Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sci-fi film shot on the Canon 5Dmk2

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    park my ferret
    8 Mar 2012 - 12:03 PM

Hi everyone,

over the past 8 months me and a friend have been trying to shoot and edit a mini sci-fi movie on my Canon 5D mk2 and 7D cameras

I'm happy to say that it's finally finished and now online - together with a blog site detailing some of the problems and soloutions we encountered whist shooting the film.

please take a look if you have some time, and if you like it, feel free to spread the word - Thanks Smile

the link to the site is below:
    film website

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Mar 2012 - 12:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KevSB
    KevSB  101387 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Mar 2012 - 12:34 PM

I have just watched it as im about to set out on this same journey into video so had an intrest. The film was very well made and felt I could be watching a film or tv show, It seemed to be very intresting but found it very hard to keep up and hang on every word at this time of morning.

I will watch it again tonight when Im in a more relaxed mood when I can hang on the storyline which is very deep(for me).
    I was also intrested in the technique's as I am using the same cemera and found myself very impressed how you used lighting and Dof to create atmosphere.

made me look forward to starting my own project, Im sure will not be half as good as this but have to start someplace. well done and look forward to seeing more, I will also take a look at your earlier videos when i have a chance.

Last Modified By KevSB at 8 Mar 2012 - 12:35 PM
    park my ferret
    8 Mar 2012 - 1:03 PM

Hi Kev,
    thanks for watching it and for the comments - don't worry, it's not just you - it's hard for us to follow it too (and we know the plot) - due to the fact that we wrote the script and shot it within about a week! and didn't have the luxury of going back and tweaking it etc, but I think it does get easier to understand on a second watch.

good luck with your project - I hope it goes well Smile

regards
    Paul

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1218416 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Mar 2012 - 1:15 PM

I thought the beginning bedroom scene was superb and intriguing, but (and I hope you don't mind me saying) I got bored in the underworld section. I think it was the acting that didn't seem convincing enough. (not sure but I wasn't gripped). Love the lighting and filming throughout, especially things like the cut from face to clock in the first scene, and the dropping of the signed documents. The blog is great idea for those wanting to make their own movies lots of useful info, things like LED on hand for the chest light which looked convincing.

park my ferret
    8 Mar 2012 - 1:35 PM

Cheers Pete, I appreciate your comments. and thanks for sticking with it til the end Wink

yes, most people will find that middle bit the most challenging to watch, especially if they have a short attention span !
    Regarding the blog, yes, thats what it's all about really, the shortcomings and problems of trying to do something on this scale, but in a limited time frame. Smile

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1218416 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Mar 2012 - 1:42 PM

Quote: especially if they have a short attention span

lol, thanks Wink I have the ability to watch and enjoy films by Werner Herzog and you need a stupidly huge attention span for some of his scenes, but there's something that compels you to watch... Try watching the Enigma of Kasper Hauser.

Incidentally I'm regularly mentioning you and your music videos, which I like to keep an eye on. Have any of the artists had any major successes yet?

Last Modified By Pete at 8 Mar 2012 - 1:45 PM
    park my ferret
    8 Mar 2012 - 1:46 PM

Ours must have seemed like a 30 second advert then! Wink

johnnyboy114
    8 Mar 2012 - 2:31 PM

Well, just had the dubious pleasure of watching this with no sound at all! At work, not possible, so I can only comment on purely a "photographic" level. For obvious reasons, I couldn't follow a story or had no idea what each character was saying, but from what I could see....visually, it was very, very impressive. Its amazing what these DSLR's are doing with video nowadays. I wouldn't have been able to know that this wasn't a pro camera or done with a massive budget. The lighting, the sets, the acting, the use of the camera....all superb as far as I could tell. Very impressive indeed for the setup. I have a 7D myself and have been told over and over again that the video quality on it is utterly superb, yet I have never done anything with it. This has definitely made me want to look into this a little more now.....

Well done, good luck with this and hope it pays off. This is a seriously accomplished bit of work with the gear you were using......makes you think eh?

park my ferret
    8 Mar 2012 - 3:52 PM

Thanks John , maybe watching it with the sound down is the way to go Smile

Jat_Riski
    Jat_Riski  559 forum posts United Kingdom
    8 Mar 2012 - 4:35 PM

Superb, I like it. Well done.

cameracat
    cameracat  108574 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Mar 2012 - 7:07 PM

I loved it, But then I'm an old " Twilight Zone " & " Tales Of The Unexpected " fan, ....Smile

Very impressed....Grin

strawman
    strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Mar 2012 - 10:22 PM

Just spent the last 5 min behind the sofa, if that is the 1st attempt I am impressed. The filming worked well and like Pete I did like the shift in focus from the bloke to the clock to the woman ,it worked well. I would have gone for a fish eye lens or a lensbaby for the "underworld scene" to add a distortion to the view (probably too B Moovey) though your lighting works well and it hangs together.

A directors cut with the underworld scene half the length?

I would not have known where to start, cracking attempt.

park my ferret
    9 Mar 2012 - 10:39 AM

Cheers everyone Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.