Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Scotland - The Land Beyond The North

Ewanneil 4 1.1k 2 Scotland
25 Aug 2010 8:50AM
I should say from the outset that this is a rant. My apologies if you are all "ranted-out".

Anyway. Yesterday I was asked to complete an on-line survey on what I thought of the BBC's website. I only got as far as Q3 when I gave up in disgust. The survey asked "Where are you right now?", and gave a list of 17 (I think) locations to choose from. I scanned down the list looking for a box to tick (SE Scotland or the Scottish Borders) to discover that my only option was "Scotland". This, despite the fact that if you live the the Midlands you could choose from living in the East or West Midlands and that there were numerous options covering the North of England.

This really gets my goat as it happens time and time again. Why is Scotland treated like a small and insignificant region of the UK? We appear to be "The land beyond the North". Where else on earth is the North of a country actually in the South? If you look at Britain as a whole then Manchester is in the south not the north. The Midlands are in the far south not the bl**dy middle.

Now I know that in terms of population Scotland compares to many English regions but to put all of Scotland into one category is ludicrous and disrespectful. There is massive demographic variation across Scotland; certainly as much as there is in any other part of the UK. How can you lump together the views of people who live in areas as diverse as the Borders; the Central Belt; the Highlands; the Hebrides and the Northern Isles?

So, to the people who see Scotland in this way please show us some respect. Otherwise just write "Here be Dragons" across the map of Scotland and be done with it.

Rant over. I feel much better now. If you read this far thanks.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 7 2.2k 3 United Kingdom
25 Aug 2010 9:06AM
Ewan, There are plenty of people like me who have the misfortune to live south of the border that think that Scotland is the centre of the universe. If the knobs in London want to delude themselves about the importance of the 'capital' then let them. We all know the truth Grin The persistence in London-speak of the use of the word 'provinces' and 'provincial' says it all.
25 Aug 2010 10:11AM
Thanks Chris. I've calmed down now. It's amazing how therapeutic a rant can be. There are, after all, more important things going on in the world but every now and then something just seems to bug your ar*e and this was it. Maybe if I got out a bit more....
kaybee 10 3.9k 24 Scotland
25 Aug 2010 10:19AM
.........and as for the weather forecasts - maybe 5 seconds to cover the entire Scottish weather but 2 minutes for the area within the M25.
Even Europe gets more time on it weather than we do -- what the hell is that all about?
25 Aug 2010 10:59AM

Quote:.........and as for the weather forecasts - maybe 5 seconds to cover the entire Scottish weather but 2 minutes for the area within the M25.
Even Europe gets more time on it weather than we do -- what the hell is that all about?

Aaaggghhhh! Just when I'd calmed down. Don't get me started on that as well or I'll need therapy (if I don't already).
Anthony 13 5.6k 17 Scotland
25 Aug 2010 11:18AM
not being funny here, have you logged any kind of complaint with the BBC?

Anthony
25 Aug 2010 11:33AM
Yes. I sent an e-mail yesterday pointing out that when you want people to complete a survey it's best not to alienate or antagonise your target group otherwise you are unlikely to get the response rate you want. No reply yet.
jonah794 5 1.7k 11 United Kingdom
25 Aug 2010 12:14PM
I can see exactly what you're getting at here. When I was in Scotland, I just wanted weather info, and they only ever focus on the south (where the weather is better and more predictable). That's just so they don't make a mistake about Scottish weather.
25 Aug 2010 6:37PM
Never mind the weather, now the road signs ect are now in Gaelic, YEA, like the vast majority of Scots speak that.
Them that do speak it do live in the land beyond the north.
Camairish 9 1.3k Scotland
25 Aug 2010 7:08PM
5 seconds is excessive for our weather report if you ask me. I can do it in two. It's crap.
Snapper 9 3.8k 3 United States Outlying Islands
25 Aug 2010 8:57PM
Just back from hols in NW Scotland. If it's wet, it's raining. If it isn't wet, it'll be raining shortly. Oh, and apart from 3 days of gales, I've never had 2 weeks with so little wind and so, so many midgies. SadSad
cattyal e2
9 6.1k 6 England
25 Aug 2010 9:05PM
It's been lovely in Edinburgh today....... Smile
25 Aug 2010 9:28PM
yes - but did the weather forcast say it was going to be nice?
Not yesterday it didn't
cattyal e2
9 6.1k 6 England
25 Aug 2010 9:30PM
The fiorcast I saw said that today was going to be the best of the week - I almost didn't turn up Wink
26 Aug 2010 10:11AM
I am so glad you did

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.