Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Scam or a steal

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ChrisStyles
    20 Jan 2013 - 1:10 PM

Just seen this on gumtree....Link

£800 WoW

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Jan 2013 - 1:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c
    justin c  104512 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Jan 2013 - 1:26 PM

If there's any scams to be seen it's certainly on Gumtree.

I remember a while back seeing a high-end full carbon road (racing) bike, unused apparently and for an absolute fraction of the new price, which would have cost several thousand pounds. I had a bit of fun winding the fool up who was clearly a thieving Nigerian. My suspicions were certainly proved accurate after the seller positively confirmed several of my questions, i.e. Is it a fast bike? Does it come with a bell? Is a shopping basket fitted? Is the shopping basket carbon fibre and the latest aerodynamic shape as used by Mark Cavendish in the 2012 Tour de France? Does the bike come with a puncture repair kit? Is it possible for me to fit my stabilizers to the bike?, etc. etc. TongueTongue
    The bike sounds like a dream machine as the seller answered yes to every question thrown at them, and there were certainly quite a few Wink, until I got bored of winding him up.

Last Modified By justin c at 20 Jan 2013 - 1:29 PM
    rambler
    rambler e2 Member 5465 forum postsrambler vcard England14 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Jan 2013 - 2:06 PM

Read it again carefully, low price, no reciept, =stolen goods?

thewilliam
    20 Jan 2013 - 2:24 PM

Add to that the caution needed when we see a poor standard of English.

Then again, there are genuine bargains. You could meet the "seller" and pay cash. but you'd never be safe sending it to Canon for repair because they keep a register of dodgy serial numbers.

thewilliam
    20 Jan 2013 - 2:26 PM

One local man "found" a Rolex watch and decided to keep it rather than hand it in to the police. He was caught out when he sent it in for service and it was logged as "lost". He was prosecuted for theft.

samueldilworth
    20 Jan 2013 - 2:27 PM

Definite scam. Think about it: if you were short of cash would you be selling your new-in-box 5D Mark III and 24-105mm f/4L for 800 quid? You’d have to be singularly daft to do that.

The camera wasn’t stolen, it simply doesn’t exist.

Some warning signs:
    • photo isn’t of the actual item being sold (this is even more significant now than it used to be, because everyone has a phone with a camera)
    • lens isn’t mentioned in the subject. No real seller would omit such an important element
    • littered with typos
    • the SEO-friendly title, obviously taken from an online shop, would rarely be used by a personal seller, and the specific wording with the bizarre spelling ‘Blacko’ has been used in several other deleted auctions on Gumtree and elsewhere, i.e. the guy’s a serial fraudster
    • anniversary gifts don’t come with the junk included in this package, e.g. universal battery charger, gadget bag, compact tripod. Package deals on e-commerce sites do. This one came from Currys
    • claims to be a woman, since people trust women more. Always a warning sign in combination with other risks

Don’t be a sucker.

big fella
    big fella  11485 forum posts England
    20 Jan 2013 - 4:17 PM

Advert no longer available - nuff said!

ChrisStyles
    20 Jan 2013 - 4:55 PM

I was never going near it Wink Would of been a bloody bargain if it had of been realSmile

Keebsuk
    Keebsuk Junior Member 132 forum posts United Kingdom
    22 Jan 2013 - 2:28 AM

Recently, in the Leicestershire section, there was for sale, a brand new Canon 300mm f2.8 for £600!

Talk about ringing the alarm bells as one posts!

I treat all adverts placed on Gumtree with the contempt that they, most likely, deserve!

Andy

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.