectly capable of doing the job. As you know the 800 well, I'd spend the 120 on the repair (that's what it will cost you, cause I've had one done) and carry on using it. I'd then save up and buy another one (someone will be along to tell you about business planning pretty shortly...) as they are very much "business critical" pieces of kit.

There you are. Not miserable at all - just honest. Amazing what a nice meal does for ones mood... Wink

su671
su671  432 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Jan 2012 - 8:42 PM

thius discusion has gone of the rails alittle, sometimes thing break at the most inconvinate time and the MONEY factour "god i wish i could spell", anyway YESif you run a service you should have a Rainny Day Pot, for when things break, but if your skint "and self-employed people pay there TAX Bill at the end of January", well 1/2 of it, so that might be another reason why.

Im Self Employed "Window Cleaner for 30years", and i have a Credit Card which is just used for work stuff "a new flash gun if your a photographer", this means you have up to 6 weeks to pay for it, enougth time to do a few weddings and get stright again.

Times are hard for everyone, so my be people shouldnt give other people a hard time, as they dont know the full sercumstances "im sure thats spelt wrong" lol.

anyway getting of the subjet of FLASH GUNS, im reading Mastering The Nikon D7000 by Darrell Young,, good book, bought it for my Kindle and has been very helpful.

PS if youget the flash repaied or buy anew one, it will go agaist your next years tax bill,, so buy 2 Wink

AlexisRoberts
28 Jan 2012 - 10:24 PM

I see the funny side of all these comments after a nice day. I have always had back-ups of everything except a flash gun, I was delaying making the decision on which one for a few reasons (non financial reasons) - lesson learnt anyway. I just wish I could get another SB800 new, but will see if I can find fully serviced s/h one anywhere. I have today found a service place for my problematic one and told 120 which is great. So plan is to have 2.

Anyway thank you all whether you were helpful / miserable / grumpy / direct / abrupt - all forgiven and advice appreciated - team hug attached !! Wink

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62434 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
29 Jan 2012 - 10:37 AM

Adding some background I got my first SB 900 in Jan 2009 - so the chances of finding a new SB 800 which the SB 900 replaced are nil.
You perhaps picked a bad time for your 4 year old flash to reach the end of it's reliable life.
The SB 910 is just becoming available - but on new products retailers go deaf if you mention discount Sad
Whether you buy a lesser specified SB700, an "old stock" SB 900, or another brand is something only you can decide.
If you live near a "proper" pro shop like Dale in Leeds or a Calumet branch there is a good chance of second hand Nikon flash in stock or maybe hiring a flash from Calumet to give you more breathing space to make an informed decision.
On "overheating" SB 800's can eventually melt.
With the SB 900 you are good for about 50 full power shots at 30 second intervals before automatic default cut out, or about double in the menu default over-ride before the unit starts beeping audible warnings about the potential for meltdown. The SB 910 "works" by slowing up recharging time when it gets hot.
Hope this helps.

Snapper
Snapper  93702 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jan 2012 - 10:59 AM

Grays of Westminster have a mint- SB800 @ 230 and listed as "CLOSE TO NEW CONDITION. Diffuser, Manual, Extra battery holder, Filters, Flash stand."

scottishphototours

Quote: Grays of Westminster have a mint- SB800 @ 230 and listed as "CLOSE TO NEW CONDITION. Diffuser, Manual, Extra battery holder, Filters, Flash stand."

Hope Alexis doesn't see this... I'm off to snap this up...

Only kiddin... Tongue

Geoffphoto
29 Jan 2012 - 8:56 PM

And Mifsud's in Brixham have a used Nikon SB-800 Speedlight

Price: 239.00
Condition: Excellent++ & Boxed

might be worth a look or a telephone call !!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.