Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

School Photos? What time of year are they taken?

Attention!

This topic is locked.

Reason : qa ds

Lucian 4 561
25 Jul 2013 10:27AM
I am thinking about doing school photography. Can anyone tell me what time of year schools get their pupils photographed. thanks.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
25 Jul 2013 10:40AM
good question... no idea, I'd guess it's early on in the school year, can't actually remember when we had them done, was a while ago.

I don't think there's a specific season.
Quoise e2
1 298 United Kingdom
25 Jul 2013 10:46AM
It also depends on whether it is a state or independent school, as the time of year varies.
JohnParminter 7 1.2k 14 England
25 Jul 2013 10:46AM
The primary school where my kids attend get photographed in November.

It may well be that each school arranges dates which is different and suitable to them.

You will most likely need to do your own research for what you intend to do.
25 Jul 2013 10:55AM
A lot have them done October/November to give them the chance to be given as "presents' to family at Christmas!
scottishphototours 10 2.5k 2 Scotland
25 Jul 2013 11:10AM
I can almost guarantee that this is a step too far Lucian. Companies like Tempest have been doing this for years and have local authority contracts and a huge infrastructure to support their shoots and fulfilment of prints.

Why not do Nursery shoots? - many are privately owned and with a few nice ideas (graduation cloaks and hats, scrolls etc.), you could do quite well...
timbo 12 591 United Kingdom
25 Jul 2013 12:24PM
This is how i make a good lump of my income. you've left it too late to get into it this year as most is done in September. You will find it hard to compete with the big companies as they pay mad commissions. You could try contacting them and work as a freelancer but it's tedious work.
collywobles 10 3.3k 9 United Kingdom
25 Jul 2013 12:27PM
Have to say am looking forward to seeing what package Lucian offers.

............. and if you plan to do this and nurseries, don't forget a CRB check.
timbo 12 591 United Kingdom
25 Jul 2013 12:34PM
BTW A crb is almost impossible to get as a sole trader. You are meant to get one for every venue you work at.
Paul_Anthony 2 369 4 Wales
25 Jul 2013 1:02PM
We have looked into this.

We came up with a new take / idea for school photography (and as far as we can tell through research, pretty unique too). The schools and parents we showed the example images to loved it, but unfortunately they all were not willing to change from their current long standing photographer(s). They all either had contracts with large companies (i.e Tempest) or just didn't want to have to tell the independent photographer that a large part of his income was going to be taken away. I'm sure you will all say that the idea we had couldn't have been that good in that case.... but they really did love it and preferred it to the current photographers style / set up, they genuinely just didn't want the hassle of dealing with a change.

It's a really difficult area of photography to get into. As long as the parents are buying the photographs and the school is getting a cut then why would the school change?

Something we have done and perhaps something worth considering for yourself Lucian is taking a small studio set up to local Playgroups, Soft Play Areas and Nurseries instead. Perhaps a Cute Kid Competition with free entry, but they have to come back to choose the photograph entered from say 3 images, and thats when you sell them a print pack or enlargement. Your never going to be a millionaire but it all helps create income and get your name out there.

Paul Grin