Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

School girl banned from taking dinner photo's

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MrGoatsmilk
15 Jun 2012 - 12:02 PM

Just the saw the following article on the BBC site, I think she was putting togther a really good blog from what I read in the article.

Why did the staff instead of saying they feared for their jobs due to the blog (I'm presuming that being down to the quality of the food served), not instead in conjunction with the council and catering make their meals some of the best there is and use the blog to showcase how good things can be.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Jun 2012 - 12:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022821 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jun 2012 - 12:24 PM

I'm not surprised they panicked.

Quote: Martha gave this cheeseburger a health rating of just 2/10

In her blog shows a lethargic looking burger, two potato based turds, three slices of cucumber and an.......ice lolly....a bloody ice lolly!!!

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54244 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jun 2012 - 12:28 PM

Good for Martha. Too many cover-ups.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012557 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jun 2012 - 12:29 PM

Theres also alot of good stuff in her blog. I submitted it as a news story here early this morning (nothing up though Sad) but glad you posted Smile

Last Modified By answersonapostcard at 15 Jun 2012 - 12:33 PM
Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jun 2012 - 12:40 PM

Having had a quick look at her blog, can't say I blame the school sadly. If I were served up that kind of slop on a daily basis I don't think anybody would want it advertised!!

Just goes to show school dinners haven't improved in the slightest since I was at school some 40 years + ago.

Ade

kaybee
kaybee  103773 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jun 2012 - 12:44 PM

They originally said it was okay to photograph it.
They would do better to improve the food than do a U-turn and stop her.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012557 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
15 Jun 2012 - 12:45 PM

Bear in mind that its not all from her school, alot of the pictures are sent to her from around the world. And it wasnt the school that banned her photographs - it was the local authority.

statement by the LA here http://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/news/2012/jun/statement-school-meals-argyll-and-bu...

Last Modified By answersonapostcard at 15 Jun 2012 - 12:55 PM
robthecamman
15 Jun 2012 - 1:22 PM

its local council big brother

monstersnowman
15 Jun 2012 - 1:26 PM

I am not surprised the local authority have done this when the blog results in headlines such as 'Time To Sack the Dinner Ladies' ... is it really their fault ??

These blog crusades are rarely balanced or scientific in their representation of facts and potentially can mislead or misrepresent in an unhelpful way. The meals cost 2 and for that price I would expect slop, albeit, supposedly nutritionally planned and balanced, so maybe if the parents are not happy it is time to raise the price to 4 and get a better quality menu - although I think the dissatisfaction with the menu may quickly become dissatisfaction with the price. Hopefully though, if there are issues with the menu this blog will have highlighted an issue that can be discussed in a better and more constructive forum than a blog.

Last Modified By monstersnowman at 15 Jun 2012 - 1:27 PM
Jestertheclown
15 Jun 2012 - 1:27 PM

I worked in a school as a lunchtime supervisor (amongst many other things) for five years and if we'd ever served up the kind of rubbish that appears in the photographs that I've just seen in her blog, the governing body, of which I was also member, would have sacked the caterer on the spot.
Whilst I think that it's wrong and extremely unfair that the council have stopped her from taking photographs, I can plainly see why they've done it. I would also want to hide the fact that I was charging 2.00 a day to give meals of that dismal quality to children.
The catering staff, or at least the management behind the catering should be in fear of losing their jobs.

answersonapostcard
15 Jun 2012 - 1:28 PM

Quote: I am not surprised the local authority have done this when the blog results in headlines such as 'Time To Sack the Dinner Ladies' ... is it really their fault ??

No, probably not, the spin on it didnt really help but a more balanced judgement might have been in order.

Jestertheclown
15 Jun 2012 - 1:33 PM

Quote: The meals cost 2 and for that price I would expect slop,

Not at all.

The dinners in the school where I used to work could never have been descried as 'slop.' Their quality was never going to be fine dining either but it was at least on par with any 'ordinary' High Street outlet.
And the meals at the school with which I'm currently involved are every bit as good.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 15 Jun 2012 - 1:34 PM
answersonapostcard
15 Jun 2012 - 1:34 PM

They've just dropped the ban.

Jestertheclown
15 Jun 2012 - 1:37 PM

Quote: They've just dropped the ban.

Good.

I know that this was never supposed to be a crusade for better meals but regardless, it has highlighted the lack of quality in the meals that are on offer so let's hope that all the fuss that they've caused will prompt the caterers to rethink their strategies.

monstersnowman
15 Jun 2012 - 2:03 PM

It is laughable though, what is served up on the plate in the picture. I don't honestly think it is worth 2 ... I would like to know whether this was the most that was offered as a lunch, what the alternatives were and on what basis the child's 2/10 rating was arrived at. I personally took control of my children's meals from day one of reception year by giving them a healthy and carefully chosen pack-up followed by hot meals at tea.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.