Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Get on1's Perfect Effects 9.5 for FREE! (£48 value)

Scooter Engine Trouble

FatHandedChap 9 1.3k England
16 Sep 2008 7:33PM
Any mechanically minded people who could have any ideas.
I've got a four stroke 125 scooter which is playing up. It starts fine, ticks over fine, but has sluggish acceleration (especially if you wind it right open) and also goes really sluggish once it reaches 45mph ( it was previously really nippy and easily made 60mph). My thoughts are something around the carb, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

Cheers

Tony

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dougv Plus
11 8.4k 3 England
16 Sep 2008 7:40PM
It certainly wouldn't hurt to clean the carb out Tony.
It sounds like the main jet has a blockage which will make it run weak at anything except tickover.

A long time since I did anything with carburettors.

Smile
16 Sep 2008 8:06PM
It ran fine the other day for one journey, but has been pants for the past couple of weeks and the scooter is only 3 months old!
Dugi34 8 917 United Kingdom
16 Sep 2008 8:25PM
I would take it back to your supplier if it's under warranty, or you may void any warrnty on the scooter. It could be an electrical fault, especially if you have been caught in our "summer" weather, Check the spark pug and h.t. lead as well as the carb if you are going to attempt a repair. good luck.
Doug
16 Sep 2008 8:28PM
The joys of a chinese import, warranty is for parts only. Just wondering if it's something simple before I take it to a bike shop.
Dugi34 8 917 United Kingdom
16 Sep 2008 8:33PM
Did you by any chance run out of fuel or run the tank almost dry before it started playing up ? it could be a simple blockage in the fuel line or filter if it has one, or the carb as previously suggested.
Doug
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
16 Sep 2008 8:54PM
? Has it got very wet in recent days......?

It's possible that some damp or water lodged near the ignition coil/leads/Plug cap etc....Will allow the engine to run, But because of a weakened spark ( due to damp ) cause loss of power, Especially under load........!

HTH......
brian1208 Plus
11 10.7k 12 United Kingdom
16 Sep 2008 8:54PM
Sounds like a carb and or fuel filter problem to me too.

One thought, have you had the scooter out in this recent wet weather, I'm wondering if you've got a slug of water in the fuel / carb?
16 Sep 2008 8:55PM
Always a couple of quids worth of fuel left in the tank before a fill up, will check fuel filter and carb tomorrow.

Not a fair weather rider so it has been enjoying a shower or two lately.
ripleysalien 8 1.2k 11 United Kingdom
17 Sep 2008 10:22AM
3 months old, parts only or not, take it back as it is not fit for the reason it was sold. 12 months standard on goods in the uk regardless of where made, take it back and TELL, dont ask them to fix the problem or return it for a new one.

Steve
jondf 8 2.7k
17 Sep 2008 9:32PM
Could be timing or as already said, carb setup. However, I had a Vespa 50 once. It developed a similar problem. I went back to the garage where it was bought and a mechanic took hold of a longish metal bar and rammed it up the exhaust half a dozen times then revved the engine a bit and a load of rubbish flew out. It was ok after that. However, can't remember whether it was 2-stroke or 4

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.