Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Scanning OLD slides

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    tmurphy
    tmurphy  11
    21 Aug 2003 - 11:40 PM

Does anybody know how to get OLD slides scanned in? I'm talking 1975 to 1979 ish.

I have a Canoscan 8000F which will scan 4 slides at a time in through an adapter, but it's expecting modern film ratio's, the old slides I have sqaure transpancies.

I could possible have over 1000 to scan in ?

Anybody know any cheats?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 Aug 2003 - 11:40 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

macroman
    macroman  1115312 forum posts England
    22 Aug 2003 - 11:28 AM

Ok I know this is very basic stick & string technology!

If you have a digicam, you could try laying them on a piece of opal perspex lit from behind.
    Set camera on tripod and photograph them in macro mode.
    It may be trail and error to start with but it should work OK.

I recently had to some 12x16 mounted portraits submitted for our website Gallery and I only have an A4 scanner.

I placed the pix on the floor in sunlight and photographed them with my Sony DSCP71, hand held on auto.
    They came out superb, and quicker than scanning, as I didn't have to play around wth colour balance etc., just crop the mount and resize.

ken j.
    ken j.  11372 forum posts
    22 Aug 2003 - 1:18 PM

Ivan,
    Would your 'stick and string' method work using a basic slide viewer and taking a macro photo direct from that?
    I too, have some old slides I'd like to digitalise but as it's likely to be a 'one off' operation I'm loath to spend on any special gear.

macroman
    macroman  1115312 forum posts England
    23 Aug 2003 - 7:38 AM

Many of the of the cheaper basic slide viewers are probably similar to the one I have, consisting of a large convex lens, lit from a low voltage bulb, through which the slide is viewed.

Mine produces noticeable distortion of the pic and the lamp gives a colour cast to the slide.

The simple answer is try it and see, it doesn't cost anything with a digi and you can see what you are getting in the lcd screen.

I find a digi very handy for trying out daft ideas, as if they don't work you haven't wasted valuable 's on film & processing.
    And if it works you can then replicate it with a proper camera ;o))

ken j.
    ken j.  11372 forum posts
    23 Aug 2003 - 2:27 PM

Thanks Ivan,
    I'll give it a try.
    It'll involve visiting the darkest recesses of my attic to find my old transparency viewer but while I'm there I may find some of my old 'proper' cameras. ;o))

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.