Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Scam or a steal

20 Jan 2013 1:10PM
Just seen this on gumtree.... Link

£800 WoW

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c e2
11 4.6k 36 England
20 Jan 2013 1:26PM
If there's any scams to be seen it's certainly on Gumtree.

I remember a while back seeing a high-end full carbon road (racing) bike, unused apparently and for an absolute fraction of the new price, which would have cost several thousand pounds. I had a bit of fun winding the fool up who was clearly a thieving Nigerian. My suspicions were certainly proved accurate after the seller positively confirmed several of my questions, i.e. Is it a fast bike? Does it come with a bell? Is a shopping basket fitted? Is the shopping basket carbon fibre and the latest aerodynamic shape as used by Mark Cavendish in the 2012 Tour de France? Does the bike come with a puncture repair kit? Is it possible for me to fit my stabilizers to the bike?, etc. etc. TongueTongue
The bike sounds like a dream machine as the seller answered yes to every question thrown at them, and there were certainly quite a few Wink, until I got bored of winding him up.
rambler e2
6 477 14 England
20 Jan 2013 2:06PM
Read it again carefully, low price, no reciept, =stolen goods?
thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
20 Jan 2013 2:24PM
Add to that the caution needed when we see a poor standard of English.

Then again, there are genuine bargains. You could meet the "seller" and pay cash. but you'd never be safe sending it to Canon for repair because they keep a register of dodgy serial numbers.
thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
20 Jan 2013 2:26PM
One local man "found" a Rolex watch and decided to keep it rather than hand it in to the police. He was caught out when he sent it in for service and it was logged as "lost". He was prosecuted for theft.
20 Jan 2013 2:27PM
Definite scam. Think about it: if you were short of cash would you be selling your new-in-box 5D Mark III and 24-105mm f/4L for 800 quid? You’d have to be singularly daft to do that.

The camera wasn’t stolen, it simply doesn’t exist.

Some warning signs:
• photo isn’t of the actual item being sold (this is even more significant now than it used to be, because everyone has a phone with a camera)
• lens isn’t mentioned in the subject. No real seller would omit such an important element
• littered with typos
• the SEO-friendly title, obviously taken from an online shop, would rarely be used by a personal seller, and the specific wording with the bizarre spelling ‘Blacko’ has been used in several other deleted auctions on Gumtree and elsewhere, i.e. the guy’s a serial fraudster
• anniversary gifts don’t come with the junk included in this package, e.g. universal battery charger, gadget bag, compact tripod. Package deals on e-commerce sites do. This one came from Currys
• claims to be a woman, since people trust women more. Always a warning sign in combination with other risks

Don’t be a sucker.
big fella e2
11 485 England
20 Jan 2013 4:17PM
Advert no longer available - nuff said!
20 Jan 2013 4:55PM
I was never going near it Wink Would of been a bloody bargain if it had of been realSmile
Recently, in the Leicestershire section, there was for sale, a brand new Canon 300mm f2.8 for £600!

Talk about ringing the alarm bells as one posts!

I treat all adverts placed on Gumtree with the contempt that they, most likely, deserve!

Andy

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.